Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

PSP Collectors Unite

Anything current-gen and last-gen belongs in here. Playstation 3/4, Xbox 360/One, Nintendo Wii/U/Switch, Nintendo DS/3DS and Sony PSP/Vita.

Re: PSP Collectors Unite

Postby KeatonCar89 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Hello everyone.

New member here, but been collecting for PSP for a few years. Mainly a UMD movie archivist collector but 121 games.
My 7yo son has grown-up playing my PSP and is pretty good with racing games on the system. Owned most systems over the years but PlayStation owner from Day 1 on PS1, 2, 3, 4, Xperia Play (UNDERRATED Retro game Device.) First PSP was Gran Turismo version.

Favorite games types are 80's-90's arcades... Outrun (owner of arcade mini cab) Sega AM2 games. Midway Mortal Kombat series. Capcom CPS2. Fighters, Racers. Pinball Tables (ST:TNG, Scared Stiff, T2, Twilight Zone, Arabian Nights.)

Game I just kinda have an affection for.... TROG! By Midway.

Favorite thing about collecting Retro Games.... Pay one time and everything is on the disc/cart.

Game I want a HD re-release of on PS4.... Mortal Kombat : Shaolin Monks.
KeatonCar89

Yellow Dot of Games

Postby mchardmanuk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:20 pm

Ok, so need a little help. I've bought a PSP game and it has a yellow dot on the cover, does anyone know what this means?
mchardmanuk

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/m

Postby unessential » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm

This is my first post for the PSP, I used to be found mostly in Sega threads so hello world of the PSP!

I'm looking for some help: my PSP 3000's battery has exploded and now I need a replacement. Can anybody recommend a good replacement battery in 2018? And a reliable outlet to buy it from? Past experience tells me most of the ones on Amazon and ebay will be short lived Chinese imports and have no verifiable capacity figures.

I'm based in the UK so ideally something here would be best but I also have family in the USA so it can wait till I'm next over there if that's the best option.

Thanks for any help :D
unessential

Postby bignfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

a new psp costs 20-30€ second hand (maybe with box and manual and some games if you have luck)

i would take that battery

i now have 10+ psps boxed - the expensivest one was the white psp go with 50€ - all boxed

i would do so ... with some games, a memory card (or 2 or 3..) ... 50€ .. and you got more parts to change if necessary
Greatings from vienna/austria :)
bignfan

Postby Lucif3rX166 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 pm

If you have an PSP from the starter edition and not that slim Vita thing some games I would suggest trying to get your hands on would be Untold Legends, NFLStreet2, Dark Stalkers: Chronicle the Chaos Tower, Metal Gear Acid, Lumines and Wipeout Pure.
Lucif3rX166

Postby StarlightLotice » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:23 pm

unessential wrote:This is my first post for the PSP, I used to be found mostly in Sega threads so hello world of the PSP!

I'm looking for some help: my PSP 3000's battery has exploded and now I need a replacement. Can anybody recommend a good replacement battery in 2018? And a reliable outlet to buy it from? Past experience tells me most of the ones on Amazon and ebay will be short lived Chinese imports and have no verifiable capacity figures.

I'm based in the UK so ideally something here would be best but I also have family in the USA so it can wait till I'm next over there if that's the best option.

Thanks for any help :D

Hello!

I bought one from Play Asia back in 2013 for £52 (official 2200MH one) but got snagged at customs and had to pay an additional £20!!!

I would recommend buying the official one but I understand if you are price sensitive (I did it to future proof my current PSP)

Hope it helps anyhow. :)

Oh and Play Asia still sell PSP games Brand New for around £20/25. I got Steamboat Chronicles for £19 when it goes for £40+ on eBay!!
StarlightLotice

Postby xXHotFuzzXx » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:40 am

Hi everyone, not posted for a while as I am not actively collecting for the psp anymore. Unfortunately I am selling off my collection, well most of it. Just keeping a few psp consoles and most of my umd movie collection. I realised a few weeks ago that psp batteries have a shelf life as they are lithium based. It's now very hard to find sony replacements and even these if they have been sat for a time will be no good. I found a nice chinese company that make excellent replacement batteries on a par with originals the company is Cameron Sino. They look just like the official sony batteries without the logo's. They have the same capacity unlike cheaper chinese batteries however they are a bit more expensive at around £12.
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/07/01/IMG_20180701_090119.jpg
xXHotFuzzXx

Postby okretrocollectormate » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:58 am

xXHotFuzzXx wrote:Hi everyone, not posted for a while as I am not actively collecting for the psp anymore. Unfortunately I am selling off my collection, well most of it. Just keeping a few psp consoles and most of my umd movie collection. I realised a few weeks ago that psp batteries have a shelf life as they are lithium based. It's now very hard to find sony replacements and even these if they have been sat for a time will be no good. I found a nice chinese company that make excellent replacement batteries on a par with originals the company is Cameron Sino. They look just like the official sony batteries without the logo's. They have the same capacity unlike cheaper chinese batteries however they are a bit more expensive at around £12.
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/07/01/IMG_20180701_090119.jpg

Bought one of these a couple days ago. I bought a 1200 version for my PSP 3000. This battery gave me around 4 hours of playing Persona 3 Portable which in my opinion is not bad at all. This game has a lot of 2D mucking around so it could be a little less for 3D intensive titles.
My fetishes:

1. Ninetndo 3DS
2. Sony PSP
3. Pre-1993 MS-DOS
okretrocollectormate

Postby xXHotFuzzXx » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:20 pm

You also would be best charging and discharging several times before battery gets to optimal level. I get aprox 5-6 hours on a single charge. Best to charge these batteries out of the packet for 3-4 hours for best result. I purchased 4 of these batteries and got a 10% discount.
xXHotFuzzXx

Postby okretrocollectormate » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:03 pm

xXHotFuzzXx wrote:You also would be best charging and discharging several times before battery gets to optimal level. I get aprox 5-6 hours on a single charge. Best to charge these batteries out of the packet for 3-4 hours for best result. I purchased 4 of these batteries and got a 10% discount.

Sounds reasonable and congrats with a good deal. I bought my Cameron Sino in the same flashy PET packaging as yours in this Australian store: https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/gbd-online for $17.99 AUD. They give 12 month warranty, but offer no bulk discounts.

Indeed the package says you need to run the battery through a couple cycles to achieve optimal capacity and I decided to nerd out and test if I get any playtime improvements after 6 full discharge/charge cycles.

I started to document my journey with this battery in a spreadsheet. Mine is a 1200mAh version for PSP 3000. I test by playing Persona 3 Portable from UMD.

In my previous posting I only approximately estimated my playtime on the first charge to be around 4 hours (full brightness, loud headphones). For my future tests I chose to go with smallest brightness and 4 level of sound on built-in speakers. My second charge playtime measurement is relatively precise. I measured approximately 4 hours 30 minutes until system shut off.

I had 2 sessions and I had a 3-day break between them. System battery information page reported 6% loss after 3 days in standby, but that is probably not very precise. I find PSP battery information page quite unreliable.

I put the system to charge for it's 3rd run and I'll see how the 3rd discharge goes when/if I have a chance.

Overall depending on how, what, and how often you play looks like 4-6 hours is indeed what you will get from a 1200mAh Cameron Sino. I hope my battery will stabilize and give me more playtime after 5-6 full cycles, but I'm pretty happy even with what I get now. Other Chinese brands I tried measure charge incorrectly. This leads to unexpected random shutoffs and you losing your playstate. Cameron Sino performs reliable in this regard so far.
My fetishes:

1. Ninetndo 3DS
2. Sony PSP
3. Pre-1993 MS-DOS
okretrocollectormate

Postby xXHotFuzzXx » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Forgot to mention I use headphones, setting 2 for brightness and sound just below half. There are variables as you said and if all depends how you use the battery. A standard sony battery for a psp 2000/3000 averages at 4-6 hours so I think they perform pretty much the same as an official battery. It appears these are going to be the only option for psp gamers in the near future.
xXHotFuzzXx

Postby xXHotFuzzXx » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 am

If anyone is interested I have 2 god of war psp's for sale in the forum ebay section. Please check it out. Also will be selling off my entire RPG collection and Limited Edition and special editions many of which are still sealed. If there is anthing anyone wants in particular, message me and we can chat. I will consider most sensible offers.If you are unsure what I have check some of the older posts.
xXHotFuzzXx

Postby theconsolecollector » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Been after this one for a long time, excellent condition from fellow RetroCollect member xXHotFuzzXx! :)

Just two more Indian PSP games to get now...
theconsolecollector

Postby Sturmwind » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm sure many of you would have already seen this, but, just in case............

Huge haul of Pre-Production PSP UMD emerge from the ether.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/reddit ... mes.56919/
Sturmwind

Postby okretrocollectormate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 am

A follow up with regards to my battery. It is now very much dead. I used it almost every day since my original posting. Yesterday psp shut off unexpectedly and now only works from external power and the battery is no longer detected. I asked for a replacement. Will see how it goes.
My fetishes:

1. Ninetndo 3DS
2. Sony PSP
3. Pre-1993 MS-DOS
okretrocollectormate

Postby toejam_earl » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Out of curiosity, I just picked up PSP Mega Minis volume 1 from a thrift shop. I tend to avoid re-releases, but it would appear as this is a unique series on the essentials label. Is this correct, and if so, are there any other PSP releases that are exclusive to a budget range?
toejam_earl

Postby Segaseb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:45 pm

It may be a long shot but worth a try but does anybody have a copy of indian exclusive battle royal for sale? Willing to pay well offcourse
Segaseb

Postby theconsolecollector » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Segaseb wrote:It may be a long shot but worth a try but does anybody have a copy of indian exclusive battle royal for sale? Willing to pay well offcourse

I've been after that for years too, just need Battle Royal and Chandragupta Warrior Prince...
theconsolecollector

Previous

Return to Modern Gaming