Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

MUST PLAY MONDAY!!!!

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Re: MUST PLAY MONDAY!!!!

Postby Nintastic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 pm

A Million Kudos to me for being early ! Get in ! :D :lol:

Todays Nintastic Review I bring you the one and only,

Overview -

Released as a launch title on the Saturn, Daytona USA was a home port of Sega's popular 1993 arcade hit of the same name. The arcade-style racer includes three tracks of increasing difficulty, beginner, advanced and expert. The game can be played in original arcade mode, in which checkpoints must be reached before time runs out, (even more kudos to me ! :D ) or in "Saturn mode" which eliminates the time requirement to reach the checkpoints.

The bad -

The visuals are rubbish with visible pop-up on every turn and a 20fps frame rate.

The good -

It's Daaytooooooooooona!! Let's go away, handling is second to none , powersliding into the last corner of Sonic Mountain from 24th to 3rd is magical, only beaten by Sega Rally a couple of years later ;)

Easter eggs can be found all over the place in Daytona , race as a horse , here classic sega tunes when you input the correct three letters in the high score board,karaoke mode so you can sing along to Daaytoooooooona ! Make Jeffrey the statue dance ! The Playstation may have had Ridge Racer but Daytona was always the one for me.

8 tyres of of 10 from me
Nintastic

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... ts-95.html

Postby Atsumer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:17 am

Ghost Squad (Wii)
PAL Release: 2008-01-18 Developer: AM2 (ported to Wii by Polygon Magic), Publisher: SEGA

This week I've continued playing Spectrobes: Origins - a game that grows on me by the hour (see my review in last weeks MPM). To honor this weeks criterias I have also played a SEGA game - namely Ghost Squad. I've seen YouTube videos where this has been regarded as a hidden gem. Let's find out.

The game is a simple but fun rail shooter. All you need to do is aim the reticule, fire and reload. Occasionally the shooting action will switch to quick time events where you need to parry blows, disarm bombs, free hostages or attempt a one bullet head shot. These gameplay changes are short and adds a different kind of action to the game... unfortunately they are always preceded by popup dialogues where the controls are explained. You can't abort these instructions and they come every time! Those dialogues are frustrating as they totally ruin the pace of the game. Apart from those interruptions the gameplay is fluid with enemies popping up everywhere just like in old Operation Wolf or Cabal games - the feel is the same but now you're moving in a 3D world shooting them all around you.

What about the story? There's not much of a story really. It's an arcade game in heart and soul so who cares about stories when you want some intense action? Anyway: You're part of a special ops team called "Ghost Squad" which have received it's name and reputation because they never leave a trace after their missions ... yeah right - once I joined the traces are everywhere. Broken windows, demolished interior and dozens upon dozens of corpses... no way... they vanish.

The game is extremely short. There are only three mission: A villa/resort where terrorists have taken hostages. On Air Force One - where terrorists have taken the president hostage (how did that happen? on Air Force One?) The third stage is a jungle where you have to rescue a P.O.W. and help him escape. All levels presents choices so you have multiple routes to the boss. Every point you earn is transformed into experience points which will level up your character (granting new weapons and outfits). The levels themselves also level up the more you play them. They become harder and new choices are introduced. Although you can play through all three levels in 30 minutes this gives the game a high replay value - and just because the levels are so short and intensive you never get bored (except during the instruction dialogues) and you can often squeeze in a level here and there as they only take about 10 minutes to complete. There are also a party mode for up to four players and a training mode. I haven't tried those.

The verdict: This is very fun in small doses. The graphics are ok. I never reacted to the game being ugly at any point. The sound is generic and the voice acting varies from bad to ok. This whole feel of the game is cheap so having a few voice actors that are worse then the average just adds to this feeling - and to me that's not a bad thing in this case. Perfect voice acting would have been strange in a game that doesn't ooze high budget. The controls are superb. You aim with the wiimote and fire with the B-button. The A-button is used to make choices. The game also support the Wii Zapper - but I didn't try test that.

After the first playthrough I would've given this game a 8/10, but the short game and the repetitive game play reduces the score to 7/10

Here's a playthrough video of the first mission:
Atsumer

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/collectionstats.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/A ... eCube.html

Postby ewjim » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:50 am

So I re-started playing Mirrors Edge after 5 years and I was going to review that as its AWESOME... But Atsumer pooed on my chips and said he wanted Sega published games. Fair enough. Coming out in 2006 on the PS2 and also the 360 I give you:

I only managed about an hour of Phantasy Star Universe before getting so bored I had to turn it off and play anything else. Now dear reader - I know that I haven't done it justice as an hour into a JRPG barely gets you past picking a hair style and singing some **** kareoke song... but I just couldn't do it. Please also note I am not judging this by its name or previous pedigree, for all I care it could be called 'Super Japanese Neon Nonsense Redux' and blinkered fan boys and gals will still buy it.

You are a 'radical' angst ridden teen (-1) who hates the authority for no reason I could gather (-1), his Dad was probably killed in a way that blamed them or something, who cares? You run around a very empty (considering its size) terminal / junction / station (-1). All the exits are blocked off by guards and this is where an alien attack happens. The whole place is wrecked (so whats the point in having all these blocked off pathways if they are irrelevent? (-1) So anyway you lose your sister in the commotion and you run around trying to find her whilst getting in scrapes with the aliens. The fights are in real time (+1) which I like in RPGs. You have a certain amount of attack points that refill over time so you have to be more strategic with attacking rather than just spamming the buttons. But the controls feel a bit spongy at times and the camera is generally a big load of arse (-1).

"Were boring, complainy, so cool we think were zany................." YAWN.

Graphically the game is exactly what you would expect from an early HD game. They are nice but quite sparse in places. It is the sound for me where this game balls up its fists and hits itself in the face whilst shouting "why are you hitting yourself?!" Main character Ethan Waber (-1 for a STUPID STUPID name) is the most annoying character since time began. If Tidus ala FFX irked you, Ethan is the perfect reference on how NOT to voice a character. I did not check however if you could change the voice to JAP - I am hoping so as this was also part the reason I turned the game off - my ears began to bleed (-1).

The really irritating thing about PSU is the online aspect. Sega charged for its online use - you would have got a point for having an online multiplayer but you charged for it - but have since abandoned the service (-1). So if you actually played this and they switched it off you would be so annoyed! Even that one on the Dreamcast can still be accessed with the correct know how so there is no excuse Sega! They could have just made it free to use after XXX years and as an apology to anyone left still actually playing for it who had paid - give them some cool DLC as a way of appeasing these people who PAID YOU GOOD MONEY!! (-1)

Youtube video of the game that I can't even be bothered checking:

Right i'm bored.
Graphics - 7 - good for the time
Sound - 3 - nice music score, maddening character voices that are awfully acted.
Playability - 6 - its a JRPG - if you are into that sort of thing, with time im sure you will enjoy.

Overall (and from counting all my +/- 1 scores and completely ignoring the scores above) this bag of mung sees only 2 Sega employees out of 10 escape their alleyway binbag prisons to perhaps balls up another Sonic game.

If you were to play a better JRPG of the same time (9 months ish anyway) Blue Dragon blows this away completely. Go play that. Its fun!
ewjim

Postby Pondis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:22 am

Today for my MPM im going to visit a game I played a while ago for the first time.

Armourines on the N64

It was a game I watched avidly when the N64 was the thing to own and longed to play it, but could never afford the thing.

A few years later I grabbed it in a bundle and it didnt disappoint! Sort of...

The first level was super foggy. You could argue that it was snowy and fog would probably be around, but lets face it, the N64 couldnt handle it.

Controls were a nightmare now that I am used to dual analog, but still playable with some practice.

It felt a little like a good Starship Troopers game.

Overall a highly playable game I would recommend to any N64 owner.
Pondis

Postby EvilTheHuman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:51 pm

My first MPM for a while is Toki: Going Ape Spit on the Megadrive. I'd never played this version until friday, but I used to really like the arcade version back in the very early nineties. I have a vague recollection of playing maybe the Amiga port, too (I can definitely remember it was on a one button joystick), but that was a bit rubbish. The Megadrive version was released in 1991 and at the time for me,  just got lost in a sea of much better reviewed games for my very limited budget. Two decades later, I finally get to check it out.
After inserting the game cartridge securely into the cartridge slot, you should switch the consoles on/off switch to the on position (this is a handy tip worth remembering for all your cartridge based console shenanigans).
As the intro cutscene shows, Toki was a strapping young Tarzan type, just taking it easy with his hot lady friend, until some evil chappy steals her away and turns our hero into a fireball spitting monkey.
He's going to need to battle his way through various levels of platforming, side scrolling swimming and jungle inspired end of level bosses,  before he's going to get the chance to defeat Dr. Stark and rescue Wanda from his evil clutches. And this is an arcade conversion so we're talking one hit kills, time limits (although these are quite forgiving in all but the hardest difficulty settings) and lots of enemies to make completing this task even more problematic.
Toki is way more shooty then I remember. That's not a bad thing. The platform/shooter balance is pretty good and it gives it quite a unique feel. Throw some power ups into the mix, like the standard but almost always amazing flamer or the quite interesting bouncing bombs, and I think there's enough to set it a little bit apart from the glut of standardised 16 bit platformers.
It's not the prettiest game ever but it's not at all bad for a release quite early in the Megadrive life cycle and a big headed main character certainly helps add some personality. He handles ok, too. Although he does have the same size jump no matter how long you press the button, so that is something to get used to.

Toki: Going Ape Spit is alot better than much of the platforming chaff that was commonplace at the time. There's just quite a few games doing similar things, but better, on this and other platforms. I still think this is worth checking out though, for all 2D platforming aficionados and fans of monkeys.
One thing though, where the #@*₩ are the american football helmets? Crazy decision.

6 and a half chilled monkey brains for dessert out of 10.

EvilTheHuman

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... -1523.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1523.html

Postby Speedy Badger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:55 pm

@Pondis.

Seeing that you like Armourines.

If you've got a 360 or PS3 , then I’d recommend that you seek out this game..
Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon.

Speedy Badger

Postby jamalais » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:26 pm

A 'Must Play Monday' production

Review: Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles

Written by 'jamalais'

I'm a big fan of the older entries in the Resident Evil series so this week I thought I would try the 2007 release Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii.

Umbrella Chronicles is a rail shooter based around the story arcs of Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. The game on a first impression comes across as a bit of a cash cow as the story of Resident Evil is not it's strongest is hardly it's biggest strength. Basically there's a pharmaceutical company called Umbrella and their message is unity and health, but actually they just want to make biological weapons and make lots of money (you know the American dream). The story is cheesy and brilliant complete with terrible voice acting which if nothing else will make you laugh a lot especially the creepy monologue from good ol Albert Wesker .

If your familiar with the three games featured in the game you may get a kick out of the familiar settings and characters visited from each game like the train setting in Resident Evil zero, the Spencer mansion in Resident Evil and the police station from Resident evil 2 and 3. The game also features a lot of familiar enemies throughout the games from the Zombies, the crimson heads, the hunters and even the tyrants.

Gameplay is pretty easy, point your wii remote at the thing you want dead and pull the trigger. It's a rail shooter not a in depth RPG though I guess like a lot of the motion control games released during this period the developers try to put a different spin on the game rather than making it more arcade feeling. Various weapons can be collected and upgraded to take on the undead though ammo is limited. Good news is your trusty pistol has unlimited ammo though does bugger all damage. As well as shooting anything and everything, you have a handy knife attack mad possible with good old fashioned waggle motion on the wii remote and grenades when you need blow the entire room.
Music has some remixes from the previous games in the series which is a nice touch but only if your a fan of the series otherwise its hardly memorable.

The nine core levels of the game can be played co op with a buddy or loved one which is the better way to play the game, however, the game does also feature compulsory single player missions which seems rather bizarre they would not make co op as well. The challenge comes across as pretty cheap and unfair at times, it feels near impossible to get through certain sections of the game without getting a couple of cheap hits from Zombies and monsters. This would not be so bad if you could continue after death (like the arcade) however, if you do die you have to start right at the beginning of the level or at one of the very few check points in the game making it rather frustrating at times.
My biggest issue with the game is the dreaded quick time events, I know it was popular in games at the time but this game has some real crazy moments requiring what feels like a split second to react on the wii mote. Failing means instant death in some cases and starting back at the checkpoint which could be far back leading to much rage quitting.
Graphics for the Wii are pretty good each level is rendered in 3D unlike previous games with pre rendered back grounds. Levels are dark and monsters are surprisingly detailed. The main criticism is it is a bit too grey, come on guys add some colour.

Umbrella Chronicles is not very long which is great for the the gamer who doesn't have a lot of time on their hands. In fact you can probably finish the main levels in a night. However, unlocking all the upgrades and finding all the secrets may take you a little longer.
Overall, Umbrella Chronicles is a solid rail shooter and great for the Resident Evil fanboy but won't win over any new fans to the genre. However, if you want a quick game with co op you can't go wrong with this game perfect for the busy gamer

5 viruses out of 10

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is available for Wii and on PSN in a HD version. The Wii version is about £5 maybe less if you find a good deal.
jamalais

Postby Atsumer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Feedback of the week

@Nintastic: Never in my two weeks running this show have I seen someone so eager to participate in this little reviewing event... or maybe we're looking at a case of I-Have-No-Clue-To-What-Day-It-Is-Today-But-I-Guess-It's-Monday syndrome. That's a good thing! I wish everyone had that diagnose ;)

Aaah, Daytona USA... The myth, the legend. Always there in the texts speaking about Segas glorious past. Always there as a shameful reminder of how little Sega games I've played through the years. Segas arcade ports are almost always fun in that they grab hold of you immediately and spike the fun-to-play-ometer. Unfortunately the games are always short and they live on the brief adrenaline rushes they produce. Good one mate! Let's give you some kudos:

You nail all general challenges = 50. You also earn the SEGA, TIME, SAME and although I'm not sure about the new versions released on XBLA and PSN I will grant you the MULTI. That's 1000090 Kudos! As a punishment for mis-spelling "hear" I will - however - deduct 1000000 kudos. That gives you 90 kudos! I bow to your great performance!

------------------------------

@Atsumer: I grant myself the following kudos: All general challenges = 50. On top of that I claim SEGA, COOP, TIME. That's 80 kudos for me.

@ewjim: Muahhahaha. I ruined your week! ... I mean... I'm terribly sorry 'bout that. I'll make it up to you next week.

I actually own this game. It have been sitting - unplayed - on my shelf for a couple of years now. Never got around to play it and after reading your praise I must certainly won't... or maybe I will - if I get a stroke and loose all my short term memory. I really enjoyed playing Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II back on the GameCube (that why I bought this game in the first place) . And I totally agree with you: What where they thinking having a separate fee for playing this game online. That's such a turn off. Inevitably all games with an online component will become useless in the future so good luck 360 and PS3 for future retro collector's - not to mention next gen. Back to PSU. I'm remembering this game getting some poor reviews when it was first released on PS2. I wonder: Is the 360 version a dump of that game or did they improve it? Regardless: Nice review. I've always enjoyed reading your stuff as you have a way with the English language that I could never emulate.

Kudos. I bet you want some. 50 for all general challenges met. I will also grant you SEGA, COOP, MULTI and SAME because the release of Phantasy Star II on XBLA. That's a whopping 90 kudos. Again I bow (this is turning into a workout)

@Pondis: I used to own Armorines... maybe I still do, I think I do. I enjoyed that game very much but unfortunately I never finished it because of some oyther game. Your description of it being like a Starship Troopers game is spot on - I remember thinking the same. I don't recall the look of the enemies - but I do recall that heavy fog at the first level. You could scarcely see the muzzle of your weapon :) If my nostalgic feelings for this game tells the truth (they probably don't) I think this is a decent game I too recommend N64 players to pick up.

You didn't bother about the kudos but I will grant you a few anyway. You're not getting away that easy! I grant you JOIN, MULTI and COOP. That's 40 kudos for you sir!

@EvilTheHuman: Although I new about Toki as a franchise I was completely unaware of the game shoot'em up nature. That was a pleasant surprise I must say. Watching the video actually got me wanting to play that game. I bow to you for making that happen (getting exhausted here). The introduction made me wonder how many times we've seen a similar intro. A Guy and his Gal is having a nice cometogether and suddenly an evil something arrives and kidnaps the girl... There's a castle emerging in the background as well - at least that brings a tiny originality to it. When that evil sorcerer arived to transformed the guy I could almost here "Welcome to your doom" inside my head. Must've been that guys muscular body and pose. I wish for once that it was the guy that was kidnapped and the girl have to set out to save him. Nice review. I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap copy of this one. PS: I loved your instruction on how to get started :)

Some kudos headed your way mr! 50 for all general challenges and I also grant you SEGA, TIME and - what the heck - MULTI. That's 70 kudos for you.

@Jamalais: (sitting with my jaw dropped) ... it's ... it's a ... It's a ... It's a Wii game!!! You sir have a new member in your fan club :) This brings two wii rail shooters to the table this week. This was the first Wii rail shooter I played and I was a little meh about it at the time (bought this new when it first came out). Since then I've played a few more I have begun to like the genre. I should revisit this game and write a MPM of my own in the future. You sure got me thinking about playing it again! From what I remember I think you was a little cheap on the score but I respect your opinion (yeah, right - noone talks ill about wii! he he). A lot of pictures is always welcome.

Kudos? Off course you want kudos! You didn't provide a YouTube video which means I can only grant you 40 of the general challenges (sad face). On top of those I'll give you SEGA, SAME, COOP and MULTI = 40. That's 80 kudos total. (I don't recall there being a time limit in this game - please enlighten me and I'll adjust your score)
Atsumer

Postby Atsumer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:08 pm

MUST PLAY MONDAY
SEPTEMBER 30 2013

Get ready for the third week with me as the host. As usual you can easily earn 50 kudos by simple participating and announce it in the Community section as well as giving the game a score and post a YouTube video. If you aim for more kudos (100 is the theoretical maximum) there are some additional criterias you need to meet. See Game challenges below. As it is impossible for me to know every game by heart I appreciate if you mention briefly in your review what kudos you claim. Have fun playing and I'm looking forward to read YOUR review on Monday (or earlier if you got an itch) :)

General challenges: (50)
20 KUDOS: JOIN - Participating in the event by writing a review and posting it on this thread.
10 KUDOS: COMM - Announcing your participation in the Community.
10 KUDOS: TUBE - Embedding a YouTube gameplay video (or a trailer) of your game in your review.
10 KUDOS: SCORE - Give the game an overall grade from 0 to 10 where 10 is the best. No need grade graphics, sound and controls and such separately.

Game Challenges: (50)
10 KUDOS: EA - The game was published by Electronic Arts. (you're welcome, ewjim)
10 KUDOS: RIDE - You can ride on a living beast at some point in the game. Cutscenes counts. (yes, horses are beasts)
10 KUDOS: FISH - There exists a fish in this game. (you need to mention this in your review)
10 KUDOS: FIST - You can fight unarmed (or with iron knuckles/gloves)
10 KUDOS: EXCL - The game is exclusive to one console/computer. (digitally distributed rereleased (VC, PSN, XBLA, Steam) doesn't count and won't void this)

KUDOS EARNED SO FAR:

pant90 = 0 (this week 70)
Pondis = 40
EvilTheHuman = 70
Jamalais = 80 (This week = 50)
Nintastic = 90
Atsumer = 150 (this week = 70)
ewjim = 154 (this week = 50)
Last edited by Atsumer on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atsumer

Postby Atsumer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 am

Boom Blox (Wii)
PAL Release: 2008-05-09 Developer: EA Los Angeles, Publisher: Electronic Arts

The words "hidden gem" and "Electronic Arts" is like the same sides of a magnet - they repell each other. Either EA's games are mediocre or they are famous and not at all hidden. So what is EA's recipe for creating a hidden gem? You make a game in collaboration with Steven Spielberg of course! Done and done! ... A Wii game? By Steven Spielberg? Seriously? Yes, Seriously! According to Spielberg himself he wanted to make a game he could play with his kids... so why not do it for the kiddie console, right? Boom Blox was only released for the Wii ... well it was released for mobile devices as well using the N-Gage platform... but those were only digitally distributed so I will ignore their existance. Apparently it sold fairly well as EA made a sequel called Boom Blox: Bash Party. I intended to review them both together but I haven't had the time to play much this week... (read: "I didn't feel like playing that much this week"). Ok, let's throw ourselves into a construction of words I call: The Review!

In essence Boom Blox is a block physics puzzle game. You throw something at something that - if you hit it - will be affected by the forces of force and gravity... yep you're tearing things down by throwing things at them. Throwing things - like balls, bowling balls (!) and bombs - is just one of many game modes but surely is the dominent one (and funniest). In these stages the objective is collapse the structure so jewels fall of and break. You need to break all jewel with a set amount of throws. The fewer throws you need - the better the grade: Gold being the best. I'm one of those people that just can't go on from a level until I got the best possible rating. It wasn't too difficult to proceed though since all you need to do is thinking logically and predict how the blocks will fall if you throw a ball at that point with such force. And that is actually all there is to it. The physics of the game is so "realistic" that you can actually predict how a collapsed pillar will fall - for instance.

The controls work fine: You use the wiimote to aim at a spot with a crosshair. Click the A button to lock on and then you do a swing/swipe move with the controller and click A again to release the ball (or whatever you're throwing at the moment). The faster you swing the harder you throw. There are some problems though. When you've made a throw chances are that you point off screen - but the crosshair remains where you locked it. This is confusing as you need to re-align your aim by pointing back at the screen - otherwise you may think that you actually are pointing at the screen while you're actually pointing slightly below it. This is especially annoying when you need to throw things fast. Luckily most of the puzzles/levels are unstressful and you can take the time you need.

The graphical style and the small stories in the game are very charming. In the first Adventure mode story the sheeps (the Baaahs) go for a treasure hunt but are being robbed by the bears (the Grrrrs) and you have to defend your treasure just to have them stolwn by the monkies (the ????) anyway. You have to get them back, obviously. In that story you begin with several levels of topple-over-the-structure-to-get-the-jewels gameplay. In the next you throw bombs at the Grrrrs preventing them from stealing you're hard pillages jewels. The final stages is a combination of both. You throw balls at structures with jewel... and Monkies. The Monkies throw balls at your army of Baaahs and you need to defeat all monkies AND get all jewels before all of your Baaahs's been hit. A little stressful which gave reason for a couple of well deserved curses because of the problem mentioned in the previous paragraph. Dispite any inconveniences control wise it is a solid game.

There are also a Party mode for up to four players and a Build mode where you can create your own levels. I haven't tried any of those but the single player alone makes this game worth picking up for a few pounds.

Final verdict: This is an excellent game and if you haven't heard of it's definately a hidden gem (otherwise it's just a gem). I'll give this 8 blocky cows out of 10 blocky monkies.

I honestly couldn't find a good review or let's play of this game. There are a few on YouTube but I found all of them to be annoying in one way or another. Here's the original trailer instead. Shows the game pretty well.
Atsumer

Postby pant90 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Hey guys I want to get in for today... but I don't know what genre you are looking into this week. Or is it that I can simply choose one game and for everything that's in it kudowise I will earn kudos?
pant90

Postby Atsumer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 pm

@pant90: You wanting to join in is music to my ears :) You are free to choose any game you like and you can still earn 50 Kudos by just doing the general challenges. If you want more you should try to find a game that fulfil one or more of the game challenges. The main theme for this week i Electronic Arts games that are exclusive to one console/computer. I'm looking forward to read about what game you choose.
Atsumer

Postby jamalais » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 pm

A 'Must Play Monday' Production

Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS review

Written by 'jamalais'

Once again I have been rather busy so not had a hell of a lot of time for gaming however, since I was doing a lot of train travelling it gave me a chance to play Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS. Keep in mind I have not played the recent HD console ports so this review speaks to the handheld version only though many of the screen shots are from the console ports. Enjoy.
So it happened I'm doing two Resident Evil reviews in a row, what can I say I like the series and will continue to give it a shot even it does release horrible sequels.
Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS is somewhat conflicting for me as I'm playing it with knowledge of playing Resident Evil 6. Most peoples first question is, does this game return the series to it's roots. My answer is eeeerrrrr kind of but maybe this review will explain my opinion better.
Resident Evil: Revelations plot is pretty simple (if you are familiar with Resident Evil games) there's another dam virus and it's up to the BSAA (Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance) to go in packing firearms to sort it out ........ the American way (even though its a game made in Japan). The plot revolves mostly around Jill Valentine the protagonist from the original game however, you will play several characters through the course of the story.
For some reason the plot is made rather complex for no reason and is designed like some silly American TV drama as before you start each chapter a voiceover will say 'Previously on Resident Evil: Revelations' this would be fine if I was returning to a game after switching the console off but it does this even if you carry on playing which seems just silly repeating cut scenes you just saw.
For what its worth the cheesy voice acting returns, a few familiar enemies appear in the game and if you tolerated Resident Evil this far you will certainly tolerate the plot here, just don't expect it to be anymore impressive than previous games.
Gameplay is where it matters for this series and in this game feels a lot more Resident Evil 4 when compared to other games in the series. For the benefit of those who haven't played that game this game is very much a over the shoulder shooter. You can choose to aim in first or third person view depending on your preference. Gunplay is solid and there are a fair share of weapons which can be customised to your liking provided you have found some customizable weapon parts.
Enemies are well designed and will pursue you in appropriate creepy fashion unless you head through any door where they can't follow you. The main ones you'll encounter are a sort of fishy zombie human hybrid if that makes sense. There are also a large selection of boss fights. Ammo is essential so use it wisely as sometimes you may enter these boss battles unequipped and your pretty much screwed because enemies don't drop ammo in this game you have to literally hunt around for it (much like the original games in the series). I do like this mechanic as it makes you think is it worth spending your ammo on every enemy or should you avoid confrontation instead, just be aware health is quite scarce as well.
Shooting is solid but moving around can seem odd as there is no run button tilting the nub analogue stick makes you walk fast but sometimes when your trying to get away from a threat quickly Jill just seems to be casually walking away rather that running which would make more sense if a fish zombie was trying to eat you.
Some of the boss battles can feel incredibly cheap and frustrating as you get beat down again an again using up health items very fast and getting very annoyed with the lack of a decent run button. You can feel very backed into a corner at times and blame the games controls. Once you get your head round this it is tolerable.
Music and sound in the game is pretty good. Of course there is voice acting and its terrible but if your a fan of the series you would not have it any other way. Music has all the appropriate tension and dread but is not particularly memorable. Monster noises are gross and creepy which is awesome as you worry what may be around the next corner or a small corridor.
Graphics are pretty awesome especially for a 3DS game. If you like the 3D thing that works here to you can even make it higher in the in game options if you want, for me I'm not to fussed. Characters and Monsters all look great, the environments however, are mostly grey boring metal corridors and nothing special.
So now lets compare it with the rest of the series keep in mind this was released the same year as Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. If you had a choice go for this game but in my opinion this game does feel more like the older Resident Evil games however, it is still missing some of the survival horror magic like decent scary scenes. The game does a good job limiting ammo and health however, later in the game it still feels more action based than horror based as you go around blasting tons of enemies with a assault rifle rather than using a pistol, Capcom can't seem to help themselves.
Overall, if you like Resident Evil you already have this game. If you like survival horror games I definitely recommend this game and you should not feel disappointed. For the handheld fan I say gives this a shot as there really aren't many games like this on handhelds at all it shows the 3DS is capable of packing quite the punch.

6 Zombie fish out of 10 for me its a step in the right direction for the series but over the top stupid plot and a few frustratingly cheap boss battles keep this game from being a classic.

Resident Evil: Revelation was first released on 3DS but is now available on PC, Xbox 360, WiiU and PS3 but I can not speak to these versions as I have not played them.
jamalais

Postby pant90 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm

So here is my very first MPM submission check it out :D

Game: F-22 Interceptor
Console: Sega MD (exclusive)
Publisher: EA

So guys I went on wikipedia in order to check out if I have any EA title exclusive for one console (which is quite hard to find for EA as they usually publish to multiple consoles) and I found out that the last game I've bought for the MegaDrive was one of them....F-22 Interceptor (what an action loaded title right?)

Long story short: I popped in the game, searched the channel for the MD and started. The great title screen jumped right into my face a huge jet driving from left to right over the screen. You then have the choice of a campaign. Either USA, Korea or Iraqi (cliché I know), I've chosen the first one USA.

First you get an intro to the different enemies and missiles you can use (I tell you there are a lot). So alone the introduction lasts for more than half an hour. You learn how to shoot jets mostly Russian Migs, helicopters and ground vehicles like tanks or buildings.

You control the height and movement with the d-pad, speed with the a button, shooting missiles with the b button and the machine gun lies on the c button.

As I was playing Flight Simulator 95 as a child I know how to fly planes but this is very bad. The controls are far too slow and I mean it. You push the button wait a second and then you see what happens. On top of that, you almost never see your cross hair as the color (green) is the same as the ground.

The game is in all very lame, way to slow and the percentage of action and fun in the game is very close to 0. It's a simulation and no real game.

However the game has some good ideas implemented. For example, when taking turns very sharply, the screen starts to get dark because of the g-force that is driving the pilot to almost fall unconscious. On top of that when you stare into the sky the whole screen is turns orange. Another one is the missiles that you can steer while they are on their way. That are all the good points that I found in this game.

Is it fun to play? NO
Go play Afterburner II that's a very good dog fighting game.

I give the game a score of 3/10 as for me a game has to be fun. And yeah I did not finish the game as it was just too boring.

pant90 has spoken OVER. :ugeek:
pant90

Postby ewjim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:12 pm

A very late, entry that I shall sneak under the radar.....

I am supposed to be doing an EA game. But I can't be arsed. So here's Big Sky Trooper by JVC!

(not my copy, I only have it unboxed - not paying a fortune for a 'meh' game.

As a kid, I always wanted this game, in Nintendo Magazine System it looked amazing. Oh dear. Years of waiting for it and it hasn't really wowed me unfortunately. You are a kid on a space ship that is run by a computer dog (sure its the 90's, games don't have to explain themselves like the do today, just accept it). You go around space ridding the planets of invading alien scum, bringing harmony back to the universe.

Its always funny giving your characters rude / sweary names. Plus if you imagine him saying it as a Southern Dandy.

The game doubles up as an Asteroids clone and also a shooter game with puzzles, so it covers a lot of bases. Graphically it is very bright and cheery and the sound is suitably plinky. Once you have asteroided the alien ship you can land on the planet where you don a 'Dusty Bin' looking robot and continue to shoot all the movey greeny slimy things. It plays resonably well but the flaw is the diagonal shooting is a pain in the arse to pull off, more often that not resulting in you getting hit.

Also the controls are quite fiddly to the point of making the cycling through your items a complete chore - again resulting in you getting attacked. When you get further into the game some of the level design is actually quite fiendish - it becomes quite maze like but unfortunately the game didn't keep me excited enough to want to persevere.

Scores!
Graphics - 8 - big and bold characters, colourful levels
Sound - 5 - works for the game, nothing special
Playability - 5 - it gets a bit trudgey later on

Over all only 5 planets were liberated out of 10 from impending alien doom.
ewjim

Postby hydr0x » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:13 pm

ewjim wrote:So here's Big Sky Trooper by JVC!

It's actually by LucasArts, must be one of their least-known titles.
hydr0x
Site Admin

Postby ewjim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 pm

hydr0x wrote:
ewjim wrote:So here's Big Sky Trooper by JVC!

It's actually by LucasArts, must be one of their least-known titles.

I didn't want to sully their fine name with this mediocrity ;)
ewjim

Postby Atsumer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Feedback of the week

@Atsumer: I grant myself the following kudos: All general challenges = 50. On top of that I claim EA and EXCL which nets me 70 Kudos.

@Jamalais: Among all released Wii U games so far this is on the top of my list of must-have-sooner-rather-than-later-games. I have high hopes for this and your review didn't make me change my mind about it... Well, I got a little stomach ache at the beginning when you mention the "Previously on..." segments. That indeed sounds stupid and I hope they've fixed that on the console version. Darksiders II uses the same idea - but only upon loading a save file. It works really well there. Not only do we want bad voice acting - we want a bad script as well. I certainly hope the dialogue is as poorly written as we're used to. The dialogues between Leon and Hunnigan in Resident Evil 4 springs to mind... Great review!

You earn the JOIN, SCORE, FISH and FIST which nets you 50 Kudos. Mentioning Fish Zombies just have to mean that there are something fishy in here. I also assume that the unarmed attack is still present.

@pant90: To begin with I would like to welcome you to the event. Great to see that you went the extra mile to find a game that netted you some extra kudos. I must say that after looking at the youTube video I was rather impressed by this game. A vector based game for the Mega Drive in 1991? To me it looks good considering that. I also noted the oraneg sun blind that occurred when flying towards the sun. That's simulation for you! I wonder if you could spot a fish if you flew close to the water surface - probably not :) One thing that breaks the flight simulation illusion is that terrible music... does F 22 Interceptor pilotes listen to that noise? If they do and I was such I pilot I would take the parachute way out. Very good review!

Kudos have been earned: 50 game challenges as well as EA and EXCL which put you at 70 Kudos. Great work!

Operator: Sir! We have an strange echo on our underground radar.
Atsumer: Probably just a rock with itchy legs. It will soon calm down. Nothing to worry about.
Operator: That's a very long and thin rock, sir!
Atsumer: A worm... ?
Operator: Looks like it, sir!
Atsumer: Brace for Banana Bomb impact!!!

@ewjim: Big Sky Trooper... I had forgot about that game. It was some hype about it back in the days before release and I think it got some good reviews as well. All games got good reviews back then - except maybe The Lord of the Rings. I never played it, I knew nothing about it and after reading your review I'm convinced that it's nothing for me. I would probably pick this game up anyway just because the funny looking cute dog on the cover...

Kudos is given for JOIN, SCORE, EXCL and FISH. That's 50 Kudos! I watched some videos of this game and noticed something red swimming in the water on the planet Meander which could only be a fish.

That's it. This weeks MPM is now officially closed. Tomorrow (Thursday) I will post new criterias for next MPM. Keep up the good work!
Atsumer

Postby Atsumer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:37 pm

MUST PLAY MONDAY
OCTOBER 7 2013

If you want maximum kudos this week you need to find a racing game from Konami where you can upgrade your car in some way. The game have to be released worldwide and sold well enough to get a budget rerelease. I have no idea if such a game exists but how many of those challenges can you meet? As always you get kudos for just participating so feel free to ignore any challenges. It's reviewing games and sharing our thoughts about them that is important.

General challenges: (50)
20 KUDOS: JOIN - Participating in the event by writing a review and posting it on this thread.
10 KUDOS: COMM - Announcing your participation in the Community.
10 KUDOS: TUBE - Embedding a YouTube gameplay video (or a trailer) of your game in your review.
10 KUDOS: SCORE - Give the game an overall grade from 0 to 10 where 10 is the best. No need grade graphics, sound and controls and such separately.

Game Challenges: (50)
10 KUDOS: PUBL - The Publisher is Konami (or branches like Palcom and Ultra Games)
10 KUDOS: RACE - The game is a racing game or has a level where you race a vehicle either against opponents or time..
10 KUDOS: GLOBAL - The game was released in both Europe, North America and Japan (for this same console)
10 KUDOS: BUDGET - This game have a budget release
10 KUDOS: IMPROVE - You or your vehicle can be enhanced during the game. (Level up character, modify vehicle, get better equipment)

KUDOS EARNED SO FAR:

Pondis = 40
pant90 = 70
EvilTheHuman = 70
Nintastic = 90 (this week = 50)
Jamalais = 130 (this week = 70)
ewjim = 204 (this week = 50)
Atsumer = 220 ( this week = 70)
Last edited by Atsumer on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atsumer

Postby pant90 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:06 am

@Atsumer

About the music and the question if F-22 Interceptor pilots listen to that, I think it was a simple guess back then by EA because the real F-22 Jet was long before it's first mission when the game came out. ;)
pant90

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Gaming