Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Wii U General Discussion

Anything current-gen and last-gen belongs in here. Playstation 3/4, Xbox 360/One, Nintendo Wii/U/Switch, Nintendo DS/3DS and Sony PSP/Vita.

Re: State of the Wii U?

Postby Ranho » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Well GameCube is cheap as peas because of the Wii ability to play the games. WiiU games will not play physical in the switch... It was just confirmed in Japan.

WiiU games are already expensive and I am not only talking about the usual suspects. Crappy games like funky barn or wtv are still around 6 pounds and higher and people are still buying them... I am guessing not to play them but already collecting the most they can before some games getting crazy prices.
Ranho

Postby Spasho » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Wii U games expensive? You might live in a different country than UK but in UK they are not expensive.
Spasho

Postby Ranho » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:54 pm

I live in the UK. 6-10 pounds for a crappy game, for a console that no one have and no one is buying? Well that is expensive. If it's such a failure, people would just give those games to charity shops. But I still see a lot of demand for those crappy games. My only guess is collectors trying to move fast now. There is no reason with such a small market that games like Tekken (that can be played in a lot of consoles), released in the first years of the console still goes for 20s£... it doesn't matter what you think is expensive, it's just a matter of comparing to other console prices.

Are the prices eventually going down? Yes, but everyone seems to be covering their asses to not to part with 100£ for a barbie game or similar.
Ranho

Postby KThxsBy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Ranho wrote:I live in the UK. 6-10 pounds for a crappy game, for a console that no one have and no one is buying? Well that is expensive. If it's such a failure, people would just give those games to charity shops. But I still see a lot of demand for those crappy games. My only guess is collectors trying to move fast now. There is no reason with such a small market that games like Tekken (that can be played in a lot of consoles), released in the first years of the console still goes for 20s£... it doesn't matter what you think is expensive, it's just a matter of comparing to other console prices.

Are the prices eventually going down? Yes, but everyone seems to be covering their asses to not to part with 100£ for a barbie game or similar.

fair point, but you must remember that any nintendo product holds a better secondhand price than any other maker on the video game market.

personally I think that a lot of the "investors" of the wiiu might be disappointed in 10-15 years time. as the wiiu imo was a poor video game console, compared to the likes of the gamecube in software and hardware side of things.

poor consoles and software don't hold their value compared to a good console. also you may find in 15 years time the screen on the gamepad may start to fail, and games will become unplayable which will decrease the prices even more.
KThxsBy

Postby Spasho » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:49 pm

Ranho wrote:I live in the UK. 6-10 pounds for a crappy game, for a console that no one have and no one is buying? Well that is expensive. If it's such a failure, people would just give those games to charity shops. But I still see a lot of demand for those crappy games. My only guess is collectors trying to move fast now. There is no reason with such a small market that games like Tekken (that can be played in a lot of consoles), released in the first years of the console still goes for 20s£... it doesn't matter what you think is expensive, it's just a matter of comparing to other console prices.

Hm, you consider that expensive? I suppose so, depending on X game. I'm fine paying £14.99+ if it's a game I really want even though it might not be very good, if at all.

HMV on Black Friday will probably have some awesome deals for Nintendo stuff and especially Wii U since it seems they're trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Haven't been to the one on Oxford St. because it's chaotic so maybe the one in Watford. Never mind the HMV in Romford as they don't carry Nintendo games, I've been there several times and all they ever had was PS/Xbox titles.
Spasho

Postby Ranho » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:25 am

KThxsBy wrote:

fair point, but you must remember that any nintendo product holds a better secondhand price than any other maker on the video game market.

personally I think that a lot of the "investors" of the wiiu might be disappointed in 10-15 years time. as the wiiu imo was a poor video game console, compared to the likes of the gamecube in software and hardware side of things.

poor consoles and software don't hold their value compared to a good console. also you may find in 15 years time the screen on the gamepad may start to fail, and games will become unplayable which will decrease the prices even more.

I don't see that as an investor thing because the era of the Panzer Dragoon Sagas and alikes is over. The internet has made information readily available and every single good game (and bad) will be covered with reviews and youtube videos. I don't think that is easy for a very good game to fall under the radar. So in terms of investing, nowadays very little is not foreseen and I hardly think 95% of the crappy games will be expensive at any time, but I think most people are not willing to give those 5% of rare crappy games the money they might be worth.

I see a lot of people talk about how bad games are for the wiiu, I still think that the percentage of good games is still higher than most consoles. Whenever I think about the short life of the original xbox and how it has 800 pal releases it is just baffling.

I do think systems will be hard to find and collectable, especially because of the gamepad. But for better or for worse, the gamepad adoption is quite limited and from the very best games only a couple rely solely on the gamepad.

I get the sense that what you are saying now about the Gamecube, was opposite when it was released and very similar to what we are saying about the WiiU. What we complained now, people were complaining about the Mario Sunshine not being Mario 64 II and that the console looked childish and so on. In the end of the day, the Gamecube exclusives were great and you couldn't play them anywhere. And the same can be said about the WiiU.

Do I think the WiiU was a success? No. In fact I normally restrain from collecting consoles from day one and wait for a substantial release of games, that way I can make a better judgment and buy cheaper games. For most part, the type of games appeal much more to me as a retrogamer than what xbox and playstation are putting out, for example I don't have the time or energy for online play, so I prefer much more a hard single player campaign like DKTF. My only issue, is that the time I've waited to buy the console and games meant little, the console still ended costing me 200£ (the Mario Maker) and for most, the good games still go for much more than I was hoping.

Do I think the WiiU is going to be regarded as the best console of this generation? Probably not, but the other 2 main consoles look like a bland experience to me with limited future prospect. What I do know, is that like Saturn, Dreamcast and at some extent Gamecube, the library hits a sweet spot of number of games and percentage of exclusive games to the system that collectors will find easier to justify going for a full set as soon as possible. Also, like those mentioned above, the wiiu from the forums I visit, has a strong fanbase, I think people just like the underdog and normally they aren't even the Nintendo fanboys. Hell, I am much more a Sega fan and I only have from Nintendo a GameCube with some exclusives (and the WiiU obviously) and still think the WiiU is a great experience.

I ended writing too much, sorry about my ramblings.
Ranho

Postby Spasho » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:52 am

Wii U games technically will always be playable via PC with the Cemu emulator but yeah, for the real authentic experience you need a working GamePad and there's been several people who already said theirs doesn't work properly anymore.

We'll see how it goes.
Spasho

Postby GLA1984 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:18 am

Pretty sure Nintendo will let you get gamepads repaired for some time. I've got myself a back-up Wii U anyway, but I've never heard of a gamepad malfunctioning out of the people I know and in the online Wii U space I keep tabs in (not including here, I'm a relative newcomer here). The PC emulator also has a long way to go, and there's a certain irony in its existence given Wii U's failure.
GLA1984

Postby jkft86 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Spasho wrote:Wii U games technically will always be playable via PC with the Cemu emulator but yeah, for the real authentic experience you need a working GamePad and there's been several people who already said theirs doesn't work properly anymore.

We'll see how it goes.

Most Games didn't really utilize the gamepad as an extra feature so it's not necessary to play games. I think that Wii U games might be backwards compatible via Virtual Console and if that's the case, the Switch should be able to function as a temporary gamepad for games that require it.
jkft86

Postby T Moleman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Spasho wrote:Wii U games technically will always be playable via PC with the Cemu emulator but yeah, for the real authentic experience you need a working GamePad and there's been several people who already said theirs doesn't work properly anymore.

We'll see how it goes.

My pad has an intermittent fps lag issue which makes off tv play near impossible, it happens quite often and after looking online it seems to be a major problem with the system as it ages.

It's out of warranty and I'm not keen on the probable £100 repair bill...
T Moleman

Postby Spasho » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:55 pm

Cash Gen/Converter tend to sell Wii Us complete with the GamePads for about £70. CeX charges that for a GamePad only.

If my darn WU GamePad ever becomes unusable then so do the games that require it I'd want to play on the console. Using Cemu on PC isn't really an option for me as I don't have a mid/high-end PC.
Spasho

Postby mchardmanuk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:53 pm

I'd quite like to see a nice price drop, want to pick one up purely to display and maybe buy some of the exclusive games/better ones. Is it possible to pick one up brand new without any pre-installed games.
mchardmanuk

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/m

Postby BuckoA51 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Cemu has some way to go before it's anywhere near a substitute for a real console.
Play your retro PC games on your new rig - http://www.play-old-pc-games.com
Videogames are beautiful, play them that way! - http://www.videogameperfection.com/

BuckoA51

The Wii U and Future Resale Value of It

Postby Spasho » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:18 am

I was thinking earlier today as how the Wii U could become a console in high demand and in complete condition, no, not because it sold just more than the Dreamcast did (long live the Dream!) but that the Wii U is hindered from working at its maximum without a GamePad. Wii U GamePads are fixable for a reasonable price as long as you know what you're doing but for those that don't want to get their hands on repairing it or just want a new GamePad then they'll be left without too many options.

Now, I won't dive myself into it but this could be a great investment for someone who has money to on a future resale item. The best Wii U bundles to go for would definitely be the The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U Premium Pack with the lovely Zeldafied GamePad.

Nintendo Store is generously enough knocking off £5 off ("BOO5") any item until Oct 30 (as long as it's not digital or a pre-order) so the Zelda bundle would become £244.99. I might ponder it because £244.99 isn't a bad price for a brand new collector's console.

Something worth considering if you're into this sort of thing.

Just checked on eBay and one of these were sold for £295 (new) even though that buyer could have gotten it cheaper directly through Nintendo Store.
Spasho

Re: The Wii U and Future Resale Value of It

Postby The Saint » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:15 am

I got my Super Mario Wii U for £140. I guess it was a bargain.

I think you are right that the collectors consoles pack ins will go for a lot. It's the way of things. Most of these variant releases always get pricey for previous console iterations so the Wii U won't be any different.

With its smallish library of games, it'll be collectible for that reason alone.

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
The Saint

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Postby Flozem » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:50 pm

I am not that interested in picking up a WiiU special edition. But I will be buying a backup console once sale kicks in early January. 8-)
Last edited by Flozem on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flozem

Collection Stats: www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/ ... ics/Flozem

Postby Fheonix » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:21 pm

I might get a Zelda one if I see it second hand... At the moment I've got a white one :lol:
Fheonix

Postby Spasho » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Flozem wrote:I am not that interested in picking up a WiiU spdcial edition. But I will be buying a backup console once sale kicks in early January. 8-)

Retailers will certainly be having a clear out of Wii U stuff in the upcoming months. Especially HMV.

It'll be tough to get to all of the good stuff before others.
Spasho

Postby jkft86 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Well looks like the Wii U won't live alongside the Switch, Nintendo just announced that they will end production this month. I am sure they will put a price cut because they probably just want to get rid of units so you should wait until this black friday to get one.
jkft86

Postby mchardmanuk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:44 am

I wonder if game prices will start to go up on the second hand market or even drop brand new.
mchardmanuk

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/m

PreviousNext

Return to Modern Gaming