Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Anyone still game at the arcades?

Anything current-gen and last-gen belongs in here. Playstation 3/4, Xbox 360/One, Nintendo Wii/U/Switch, Nintendo DS/3DS and Sony PSP/Vita.

Anyone still game at the arcades?

Postby straydog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:54 am

Something I have been doing forever and still do today.

Started off from all the older titles like Galaga, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Raiden etc continuing on to Metal Slugs and Time Crisis and Tekken which I used to play competitively and now I play a lot of DDR/ITG, Pump It Up (good for fitness!) and stuff like Maximum Tune (side note music is done by Yuzo Koshiro who did the Streets of Rage soundtracks). Would have played 100s of different titles over my life.

Misses plays the 'dance' games as well for fitness and loves ticket and claw games.

Arcades were still fairly popular up to about 15 years ago and really died down with the majority closing down or local diaries not having a random cabinet but they are currently making a bit of a come back at least in the form of larger arcades.
straydog

Re: Anyone still game at the arcades?

Postby Spasho » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 am

I rarely see arcades anywhere these days and even when I do, I don't spend money on them as I'd rather just play at home with unlimited tries. I'm kind of a cheapskate that doesn't like throwing money away unless I get a good deal out of it. :P
Spasho

Postby Collz69 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 am

I don't often come across any arcades anymore the only machines I know of locally are at a local bowling alley and they tend to be mostly prize machines and grabbers.
Luckily I have Arcade club a short drive away http://www.arcadeclub.co.uk its £10 entry and all the machines are set to free play so its easy to get a cheap arcade fix.
8-)
Collz69

Postby RetroBob » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:56 pm

straydog wrote:Something I have been doing forever and still do today.

Started off from all the older titles like Galaga, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Raiden etc continuing on to Metal Slugs and Time Crisis and Tekken which I used to play competitively and now I play a lot of DDR/ITG, Pump It Up (good for fitness!) and stuff like Maximum Tune (side note music is done by Yuzo Koshiro who did the Streets of Rage soundtracks). Would have played 100s of different titles over my life.

Misses plays the 'dance' games as well for fitness and loves ticket and claw games.

Arcades were still fairly popular up to about 15 years ago and really died down with the majority closing down or local diaries not having a random cabinet but they are currently making a bit of a come back at least in the form of larger arcades.

Have you got somewhere local you go to?
RetroBob

Postby T Moleman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Whenever I'm in the Metrocentre I'll always call into the arcade they have there, it has a few decent machines but the real showpiece is the Star Wars Battle Pod. One of the best arcade machines I've ever played on, shame it's £4 a pop...

T Moleman

Postby Sturmwind » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:00 pm

T Moleman wrote:Whenever I'm in the Metrocentre I'll always call into the arcade they have there, it has a few decent machines but the real showpiece is the Star Wars Battle Pod. One of the best arcade machines I've ever played on, shame it's £4 a pop...

Blimey, you are lucky to have access to that thing!
Sturmwind

Postby straydog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 pm

It may sound goofy but most my friends and even my partner who I have been together with 10 years we met at the arcade. Although I do live in New Zealand and yeah most you guys are UK. Do have a friend currently working in London and there is an arcade a little bit from him he visits so keeps up.

If any of you guys like trance music Id recommend looking up the Maximum Tune soundtrack. Love Yuzo Koshiros music.

Spasho - Yeah I do understand your feeling but usually its game that dont have home releases yet or big dance cabinets and enjoy the social aspect of it.

Collz - Damn I would love it if we had something like that. We used to have a 2 hour free play thing but they stopped doing that long ago.

RetroBob - Yeah I we have multiple around Auckland, closest 5 minutes drive then another 15,20,30 mins drive etc.

TMoleman - We have one of those locally, actually not sure what it costs but will have a look next time.
straydog

Postby RetroBob » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 pm

That's cool man - lucky to have arcades still and nice memories that your friends met there.
RetroBob

Postby Spasho » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 pm

I acknowledge that it's illegal to download and play MAME roms but heck, if that's not how I'd be able then I'd never get a chance to play The Simpsons. Thankfully, that's an arcade game that received an official release on PS3/360 but it's digital-only, I even bought it but to actually be able to play the darn thing I need to be connected to have my console updated and all that.

Since 360 digital games can be transferred to HDDs and USBs, then to PCs I thought I'd just need a backup of the game and my account but nah, as if they'd make it that simple. I faced this issue sometime ago when I swapped my 360's HDDs and it didn't work, well, the games were recognized only as "demos" which was pretty disappointing. I paid for them and can't play 'em without being connected to the internet. :?

I bought Indie games on the 360 and those games only work when it's connected to Xbox LIVE.. unless I hacked my 360 but got no plans for that so it stays unplayable.

Ninja Baseball Bat Man is another nostalgic game and there are soooo many it could go on forever. MAME has quite the premium library of games. ^_^

Piracy is a necessary evil because sometimes there's content you can only get thanks to users who archived it otherwise it wouldn't be available anywhere.
Spasho

Postby Sturmwind » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:25 pm

But I think the main draw of the arcade was the sort of ever-changing visceral physicality of the units as well as the actual environment itself.

Especially if that was somehting that you grew up with. It would create such a buzz whenever a fancy new unit would turn up, every other month, from Japan.

Pre-internet, all we had were magazines and the arcades. And the arcades were constantly serving up something of a preview of an almost unobtainable far future in those days.

There is another interesting topic on the current state of the arcade in the Retro Gaming thread. Here, the guy is documenting what is left in the current landscape Arcade game report around the UK viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14000
Sturmwind

Postby Shinobi_X » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 am

The local bowling Alley by me has

Deadstorm Pirates
Sega Golden Gun
Time across 5 guns need calibrating
Initial D
Mario Kart
Some jungle game with big insects
Space Invade S was exemption machine

Mostly play Golden Gun and Deadstorm

The other bowling alley has
Terminator some crap no frills game
Daytonna
Ghost Squad
Some galaxian clone redemption game
Driving game that takes your photo
Spider-Man Pinball
Local UGC cinema has

Mario Kart
Fist of the North Star
Big Buck Hunter
Generic Racing game

Best place for me is Trago Mills

Out Run 1 sit down
Teenage mutant hero Turtles 4 player
Turtles Pinball
Hook Pinball
Star Wars Trilogy
Time Crisis
Confidential Mission
House of the Dead
Silent Scope
Double Dragon 3
Maniacal Bikers
Daytonna
Time Crisis 2
Tank game
he Retro Gaming IRC channel. For people who like Retro and love Gaming. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net
Shinobi_X

Postby Spasho » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Sturmwind wrote:But I think the main draw of the arcade was the sort of ever-changing visceral physicality of the units as well as the actual environment itself.

Especially if that was somehting that you grew up with. It would create such a buzz whenever a fancy new unit would turn up, every other month, from Japan.

Pre-internet, all we had were magazines and the arcades. And the arcades were constantly serving up something of a preview of an almost unobtainable far future in those days.

There is another interesting topic on the current state of the arcade in the Retro Gaming thread. Here, the guy is documenting what is left in the current landscape Arcade game report around the UK viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14000

Pre-internet days there were the bootleg cartridge consoles which still exist today but are just a thing of the past. I remember loving the heck out of Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden 2 NES pirated version but playing it now... it looks and sounds like garbage.

I do wish I'd still own the cartridge of this pirated game because it's so nostalgic.
Spasho

Postby RetroGirl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Not been in a proper arcade for ages...

The one I used to go in when I was young was well dodgy and people got mugged outside.

Kinda put me off somewhat but the games... they were great.
RetroGirl

Postby Filtertip » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:59 am

Shinobi_X wrote:Best place for me is Trago Mills

Which Trago?
Filtertip

Postby deathtrappicnic » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:44 am

I'm actually really lucky to be able to live about 20 minutes from a retro arcade. Of course, I collect video games so now I don't really visit that often but every now and then I stop in and have some drinks since they decided to also include a full bar lol. The place is really awesome full retro machines in a natural arcade layout inside and for when it's warm outside they actually have a patio where you can go outside and play in Mario Kart tournaments or whatever on big TV's and game consoles along the wall. It's a ton of fun especially when you're 3 or 4 margaritas deep. :lol:
deathtrappicnic

Postby cusser » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Not so many around nowadays. The coastal towns, nearest to me, used to have plenty but are mostly full of those awful "mobile phone on a big screen" games (temple run, angry sodding birds). That or broken shooting games, fruit machines galore.

Croydon has the "Heart of gaming". Its a big hall full of cabs, some rescued from the sadly closed Trocadero. Theres also console setups and big screen displays. You pay a tenner for a days worth of free play.
cusser

Postby fierybirdything » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Unfortunately, most of my arcade gaming nowadays comes from seaside town arcades rather than anything near me. Some of the cinemas in the area might have a cabinet or two, but nothing exciting. Recently, I've been enjoying some of the modern lightgun shooters like Deadstorm Pirates and Jurassic Park, as well as the odd racing game (mostly Mario Kart and Outrun 2 SP), but there isn't much choice from other genres.

I also tend to snap up whatever chance I get to play on pinball tables, since I don't find them very often. Unfortunately, retro arcade games are thin on the ground from my experience, although I recall one arcade that had a few (forget which town it was in, though).
fierybirdything

Postby deathtrappicnic » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:28 am

Speaking of this topic I can tell most users here are in the UK have you guys started seeing the arcade1up machines in Wal-Mart or whatever the big chain is over there? I really want to get the galaga machine but I feel like I could probably build a better cabinet for around 300 considering I'd run it with retropi and yada yada. Just wondering if anyone saw one or picked one up
deathtrappicnic

Return to Modern Gaming