Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Wii U gaming/collecting

Anything current-gen and last-gen belongs in here. Playstation 3/4, Xbox 360/One, Nintendo Wii/U/Switch, Nintendo DS/3DS and Sony PSP/Vita.

Re: Wii U gaming/collecting

Postby Inirius » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Congrats ! You have almost finished the pal Wii u list !!! Good luck for getting the last game you miss ! (And also getting then as cheap as the ones you've just shown us, 120£ for the black chest :D even if I found one for 300£ I'll go ! And the other two gold edition :roll: )

(I hope that this is understandable, despite my horrible English :lol: )
Inirius

Postby macarver » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 am

So there it is... Just Dance 2019 confirmed for the Wii U (and Wii again also). October 23rd 2018 is what I've seen for a release date. First physical PAL release since last year's version!

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/just-dance-2019/
macarver

Postby Schlibbylibby » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 am

macarver wrote:So there it is... Just Dance 2019 confirmed for the Wii U (and Wii again also). October 23rd 2018 is what I've seen for a release date. First physical PAL release since last year's version!

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/just-dance-2019/

The pain never ends!

Interesting to note it’s coming to the 360 too. But not listed for ps3 release
Schlibbylibby

Postby Deanos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:55 am

Have mercy with all these Just dance games. Any news from Axiom Verge ???
Deanos

Postby MichaelTTT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:36 am

Doompanda wrote:I finally got hold of a Wii U Black Chest, with the all important outer slip. I'd like to say my bank balance took a massive hit, but at £120, that's barely more than a special edition on the Switch. I also picked up a MH Premium Edition for £25 and a new and sealed MK Premium Edition for £65 a couple of days later. Just need to find a copy of that Spanish Barbie game and film double pack and I'll have a full PAL set.

Damn dude where do you find that Black Chest Edition? :o I'm searching that one for ages!
And do you got a picture from that Barbie double pack? Its the first time I hear about it.
MichaelTTT

Postby Anarki » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi all, long time lurker here, just wanted to say thank you for a great forum it's been really helpful for a collector like myself.

I'm currently trying to get all Wii U PAL games and am up to 105 games collected at the moment.

I wanted to post my findings on Cars 3 - it seems it didn't get a UK release at all. I've been all over England trying to find a copy to no avail and ended up getting a yellow triangle Scandinavian version. A good friend of mine (who collects games as well) is currently over in Ireland and has confirmed that GameStop in Ireland stock cars 3 for the Wii U but they stock the yellow triangle Scandinavian version even though Ireland is an English speaking country it still didn't get a green triangle UKV version.

For UK collectors I believe this to be the best option as the front and back covers are in full English whereas other European versions have their native language on the front and back.

Hope this helps someone out there.
Anarki

Postby RetroBob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Very helpful first post - welcome!
RetroBob

Postby Schlibbylibby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm

There’s a few games out there on Nintendo consoles that had a yellow triangle Scandinavian version for the UK. Presumably if a publisher wanted to release a version of a game for UK and Scandinavian then Nintendo assign them the yellow triangle.

I believe cars 3 was sold exclusively in Argos in the UK. I didn’t buy from them so maybe someone could confirm, but I’m guessing they sold the yellow triangle version.
Schlibbylibby

Postby Anarki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 am

You're probably right and luckily for me I'm not at all bothered by the colour of the triangle but I know it's important to some collectors.

WB games approach to their releases in the European market is confusing, take for example the batman games on the Wii U, Scandinavian version has full English front/rear English cover.

However their Lego games are released with an English/Danish rear cover for the Scandinavian version.

From my limited findings it seems that Ubisoft and Activision also go the full English covers route for their Scandinavian releases, which begs the question why have these games got a specific Scandinavian version as well as a UK pal release?

Mojang went for 4 languages on the back (one being English) for their Scandinavian releases.

I suppose it also depends on the style of the cover, if there isn't much room for text I guess they default to English?

All a bit strange to me.
Anarki

Postby -SV- » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 am

I was wondering... last year we heard that limited run games might do a wii u physical release but we've heard nothing more since then.
However, yestarday I saw this https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/sta ... 5595792384 in which a game was supposed to get a physical release from badland but because of delays it ended up getting a physical release from limited run games .About the Wii U version of Axiom Verge, we know that it will be published by someone ells and not from Badland as Thomas Happ said in a comment here http://www.axiomverge.com/blog/axiom-ve ... ail-launch. Could limited run games do the physical version of Axiom Verge for Wii U? And if so, what about the PAL version?
-SV-

Postby Zeldacollector » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am

im also trying to get full pal but some annoying ones still missing like zumba

so far around 100 games....all amiibo bundles and some other big box ones not in picture

https://i.imgur.com/X9kVYUG.jpg

Zeldacollector

Postby gunstarhero » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:12 pm

-SV- wrote:Could limited run games do the physical version of Axiom Verge for Wii U? And if so, what about the PAL version?

Limited Run are based in North America, so it wouldn't be a PAL region release (the age rating would be in line with North American rating system and not PEGI). As you may be aware, European based companies such as Strictly Limited Games and Super Rare Games are following the Limited Run model and releasing PS4, PS Vita and Switch titles here in Europe with PEGI ratings. Limited Run have said that they are going to be releasing PS3 games in due course (that were previously digital only releases) and given that Nintendo are agreeing to the production of what would otherwise be digital only Switch titles in limited numbers via Limited Run and Super Rare Games (North American and Europe respectively), I wouldn't be surprised now to see titles that were digital only on the WiiU getting similar treatment.

There have been a couple of PS4 games that did see a PAL region physical release but were digital only State-side until Limited Run made a small run of North American versions. Rabi-Ribi and Yesterday Origins were both already available at retail in Europe before Limited Run announced they were producing these in North America (the former has still yet to be released by them as I type this) and there are a few other examples whereby a Limited Run North American release is also available in either Europe or Asia published by someone else.

I guess we watch this space..........
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby Schlibbylibby » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Difference with Wii U though compared to all those others is it isn’t region free. So if Limited Run did decide to do some Wii U they may consider doing PAL releases as well.

I would be very surprised if they did any Wii U at this point though. I’m also surprised to hear Mr Gunstar mention them thinking of doing the PS3. Why would they not just release those games on the Switch/PS4?
Schlibbylibby

Postby gunstarhero » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 am

Schlibbylibby wrote:Difference with Wii U though compared to all those others is it isn’t region free. So if Limited Run did decide to do some Wii U they may consider doing PAL releases as well.

I would be very surprised if they did any Wii U at this point though. I’m also surprised to hear Mr Gunstar mention them thinking of doing the PS3. Why would they not just release those games on the Switch/PS4?

Good point on regional cross-compatibility. We can never say 100% never, but LR won't publish games for PAL regions from North America. Also, because Limited Run publish, they are not going to be amending code for releasing on systems the digital releases were not written to run on. The discussion on the whole concept of LR is to be observed within its own thread, but their vision has been to help preserve digital media and making physical copies of titles. I'm going off-piste by mentioning PS3 here again in a WiiU thread, but can you imagine physical copies of Elevator Action Deluxe; Gundemonium Collection; Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer; Tokyo Jungle or the Trine Trilogy? It would be great to see these wonderful digital only PS3 titles seeing some physical preservation. Remember that LR's discussions are with Sony (who print the PS4 LR discs), so any developments like this will be bonafide. Similarly, Nintendo are manufacturing the cards for Limited Run's Switch releases in Japan and shipping them to North America once printed, so anyone who wishes to argue that these titles are not official are on very weak ground trying to support that stance IMO.

Personally, I would love to see some of the Wii's digital only titles getting some sort of physical preservation, especially some of Konami's digital exclusives such as Contra Rebirth, Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth; Gradius Rebirth along with the likes of Star Soldier R; World of Goo; Rainbow Island: Towering Adventure; Mr. Driller W; David Braben's Lostwinds titles; Cave Story; Blaster Master Overdrive; Bubble Bobble Plus!; Adventure Island: The Beginning or Bomberman Blast. Again though region locked titles will likely mean this won't happen.
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby Rollerxcore » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:15 am

If LRG did get the rights to publish Wii U games (which i really think is doubtful, because, Nintendo) then surely they could ask for the region lock code to be removed from said games. A bit like the Xbox 360, that have a handful of region free games.

If LRG couldnt get that, then it would alienate the majority of LRGs user/fanbase. which for such a niche system i cant see it being viable for them.

If they could, then it would be great if they could put together a Konami rebirth collection, again, this is doubtfull as LRG only release 1 game per disk, no matter how small a file size it is. After all the games they have published, its a shame they are not now taking a more active role in coding the games, weather it be putting a front end of a compilation disk, or translating Japanese games. but, again i gues that would be for another LRG subject and not the Wii U thread.

@Gunstarhero Tokyo Jungle isnt digital only, it has the Japanese physical release, but also a USA and Brasil compilation, which is compatible on the PS3 fortunately.
Rollerxcore

Postby GLA1984 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

I don't think I could tolerate the anxiety of pre-ordering the standard and special editions.

However, in other jews, I managed to bag myself the infamous Assassin's Creed Black Flag Black Chest today on ebay France. My fingers are still shaking as I pressed the buttons as quickly as possible. Will post pics when it arrives. It may not be the UK version, but who the hell cares! I'm still buzzing. €119 so I'd say that's a really good price.
GLA1984

Postby Rollerxcore » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 pm

GLA1984 wrote:I don't think I could tolerate the anxiety of pre-ordering the standard and special editions.

However, in other jews, I managed to bag myself the infamous Assassin's Creed Black Flag Black Chest today on ebay France. My fingers are still shaking as I pressed the buttons as quickly as possible. Will post pics when it arrives. It may not be the UK version, but who the hell cares! I'm still buzzing. €119 so I'd say that's a really good price.

Great price, does it play english, thats all that really matters if your getting a deal?

Ive been ordering things from italy and france recently, and so far ive been very pleased with there service. so fingers crossed it goes as wellffor you too.
Rollerxcore

Postby GLA1984 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 am

Italy has thrown up some good bargains (I got a 2nd copy of Zumba that was in mint condition for £23 as my French one had a minor tear to the cello).

It will definitely play in English, but my guess is on the back it will have French writing. I was prepared to get a copy with the German rating synbol on it, so this is just a bonus to get it with the 18 on it. Australia have their print too. Guess I have no need for my PC version anymore.
GLA1984

Postby Inirius » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:37 am

GLA1984 wrote:I don't think I could tolerate the anxiety of pre-ordering the standard and special editions.

OMG ! I’ve been waiting for this item for years ! If you don’t like the french on it, I’ll be happy to buy it (because I’m French ;) ).
That’s really a great price, you must be delighted.

EDIT: Could you please tell me the region code behind the game ? I’m wondering wether it’s a european code (like EUR, EU8,…) or a french one (FRA, FAH). It will be great ;)
Last edited by Inirius on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inirius

Postby Atsumer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 am

Started up my Wii U for the first time in a long while and was surprised to see that there's still games being released in the e-shop. It's a slow release pace - but still.

Updated the spreadsheet while at it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-hpkxbPwFdJXaCWKb9ooyYybdO_uCoej4NTDRXDe3rw

Did another comparison between the list and what's available on the eshop and it appears that the following games have been delisted since last check (May 2017):

The Cave
Chasing Aurora
EARTHLOCK: Festival of Magic
Falling Skies: The Game
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
Little Inferno
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
Nano Assault Neo
Puddle
Trine 2: Director's Cut
Zen Pinball 2

Some big ones among those as well as many of the day one eshop releases