Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Arcade game report around the UK

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Arcade game report around the UK

Postby Ted » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:08 am

Hi all. I'm currently in the process of trying to document what games are left in the arcades of the UK- finding anything with a joystick will be a challenge nowadays but who knows.

I currently live in Ilkeston, and my nearest arcades are either bowling alleys with them in or The National Videogame Arcade- besides that I do go on holiday numerous times every year, and I do try to check out every arcade that is there or nearby.

Also I will provide the overall condition of the machine- that matters as well for people that would want to play them. If I've left it blank it obviously means there's no faults.

Some may say this search is pointless, but I'm going to continue on with this search for cabs as long as I can.

Also when it comes to events and places like the PLAY Expo's and Arcade Club was lots of games, I'll only feature the highlights for me or the most significant games down, not all of them.

I do have a number of arcades documented already, they are below:

MFA Bowling Alley, Ilkeston:
OutRun 2
After Burner Climax
Time Crisis 4
F&F Super Bikes

Derwent Amusements, Matlock:
Super Bikes 2
Transformers Human Alliance (coin slot taped over)
Pac Man Battle Royale (very nice condition)
House Of The Dead 2 Deluxe (projection screen almost dead, guns barely work)

Drayton Manor Arcade:
Ghost Squad (coin slot taped over)
House Of The Dead 4
Deadstorm Pirates
NASCAR Arcade
F&F Super Bikes

Pleasureland Amusements, Whitby:
Walking Dead Arcade
MotoGP
Daytona USA 3 (very first, and one of only currently 3 in UK!)

Funland, Whitby:
Super Alpine Racer (2 player link up)
Sega Rally 1 (some small screen burn, jammed seat adjuster)
Sega Rally 2 (same as above)
Sega Manx TT
Time Crisis 2 Deluxe
After Burner Climax
Jurassic Park Arcade
Walking Dead Arcade

Kingpin, Cleethorpes:
GRID Deluxe
Star Wars Battle Pod

The Mint, Cleethorpes:
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Jurassic Park Arcade

Taylor Made Fun/Fantasy World, Cleethorpes:
F&F Super Bikes 1&2 (massive 4 player setups, shame about the game I think it isn't that good :( )
OutRun 2 SP Deluxe
Ms Pac Man/Galaga multi game cab
Let's Go Island
Silent Hill Arcade
Fast & Furious
NASCAR Arcade
Cool Riders (little known Sega racer, think OutRun with motorbikes and motion capture, I think it's from 1995?)

Finally, if anyone can recommend any arcades to have a look at, that would be great. Aside from seaside towns and the odd place like Arcade Club I don't know where to go for some games.
Last edited by Ted on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ted

Re: Arcade game report around the UK

Postby cusser » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:38 pm

I went down to Hayling island (near pompey) last summer. They still have a working "Atari star wars sit down cab". My absolute favourite machine. Was in good condition. 30p a credit. Bliss!
cusser

Postby KThxsBy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks for posting will defo checkout Daytona USA 3 at whitby 8-)

I was at Hollywood Bowl teesside park couple of weeks ago they had quite a few arcade machines there, mostly new Namco cabs.

may do a little tour of Redcar and Saltburn :? see if they got anything left.
KThxsBy

Postby Doompanda » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:16 pm

There's The Heart of Gaming, now in Croydon. No idea what they've got though.
Doompanda

Postby Ted » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 pm

So I went to The National Videogame Arcade today in Nottingham. It's more of a museum, but there are these cabs there:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
2x Space Invaders (one a **** repro, the other an original!)
Donkey Kong (repro, would've been fine but it's got a 8 way joystick very hard to play :( )
Phoenix
Sunset Riders
Tetris
Neo Geo MVS (Puzzle Bobble+Metal Slug, unfortunately it's got a LCD screen fitted)
Marvel Super Heroes
Joe And Mac Caveman Ninja
Ms Pac Man (sadly not working)
Time Crisis
Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Deluxe
Sonic And Sega Allstars Racing Arcade
OutRun 2 SP (standup version)
And the highlight for me: After Burner (standup version)

Overall the NVA has come a long way since it opened. The only arcade games they had at the start were a rubbish Track and Field conversion, Space Invaders and Donkey Kong Repro's, and the Neo Geo cab. Everything else back then were bizarre Mario Kart setups with pedals, PC's setup with indie games, a weird bucking bronco ride (now a HTC Vive setup) and consoles. More improvements could be made, but ever since it was saved from closing last year it's just got better and better.
Doompanda wrote:There's The Heart of Gaming, now in Croydon. No idea what they've got though.

Ah yes heard about them. They saved the Versus City cabs from the Trocadero, along with some standup and deluxe Naomi's, a few of which they eventually converted into Street Fighter 5 cabs. They've recently got a Daytona USA, House Of The Dead 1 & 2, Gunblade N.Y, Crisis Zone, and Time Crisis II, plus a SegaSonic The Hedgehog Arcade! Definitely will take a look if I'm in London soon.

Other places on the list to have a look at:
Norfolk (heard there's lots of good arcades and a number of 'sheds' at the back of pubs with games in)
Blackpool (many have said that it's really not good for games anymore but I've heard there's some great cabs in Pleasure Beach)
Southend On Sea (heard there is a number of arcades which have preserved the classic cabs like the Happidrome, also Astro City which has lots of sit down electrocoin cabs)
Last edited by Ted on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ted

Postby Bosshogg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 pm

At the NVA, I recall there was a tabletop Space Invaders (back in 2015)? Or maybe they've swapped it out for something else.
Bosshogg

Postby theconsolecollector » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi Ted, nice to hear from another gamer in Ilkeston! I had no idea the bowling alley had those arcade machines, think I'll pop in at the weekend! :)
theconsolecollector

Postby Ted » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 pm

theconsolecollector wrote:Hi Ted, nice to hear from another gamer in Ilkeston! I had no idea the bowling alley had those arcade machines, think I'll pop in at the weekend! :)

Really? The OutRun 2 has been there for years now. I think After Burner Climax is a newer addition, last time I remember being in there (2015ish) there was one of those naff hurricane simulators in it's place. I don't think the Time Crisis 4 has been there too long as well, I seem to remember there being a Sega Rambo there before.
Ted

Postby theconsolecollector » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Ted wrote:
theconsolecollector wrote:Hi Ted, nice to hear from another gamer in Ilkeston! I had no idea the bowling alley had those arcade machines, think I'll pop in at the weekend! :)

Really? The OutRun 2 has been there for years now. I think After Burner Climax is a newer addition, last time I remember being in there (2015ish) there was one of those naff hurricane simulators in it's place. I don't think the Time Crisis 4 has been there too long as well, I seem to remember there being a Sega Rambo there before.

I can't remember the last time I went in there, normally just walk past it! Will pop in and have a look, do enjoy a bit of Outrun :)
theconsolecollector

Postby retrogoodies » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:09 pm

cusser wrote:I went down to Hayling island (near pompey) last summer. They still have a working "Atari star wars sit down cab". My absolute favourite machine. Was in good condition. 30p a credit. Bliss!

i have to check that out as a few arcade places down the coast still , in selsey there a holiday park that got loads of arcade units
no1stuntmaster on twitter
retrogoodies

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... s-2135.htm
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... -2135.html

Postby Ted » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. It would be great if you all could check out some of the arcades around your area for me- I can't get around the entire UK, I do have limits!

Not sure when I'll be in an arcade next- if I visit them again, I might get some pictures of both the NVA and the bowling alley in Ilkeston. If I have time I might take a quick look at what the new Hollywood Bowling in Intu Derby has- although I have heard that most of them in the UK exclusively have Namco games. Not that I have anything against them, but I feel their newer games aren't quite as good as the older ones. The same could be said for Sega but they pretty much are one of my favorite games companies so I atleast try their newer stuff.

I will, however, be in the Skegness area for a week this summer- lots of arcades there across surrounding towns like Mablethorpe, Chapel St Leonards, and Ingoldmells. Naturally, I will pop in them all- I may need a notepad or something though, there's so many. I don't think there's that many in south Wales though, which is also where I will be this summer for a little while. I may even have a look around Cleethorpes if I have the chance again, I missed one arcade which wasn't on the front last time so will try to get down there.
Ted

Postby Ted » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:50 am

Had a quick pop into the new Hollywood Bowl in intu Derby centre- only Namco/Raw Thrills
games.

Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Cruisin' Blast
Walking Dead Arcade
Jurassic Park Arcade (this one had hydraulic seats? I swear I never knew there were versions of this with that)
Moto GP

I was hoping I could get a play on one of them as I had a spare pound but they use that dreaded card system where you have to top it up :(
Ted

Postby Doompanda » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:42 am

And I got a random follow off this lot on twitter, which I assume you already know about?
Doompanda

Postby Ted » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi all. Was in Weston Supermare recently. Arcades along the seafront aren't very good, but the pier has stacks and stacks of modern vids. There was:

House Of The Dead 1, 2, & 3 (all deluxe versions)
Manx TT (4x)
Sega Touring Car
Final Furlong
Space Invaders (quite a few of these dotted around the pier)
Ferrari F355 Challenge (deluxe 3 screen)
Time Crisis 4
Transformers Human Alliance
Tank Tank Tank (4x)
Fast And Furious (drift something?)
H20verdrive
Speed Rider (4x)
Alpine Racer 2 (2x)
Air Trix
Rambo
OutRun 2
18 Wheeler (deluxe)
Primeval Hunt
Aqua Jet
Pac Man Battle Royale
Mario Kart Arcade GP
Aliens Extermination
Club Kart (in hydraulic Cycraft)
Virtua Striker

Adn I'm sure there was more, the place is massive. It has a surprising amount of older games considering it only opened back in 2010 after the old one burnt down.

There was also a nice surprise upstairs in a CEX. There is a rather good coffee shop integrated into the shop's DVD section with some console setups and even a few arcade games. Nothing too special, but still quite good.
Ferrari F355 Challenge (twin)
Ghost Squad (Noami cab version not deluxe)
Donkey Kong cab with mame installed
Ted

Postby Ted » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Just got back from a holiday in Skegness. I also visited some surrounding towns with arcades too. This isn't every arcade there, I only went in a few but from what I've heard I didn't miss out on much.

Skegness:

Lucky Strike (all of these were in pretty bad condition, very disappointing):
OutRun 2 SP DX
Harley Davidson King Of The Road
Time Crisis 5
Operation Ghost
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Sega Rally 3 DX

Skegness Pier:
Time Crisis 3
Time Crisis 4
Dream Raiders
Deadstorm Pirates
Star Wars Battle Pod
Jurassic Park Arcade
MotoGP
Mario Kart Arcade GP
The Walking Dead Arcade
Batman
GRID
Sega Rally 3
House Of The Dead 4
Aliens Armegeddon
Terminator Salvation
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
Space Invaders Frenzy
Thrill Drive 2
500 Lap
King Of Route 66
House Of The Dead 3
Star Wars Arcade Trilogy
Aliens Exterminaton
Ghost Squad

Smith's:
Sega Rally
Ridge Racer 2
Ghost Squad
Time Crisis 2
Suzuka 8 Hours 2

Mablethorpe:

The Mirage:
OutRun 2 SP SDX
Daytona Championship USA
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Jurassic Park Arcade
The Walking Dead Arcade
Real Puncher 2
Rambo
Lost Land Adventure
Sega Touring Car Championship
Ferrari F355 Challenge DX
Battle Gear 4
Luigi's Mansion Arcade
World's Largest Pac Man/Galaga
Space Invaders Frenzy
Storm Rider

The other arcades in Mablethorpe had nothing...

Chapel St Leonards:

Miller's Leisure Centre:
Daytona USA 2
House Of The Dead 4
Razing Storm
NASCAR Arcade
Fast & Furious Super Bikes

Greens Amusments:
Sega Rally (one side had bad crt and rubber ripped off wheel)

Ingoldmells:

Fantasy Island:
Daytona USA Deluxe 4 player
Sega Rally 2
Sega Rally 3
Rambo
Razing Storm
Air Trix
Time Crisis 4
Super Bikes 2
GRID
Batman
H20verdrive
Twisted
Sonic And Sega Allstars Racing Arcade
Lets Go Jungle
Club Kart (running in a cycraft simulator)
Ted

Postby Sato » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Regency Leisure Arcade in Brighton has a few Daytona USA cabinets by the window, but I've never been inside to see if they have anything else. I think we have few H20verdrive cabinets scattered across other places in the city, but I forget where.

I'm honestly surprised Brighton doesn't have an arcade scene honestly. It's the perfect place for something niche like that to do well.
Sato

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... -1968.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1968.html

Postby daveyheats » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 am

Anyone know of any decent arcades in Bristol and / or Gloucester Cheltenham area?

I'm guessing Weston Pier is the nearest to Bristol, but curious to know if theres any other belters I'm not aware of. i used to go to Hollywood Bowl at Emersons Green, Bristol near daily when I was a student to play Initial D. Would love to track down a cab nowadays!
daveyheats

Postby Ted » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:33 am

daveyheats wrote:Anyone know of any decent arcades in Bristol and / or Gloucester Cheltenham area?

I'm guessing Weston Pier is the nearest to Bristol, but curious to know if theres any other belters I'm not aware of. i used to go to Hollywood Bowl at Emersons Green, Bristol near daily when I was a student to play Initial D. Would love to track down a cab nowadays!

Not many places in the UK you can play Inital D at now sadly. Only ones I can think of are Heart Of Gaming in Croydon, London, who just got in a Initial D 3, and Las Vegas, also London (Soho) has a Initial D 8. That's about it.

Again don't think there's anything of note near you, try local bowling alleys like Hollywood Bowl I guess.

Anyway, The National Videogame Arcade near me in Nottingham has had a bit of a change up. The generic JAMMA cab running Marvel Super Heroes now has Pocket Fighter in it, the cab running Caveman Ninja now has Moonwalker, they've managed to get Track And Field back up and running after months of it being out of action, and After Burner + Time Crisis are away for repairs at the moment.

They've also purchased a few more machines as well, as in a back corner I saw Point Blank, Virtua Tennis in a standard NAOMI cab, and a upright Special Crime Investigation (Chase H.Q sequel/spinoff). Its great that they're improving their lineup, when it first opened I don't think it deserved to have the title 'Arcade' as there was barely any actual arcade machines!

I also went to Cleethorpes and I was pleasantly surprised to find an arcade that I'd missed last time, Fairworld. This had:

Manx TT
Scud Race (hell yes)
Time Crisis II

I have a few videos now as well! Watch me play Cool Riders and Scud Race very badly! To be fair I was doing this one handed, Cool Riders has somewhat off steering, and I had only played Scud Race a few times before this. Excuses, excuses :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmvnR7-GjJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_9H_34XL4

I got as many plays as I could on that Cool Riders machine as I'm fairly certain its the only working one in the UK right now- very rare arcade game, wasn't released in Europe and had a limited release in the US and Japan.
Ted

Postby daveyheats » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 am

Love Cool Riders. 0 to a 300 km/h wheelie in about 6 seconds :lol:

Thanks for the update on Initial D cabs or lack thereof chap. Hoping to buy my own next year so sounds like a better idea than ever.
daveyheats

Postby ninjaalex » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Is The Mint in Cleethorpes the one on seafront near the hotdog stalls? Which ever Arcade that is there's also a Big Bucks Game Hunter in there. 50p a go.

Ted wrote:I also went to Cleethorpes and I was pleasantly surprised to find an arcade that I'd missed last time, Fairworld. This had:

Manx TT
Scud Race (hell yes)
Time Crisis II

I have a few videos now as well! Watch me play Cool Riders and Scud Race very badly! To be fair I was doing this one handed, Cool Riders has somewhat off steering, and I had only played Scud Race a few times before this. Excuses, excuses :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmvnR7-GjJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_9H_34XL4

I got as many plays as I could on that Cool Riders machine as I'm fairly certain its the only working one in the UK right now- very rare arcade game, wasn't released in Europe and had a limited release in the US and Japan.
[/quote]
I've played Cool Riders as well. There is a spiritual sequel called Wild Riders (2001?) on Naomi hardware with cel shaded graphics, I've never seen it in person. Scud Race was broken last time I was there last summer. I don't know if it was still there, but there was a Gunblade by the bowling alley by the steps, it was broken and turned off.
Last Game Completed: Vanquish (360) 8/10 - Polished and hugely entertaining
ninjaalex

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... -5475.html

Next

Return to Retro Gaming