Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Is DVD collecting a waste of money in your opinion?

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Re: Is DVD collecting a waste of money in your opinion?

Postby JeepSwensonfan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Shinobi_X wrote: And my Ulysses 31 and Mask box sets..

Good man.

We collect 80's cartoons on dvd, as there is no chance on them being released on Blu-ray. Gots a nice little collection of them.
JeepSwensonfan

Postby Videopac » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 pm

I now collect Dvds of films that no longer get shown on TV but I used to watch a lot. My fear is that films I want to see will no longer be available.
And I don't own a PC ..not that I trust that anyway. Lol.
Compliance.
Videopac

Postby straydog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 pm

My brother had a decent size collection around 600. He has since culled it down to probably half of that. Myself, I only have the South Park series on DVD. It is something that I could easily stream but I love the psychical copies (hence retro games and music CDs too). Did contemplate selling them off recently but not really sure where I sit with that idea.
straydog

Postby Bee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:21 am

DVD collecting is as VHS collecting in the 80's, 90's ...there are still rare VHS cassettes out there, e.g. some Disney Black Editions
Bee

Postby Noobsaibot21 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 pm

I've transitioned to a consume and move on mentality. Never even got on the Bluray wagon but my brother did and he picks up collectable stuff all the time like Arrow UK BR releases. As for DVD, I'll keep stuff I'll rewatch like Futurama S1-4, Seinfeld, Red Dwarf but generally, just trying to clear them now. SSame with music CDs. Sadly, Music Magpie don't do Ireland. CEX is near though...
Noobsaibot21

Postby T Moleman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 pm

There's loads of reasons to own DVDs, the main 4 for me are:

1.) A lot of shows and movies for a lot of reasons will never get the BR treatment or appear on streaming services, mainly because of expired rights or popularity.

2.) DVD special features such as commentary tracks and multi language options that aren't available via streaming. Or may have different features of latter releases.

3.) When DVD's get their BR transfer in too many cases a director will go back and change the colour timing or add effects and scenes. I'm a massive Aliens fan but the BR film has an entirely 'blue filtered' look which is nothing like the original cinema screening, VHS/DVD. For others I'm sure the original Star Wars Trilogy will be a better example.

4.) Too many BR releases are just upscaled DVDs, in the case of Escape From New York the laserdisc was already quite a poor print which was then put onto DVD which was then transferred to BR, yes the Blu Ray transfer was an upscalled laserdisc. , if you have a decent BR player DVDs still look amazing. I actually watched through my DVD LotR collection a few months ago and the image quality on my 50inch plasma was quite simply stunning.
T Moleman

Postby Noobsaibot21 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 pm

I think the Predator BluRay releases highlight it well too. 1st release was poorly upscaled, grainy footage. The second issue they removed ALL of the Grain and it looked like a Pixar movie. Not even sure it's had any further rereleases...
Noobsaibot21

Postby T Moleman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Yeah, Digital Noise Reduction has had some ghastly implementations. I actually had that Predator BR release and ended up sending back
T Moleman

Postby KeyranSolo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:43 am

I still get DVD's, I don't think it's a waste of time or money. I've found that blu-rays are way cheaper now than they used to be, so I'll get the occasional blu-ray from time to time, too.

PRIMARILY COLLECT PS1 GAMES. SEE COLLECTION HERE: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... KeyranSolo
KeyranSolo

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion