Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Is DVD collecting a waste of money in your opinion?

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Is DVD collecting a waste of money in your opinion?

Postby shotblue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 am

So I was thinking the other day about this. With many cable programs streaming movies, torrents, online resources and a large bootleg and swapping market next to blu-ray and re-writable blu-ray is there a point to collecting new release DVDs?

Also I find many dvds also suffer from deterioration in the quality of the movie only after 5-6 years after a couple of plays.

For some reasons even though it's a decent and commonly used format I don't see it offering what older analog formats and newer cutting edge formats have, enough to make collectable in this sense. What do dvds do for you?

What are you thoughts on this? Even though I collect movies on different formats, I always though if you are constantly collecting new release dvds a good reason behind this would be to use them for some kind of immediate film-related inspiration or to have the ability to watch them 20 times over and not get sick of them to justify the price next to the physical original copy ownership factor. But each to his own.

What are your thoughts on this?
shotblue

Re: Is DVD collecting a waste of money in your opinion?

Postby Joe Boy 1986 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:13 am

I collect DVD's and Blu-Rays, and admittedly I certainly do not buy brand new DVD's. It is only a matter of time before DVD's die out and we've got just Blu-Rays and digital download/streaming. I can't see them getting rid of discs completely tbh. Some people are'nt happy unless they have the product in their hands.
Joe Boy 1986

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/J

Postby shotblue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 am

Joe Boy 1986 wrote:I collect DVD's and Blu-Rays, and admittedly I certainly do not buy brand new DVD's. It is only a matter of time before DVD's die out and we've got just Blu-Rays and digital download/streaming. I can't see them getting rid of discs completely tbh. Some people are'nt happy unless they have the product in their hands.

Discs maybe a different form will be around for a while..

The thing is watching movies on tv, (4 - 5 channels that play movies and pay-per view) really has been going on for a long time. People act as if movies devoid of a physical format is this entirely new concept or something and i don't think it rings true.

My point it you have enough by renting physical DVDs ( which are now in the 10000's and cheap), viewing ( cable, home-taping, pay-per-view, cinema, legal downloads or streams) and Blu-ray than than collecting standard dvds. The second issue is the quality of the dvds (bad transfers, standard/ average quality) , and the deterioration of the dvds. (rot, and scratches)

Analog format such as 8mm, 16mm and laserdisc offer a different viewing experience that is closest to the original film (and whatever film offers as a format) and often carrries sometimes superior viewing experince and/or different aspects compared to the the latest HD - Digital resolution format that is being put out today. Which is why this format has a lot more to offer especially for collector purposes. VHS and Betamax do not match laser or 16mm but they still offer the analog which isn't that amazing , which could explain why they often get slammed as being "retro craze" fads but they are still up there.

This isn't to say this to say the latest HD- digital isn't good lol. analog offer different things and is worth collecting in my opinion compared to standard dvds. But to each his own.

collecting stuff like is money better spent in my opinion:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Begins-35mm-movie-trailer-RARE-Mint-Condition-/200823366924?pt=US_Film&hash=item2ec201650c

I usually seek out ,once and while, independent movies and concerts that are harder to find on dvd. But if i'm really obsessed with a certain movie or obscure documentary I would get it on dvd which again is once and a while.
Last edited by shotblue on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shotblue

Postby flaminsham » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:45 pm

I would say yes, it is a waste of money, this is because of all the internet streaming and downloads and no one really purchases DVD's anymore, same with blue ray, the price of blue rays has dropped down enormously.....just my opinion.
flaminsham

Postby maD_mAN1983 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:25 pm

i don't think it's a waste directly, i always buy the movies i enjoy, but i usually watch the movie online first, to see if i like and if it is worth buying, i like to have the real deal, not a bunch of 1's and 0's, if the internet is out, it is nice to have something you can watch or while the power is out, and you can't do that unless you have the dvd/blu-ray legaly, sure you can download a bunch of movies and store on the laptop, but it don't feel the same has having the real deal
maD_mAN1983

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-875.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-875.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/m ... My-Photos/

Postby Joe Boy 1986 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:33 pm

Is this not the same as owning the actual game or having an emulation copy? I genuinely love my DVD collection and avidly collect it the same way I've been trying to collect games.
With people like me, and still the majority of the globe I imagine, I can't see physical copies of movies disapearing. Are they bringing other new disc based movie?
Joe Boy 1986

Postby shotblue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Hey I know the benefits of this i'm aware dvds have an advantage of digital downloads and are collectable. I'm not saying anything against physical formats in fact i'm just saying that it's not a new thing to watch movies on tv without a physical format.

I just feel that dvds are kinda always there so I personally don't see a point when hit movies in particular are overplayed on television first and foremost even though both this and internet downloads are of a lower quality in some way.

But everyone has different priorities and reasons for what they do here....
shotblue

Postby Joe Boy 1986 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 pm

funny you should say that about telly.

I will actively avoid watching a movie on telly if it's one I own or one I want to buy. But DVD's are hardly a waste of money nowadays considering what you can pick them up from amazon for.
Joe Boy 1986

Postby Showaddywaddy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Not in the slightest.
I love my DvD collection, 3000 and counting.

It started off 4/5 years ago when i was 16. When i was at college we had a Chips next door that sold old games/DvDs.
Used to pick up DvDs for 20P each etc.

Now ive moved onto full time work, i usually spend about 50-100 pound on DvDs each month.
A lot of them are usually collectors editions and limited runs.

Hell, ATM im watching LOTR, with cast commentary. Cant find that online :P (Well you probably could)
I love film making and love watching the "Behind the scenes" features for epics like LOTR/Star Wars/Star Trek.

Its the same as Game Collecting, A lot of people i know always say "Why bother, new consoles come out all the time"
I just like having the object in hand, could i do something more productive with my money... Maybe, im sure i could save 7/800 pound a month up for something but ive got nothing i want yet that costs that much so whats the point.
Showaddywaddy

Postby adam763 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Joe Boy 1986 wrote:Is this not the same as owning the actual game or having an emulation copy? I genuinely love my DVD collection and avidly collect it the same way I've been trying to collect games.
With people like me, and still the majority of the globe I imagine, I can't see physical copies of movies disapearing. Are they bringing other new disc based movie?

I think the comment by Joe Boy (quoted above) hits the nail squarely on the head! I think it compares well to the physical cartridge versus the emulated game. There are thousands of individuals collecting vinyl records and the like, And one day in the future there will be collectors of the 'retro' format that we currently call DVD.
adam763

Postby kiz.bartlett » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:10 pm

i love the physical feel of a movie, i enjoy owning a real and physical copy and have reached a collection of about 300-400 dvds. its personal preference in the end i think.
kiz.bartlett

Postby puregreen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Some day DVDs will be more old hat than VHS so yeah, all collecting is worth it. I like the physical movie copies rather than digital ones.
puregreen

Postby Schlibbylibby » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Wow. Old topic, but in light of the lovefilm DVD rental service being announced as shutting down this week it's quite a relevant topic.

I don't see how DVD collecting can be a waste of money when the discs are usually cheaper than online (same as games), especially the 2nd hand market.

I think people who use nothing but the likes are Netflix may like films but aren't really film fans. I say this because Netflix has a very limited choice. Sure if I was bored I could stick on Netflix and find a film to watch. But a film fan is going to have specific films they want to watch and do it more as something they want to do than to fill time. The chance of finding these films on Netflix, amazon prime etc is very slim.

This was why the lovefilm disc service was so great. Sure they will be times I'm waiting for the postman to bring a disc, but I could watch almost anything, film or tv, with the service.
Schlibbylibby

Postby Durst.P.I. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Schlibbylibby wrote:Sure if I was bored I could stick on Netflix and find a film to watch.

You're a better man than I; it all looks like tripe to me.
Durst.P.I.

Postby Schlibbylibby » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Durst.P.I. wrote:
Schlibbylibby wrote:Sure if I was bored I could stick on Netflix and find a film to watch.

You're a better man than I; it all looks like tripe to me.

Ha. I was being generous :lol:
Schlibbylibby

Postby The Saint » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:47 am

If you are not going to upgrade to the current format then it's not a waste.

Trouble is that these days,there are very few films I want to have on DVD. I have a small but classic collection of films and I watch these a lot.

I tend to buy more TV box sets than anything else these days, mainly of shows that I have no other way of watching (not on any on demand service, shown on any Satellite channel).

If a film comes on TV that I want to watch then I'll do that but if it's available on demand then until that expires I won't buy the DVD and that's if I really will give it replay. Once isn't enough!

It's the same principle as going to the cinema now as the cost of this has gone up too. I really want to see the film, then I'll go. If it's a 'would like to see ' then it goes down to on demand/TV/dvd and after that it's just on demand or TV.

The one thing about going to places like CEX is the DVD library they hold, it's huge! However due to CEX paying nothing for DVDs, I'll always give mine to charity. At least they will make some money which goes to a good cause. Lots of DVDs you find in charity stores, you don't always find elsewhere.

I don't think I've spent full price on a dvd that wasn't a gift. Ever. I've been buying for about 13 years now.

Currently Playing (November 2018):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Tenchu Stealth Assassins

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
The Saint

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Postby Darkstalker90 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:59 pm

DVD's are so mass-produced that the only things worth "collecting" will be genuine limited edition boxsets of popular films or really obscure, limited release stuff (think 70's/80's horror movies etc.).

98% of DVD's will be landfill fodder just like VHS tapes are today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the physical product and have never downloaded films or watched them via streaming but a huge DVD collection will be utterly worthless and impossible to get rid of in the future. I try to only keep a "core" of my favourite films and then get rid of everything else and stop excess building up. One good thing about the abundance of stock is that it will always be possible to pick something up again for a few quid (if that) down the line.
Darkstalker90

Postby darknezz19 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:35 pm

This might have been said, but aren't there a lot of movies on DVD that never came out on blu ray. Again, same with VHS to DVD.
darknezz19

Postby Kayevel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 am

For the most part, like others said it's not really worth it outside of your favorite movies, tv shows, or some other specific reason.

However, there's definitely merit in owning something physically. For one, you can watch it any time, with no need for subscriptions or internet connection. All you need is a DVD player you can get for $5-10. Internet down? Pop in a DVD. Want to watch at a friend's house without hassle? Pop in a DVD. Can't afford cable or subscriptions? DVD.

As far as really collecting goes, I can definitely understand collecting for a certain genre, time period, or other narrower category. That way you have a much more selected collection of things you actually want to watch, and you're not necessarily just collecting trash to make your shelves look impressive. I for one am guilty of collecting anime DVDs. Maybe still a bit broad, but my general approach to anime is "if it wasn't boring, it was worth watching", so when I pick up a random DVD from the second-hand box where everything is at a set price, it's hard to go wrong. Most of the time I end up liking it and would watch it again. Sure it's incredibly easy to watch most series online, but that's part of the reason I like getting something physical. If I actually own it, and spent money on it, I feel obligated to watch it.

If for no other reason- it's comfy. Pulling a favorite show off the shelf, putting it in, snuggling up in the warm blankets, drinking hot chocolate...
Kayevel

Postby Shinobi_X » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Yes I binned/gave away sold all my Dvds. Only dvds I kept was Lady Terminator as I like it, and Blood sucking freaks as I’m to embrassed to admit owning this. And my Ulysses 31 and Mask box sets..
he Retro Gaming IRC channel. For people who like Retro and love Gaming. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net
Shinobi_X

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion