Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Gameboy Collectors Unite!

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Re: Gameboy Collectors Unite!

Postby Inirius » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Does someone here have a complete GB list, with all locations (SCN, UKV…) ?
I’ve search a bit in these pages, but didn’t find anything.
Inirius

Postby gunstarhero » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 am

Inirius wrote:Does someone here have a complete GB list, with all locations (SCN, UKV…) ?
I’ve search a bit in these pages, but didn’t find anything.

http://www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/search?platform=17
I haven't removed the North American releases, so the above link will include all PAL releases along with the North American titles (you can filter these out accordingly)
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby Inirius » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Well, I’ve already found this list, but there’s only the titles, not the regions. It’s quite precise what I’m searching for, I guess.
I don’t know if you carry about the regions here, but I want every single regions of every single titles of GB games.

Such a list is really hard to make, so if someone has made it and don’t want to share it, I’ll understand :)
Inirius

Any advice for getting in GBA (GB/GBC included)

Postby straydog » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:08 am

So I'm pretty happy with my current console collection and the collecting bug is back while I've been cutting down the PS2 games. Thought why not go handheld and GBA seems a good idea due to the backwards compatibility and region free.

My goal has always been a bunch of games I enjoy and will play over hoarding so working on a wantlist but any advice on the buying side? Seen some knock off games on eBay so is there ways to tell if they are not legit? Is any market better to buy from than others or game dependant? Being Nintendo all good with cart only so will pick up some cases along the way.
straydog

Re: Any advice for getting in GBA (GB/GBC included)

Postby n-g-m » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:00 am

straydog wrote:So I'm pretty happy with my current console collection and the collecting bug is back while I've been cutting down the PS2 games. Thought why not go handheld and GBA seems a good idea due to the backwards compatibility and region free.

My goal has always been a bunch of games I enjoy and will play over hoarding so working on a wantlist but any advice on the buying side? Seen some knock off games on eBay so is there ways to tell if they are not legit? Is any market better to buy from than others or game dependant? Being Nintendo all good with cart only so will pick up some cases along the way.

Most of the time you can tell by the photo but I always ask for the imprinted number on the cartridge label. It should be on the right hand side. As far as I know, no fakes have this number on them. Please correct anyone if I'm wrong, but it's served me well when trawling through the fakes that outnumber genuine copies of anything by at least 5:1. Specific titles that are counterfeited most commonly are:
All Pokemon games
Both Zelda and Metroid games
Final Fantasy games
Fire Emblem games
Castlevania's -mainly The double pack and both titles as individual carts
Both Kirby's
All kinds of Mario games

The other fairly obvious way to spot fakes is the price. Normally you won't snag a Pokemon cart for £6-8 when the genuine copies go for double or more.

Hope that's of some help buddy :)
n-g-m

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Postby gingerraccoon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:47 am

Echo ngms comments; the number imprint is my #1 tell tale sign. Other more subtle things I’ve picked up on; the ‘gameboy advance’ imprint in the plastic with often be slightly less pronounced on fakes as someone’s presumably cast from an original at some point so lost some definition, wonky labels; if they don’t sit in the label alcove very well, finish; if the label doesn’t look the same colour or glossiness as any legit ones you may have, lot details; ‘new’, ‘like new’, ‘from carboot’ etc are all indicators of fakes.
gingerraccoon

Postby straydog » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Legend, thanks guys.

Surprisingly the first game that caught my attention was Wolfenstein and out of curiosity had a look to see what the going price was and there were so many from China and HK.

Going through a quick look on YT videos as dont want ports from other consoles (e.g. Mario NES titles) but the odd game may be a better replacement such as Final Fight One.
straydog

Postby RetroDecepticon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:55 pm

The GBA SP was the first console that was mine and mine alone. I got if from a friend. It may be scratched and battered, but her original battery still gives me 3-4 hours of play, and she runs well.
American SF fan, gamer, and collector.
RetroDecepticon

Help needed!

Postby land_of_gameboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:04 am

Hello all. I'm new on this forum, so hi to everyone! I need some advice on a game... The Adventures of Lolo for Gameboy. It is listed on here as having a UKV, but I have only ever seen EUR or FRG versions? Is this a mistake or am I looking for a super rare title here? I'm collecting UKV, European releases and USA exclusives. Thanks in advance, Elliott
land_of_gameboy

Postby Flozem » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:29 am

My cartridge says EUR on the label. Could be one of those games with localized boxes and generic labels.
Flozem

Collection Stats: www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/ ... ics/Flozem

Super Game Boy slightly "changing" content of games (?)

Postby Bizzgeburt » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Hello everybody,

I am currently working on a guide to all Game Boy (& Color) games playable with the 1rst. Nintendo Super Game Boy, including weither they have some featured special functions (Frames, colours, etc.) or not.
Doing so, I discovered that certain title's contents differ between playing on GB or SGB.

A little example:
Play “Final Fantasy Legend” on your Game Boy. You’ll find out, that the random enemy encounters in a certain area are always following a fixed pattern. This fixed pattern will be a different one when the game is played on SGB!

My Question:
Does anybody in here know of more games with comparable differences in game content that depend on what device the game is played with?
Sadly, I'm not unemployed neither am I bored enough to check that in every game. So, If some of ya'll know some Details about that (Game titles and the accuring differences), I'd be really glad to read about it here.

Thanks in Advance!
Bizzgeburt

Postby T Moleman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:23 pm

I dunno if you're talking about glitches or SGB enhanced games, anyway, here's a list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _Boy_games
T Moleman

Postby Bizzgeburt » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am

T Moleman wrote:I dunno if you're talking about glitches or SGB enhanced games, anyway, here's a list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _Boy_games

This list won't tell me nothing I didn't know before, but anyway, thanks a lot.

I guess that difference in game content as mentioned in my former post on the example Final Fantasy Legend (GB) won't be possible to detect in all games, so this will be a "function" of SGB that I won't mention in the guide I'm workin' on.
Bizzgeburt

Previous

Return to Retro Gaming