Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

3DO Discussion

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Please Help! Panasonic 3do no sound issue.

Postby RetroFan00 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:54 pm

I just got a panasonic 3do and i can sometimes get sound to come out of the headphone jack on the controller but i get no sound through the RCA jacks that connect to the TV.If anyone knows how i can fix it please leave a comment! Very much appreciated! :)
RetroFan00

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby Magnum0ik » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:57 pm

I would love a list showing the PAL/NTSC separately - this is one set I want to complete, although I suspect there will be some I cannot get/afford (like the previously mentioned plumbers wear ties).

Regarding telling the difference, it doesn't help when people modify their boxes. I just bought Star Wars Rebel Assault (didn't have for some reason) and someone has chopped the cover up to fit in a single jewel case - most annoying!

Magnum0ik

Postby gunstarhero » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 am

Magnum0ik wrote:I would love a list showing the PAL/NTSC separately..............

This is going to be particularly tricky, but working on it ;) . As you may be aware, the Retro Collect databases that have been done thus far for various systems are among the most accurate available in the world (if not the most accurate), especially as a PAL region resource. Although an occasional game may have been added with subsequent updates, since its inception, Retro Collect has prided itself on only adding a system or region to the database when there is reasonable belief that the list is accurate.

The PAL 3DO list is really tough. Not all PAL region 3DO collectors can agree what constitutes a PAL region release. Here in the UK for example, there were a number of North American long-box titles sold in major high-street retailers when the system was current-gen (such as Virgin Megastore and HMV) and the only thing that differentiated these from their USA iteration was an ELSPA (European age rating) sticker somewhere on the box and/or a different barcode sticker over the North American one. I personally consider these to be PAL region releases and not just imports, but others don't and therein lies a significant issue as to why the PAL list has not been available yet.

Where the ELSPA rating is printed on the case insert (as opposed to a sticker) or there is reference to the game being PAL region (i.e. some games' external packaging will say something like "will display in letterbox format on PAL systems"), then I think we are 98% there with regards to what was released in PAL format. A few games that were questioned several years ago have surfaced :D but over the last few years we have been actively scouring for the ELSPA stickered long-box games too. Any pictoral evidence or heads up if you find a long-box game with one of these stickers on the box (that you don't think saw a PAL region release) would be really welcomed. You may have already observed within this very thread the discussions and pictures to date, the 3DO is a really, really interesting system to catalogue, but one which I believe is also extremely difficult to say is 100% accurate because of the above and likelihood that there are going to be a few more ELSPA stickered games out there being discovered over the coming years which we have not seen before.
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby Magnum0ik » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:27 pm

I can certainly look at what I have got and take relevant pics if necessary - it may help. I only have 31 3DO games at the minute in various box sizes, long box to single jewel to double jewel. (a couple of disc only such as Doom and Daedalus Encounter).

I did try to take pics in the past but the forums have said it had reached limits for the discussion - any ideas? I could upload to my profile maybe.

I have seen various differences such as Super Wing Commander has "Pal" actually written on the CD for the UK version and my copy had a small case but my now current version is long box and, I believe, the NTSC version - no letterbox upon playing though. They are identical in how they play. Also, no reference to Pal on the disc itself.

My copy of Night Trap is long box and has a small white sticker on the long box with "Pal" written on the sticker and a different barcode stuck over the top of the original. (Maybe a Virgin or HMV import, as you mentioned). Certainly the Digital Pictures games I have are all long box - I have never seen a small box version on the 3DO. (Mega CD is a different story but that would be for another discussion).

Another problem is when an original owner "disposes" of the long box, to save storage and purely uses the jewel case that sometimes came within. (I think Daedalus had a double jewel case within the long box). They then sell on like this and I guess it is then very hard to tell what you have.

I will have a proper look and post some pics. I am also UK by the way and will certainly help where I can, I have also come across a spreadsheet which seems to have a pretty comprehensive list within - and indicates region for each title. Obtained here ...https://nixzero.wordpress.com/236-2/

Magnum0ik

3DO FZ-1 - Power Supply Advice

Postby Straker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi All,

Newbie to the site so hello and thank you for having me. I am a SNES lover but recently acquired a Panasonic 3DO FZ-1. It is a US unit and the internal PSU has been fried due to being connected to a UK 240v socket. I would like to bring it back to life and was wondering if I could replace the internal PSU with one from a UK unit? Anyone know if this would work or are there additional US specific components that would prevent success?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Straker
Straker

Postby Magnum0ik » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Welcome to the forums and good choice with a 3do - my favourite console.

I don't know if you can swap the PSUs but I would personally just get a new console. You can still get them at a good price on ebay - both FZ1 and FZ10. I personally have an FZ10 now. I did have a FZ1 but preferred a top loader. For the price you may pay for the parts you need, the new console may be not far more and you could get some games in the deal.

Magnum0ik

Postby hydr0x » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that I won't be specifically adding the PAL games before we convert to the new database. The new database will support multi-area (e.g. US + Europe) games on a game by game basis instead of the whole system. Thus, we will be able to convert the US entries which have (stickered or real) EU releases to US + EU releases with variants for the different regional versions.
hydr0x
Site Admin

Postby Magnum0ik » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 pm

That’s fair enough.

I have finally managed to get Captain Quazar!

It tends to go for quite a bit over here - £50 to £150 so have been reluctant to pay this. Someone was selling 4 games for £20 (Road Rash, Fifa, Return Fire and Captain Quazar). All games complete. Very pleased but does mean I have a spare Fifa and Road Rash.

Magnum0ik

Postby Back in Time Sime » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Joining in as I love the 3DO, I sold my Amiga 1200 +harddisk and a shed load of games (I mean a lot) to get a 3DO and FIFA...

The feeling of playing FIFA was soo disapointing, I had lost so much for so little...

Hope was this new Need for Speed game in the magazines, now that look worth waiting for, and OMG was it!!! made all those dirty feelings go away and put the machine into my little book of pleasure...

Also I always thought it looked like the San Siro football stadium, but maybe thats just me :)

Only have a small collection of games though, as I feel it was lacking titles worth having, but those that it did have (at the time) blow you christmas sock off... Road Rash anybody!!!!
Check out my YouTube weekly review show "Back in Time Sime" - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw
Back in Time Sime

Postby storm_shadow » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 pm

The 3DO's two 1996 Olympics based games, Olympic Soccer and Summer Games seem super rare?

A couple copies seem to pop up on ebay for Summer Games and vary wildly in price (some for over $150!), and Soccer doesnt seem to appear anywhere.

Im guessing these two games (both US Gold published) were amongst the final releases for the system in mid 96 so probably had small print runs.
storm_shadow

Postby Magnum0ik » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:44 am

storm_shadow wrote:The 3DO's two 1996 Olympics based games, Olympic Soccer and Summer Games seem super rare?

A couple copies seem to pop up on ebay for Summer Games and vary wildly in price (some for over $150!), and Soccer doesnt seem to appear anywhere.

Im guessing these two games (both US Gold published) were amongst the final releases for the system in mid 96 so probably had small print runs.

As you say, these are rare but that price tag seems a bit steep. I have seen soccer occasionally - £30 if I recall last but i didn't pick it up. I am very keen to play these (especially Olympic games).

Everytime a rare one appears at a good price, It is bad timing for my finances!! One day.....

EDIT: I take that back. I looked after reading the post and indeed, Olympic Games is around £145 in ebay and USA only.

Magnum0ik

3DO - To keep or not to keep? Game recommendations?

Postby unessential » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:01 am

I got a 3DO for a pretty reasonable price (I thought) last year together with Return Fire which is the only game I knew I really wanted for it. I've never played Gex so now I'm on the lookout for a decent quality copy of that.

Beyond these 2 are there any other really good 3DO games anyone would recommend? Particularly any system exclusives or superior versions? I'm struggling a bit to find any.

Or should I just abandon 3DO, sell it and use the money towards some of the increasingly expensive Saturn games from my long Saturn list? Gotta save enough ££ for Deep Fear and Mr Bones :!: :o

Oh also I didn't see a 3DO Collectors Unite thread, did I miss it or are 3DO collectors a rare breed?
unessential

Re: 3DO - To keep or not to keep? Game recommendations?

Postby gunstarhero » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:28 am

unessential wrote:Oh also I didn't see a 3DO Collectors Unite thread, did I miss it or are 3DO collectors a rare breed?

Nope, you weren't wrong, but there has been a 3DO discussion thread, so I've merged :)

I love my 3DO, but much of that is due to the fact that my FZ-1 console was purchased by myself on launch day here in the UK. I think that if you start to compare to the Saturn and other disc based 32-Bit systems, the 3DO does show that it came before. It was a system that didn't enjoy the retail life of a SEGA or Nintendo system of the time for the 3rd/4th wave of software to push it's limits and of course we know that the PS1 came along to finish it off.

From a collector's perspective though, there is much to consider. The 3DO was the console that gave birth to new franchises that went on to enjoy many sequels, such as The Need for Speed; Gex (as you have mentioned) and at the time, the 3DO versions of popular series' of the day (Road Rash; Madden NFL; PGA Tour Golf notably) absolutely blew the previous SEGA and Nintendo versions away. The 3DO also has some extremely difficult to find games. Many of the 3DO's game library went on to find a new home on the Saturn and PS1, but I would argue that it's good to observe that some of these titles started out in their console iterations with the 3DO (The Horde; Wing Commander; D; Johnny Bazookatone; Panzer General; the under-rated (IMO) PO'ed; Space Hulk; the excellent Return Fire (as you have noted) along with many others appeared on the 3DO first).

You may find that the 3DO is a lot more expensive to collect for compared to other 32-Bit systems such as the SEGA Saturn. There are plenty of titles in the library that really do not turn up for sale, which may have some bearing on price too when they do as there is a decent 3DO community.

The FZ-1 for me is also one of the loveliest looking consoles to have ever been released. That said, I would choose a Saturn over the 3DO if I could only have one though because of the Saturn's software library and lovely sprite handling capabilities (especially as a shmup fan). Like the equitable Amiga CD32, the 3DO seems to be one of those systems that people either really like or dislike, but it does deserve a place in the history of gaming for providing the platform for what came next (and as much as I love SEGA, the 3DO leaves the Mega CD in it's dust trail.
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby Jack_Neuro » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 am

I gotta get me a 3DO.
My collection demands it.
I had one before the PSX and Saturn released.

Had a lot of good times on 3DO.
Jack_Neuro

Postby Jack_Neuro » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:04 am

gunstarhero wrote:
unessential wrote:Oh also I didn't see a 3DO Collectors Unite thread, did I miss it or are 3DO collectors a rare breed?

The FZ-1 for me is also one of the loveliest looking consoles to have ever been released. That said, I would choose a Saturn over the 3DO if I could only have one though because of the Saturn's software library and lovely sprite handling capabilities (especially as a shmup fan). Like the equitable Amiga CD32, the 3DO seems to be one of those systems that people either really like or dislike, but it does deserve a place in the history of gaming for providing the platform for what came next (and as much as I love SEGA, the 3DO leaves the Mega CD in it's dust trail.

Agreed on the aesthetic observation, Gunstar.
My 3DO was FZ-1 and it was a handsome beast.
Pretty well made, too.
I'd probably grab the first bargain i found to add 3DO to my collection but as a place holder until i got an FZ-1.
Jack_Neuro

Postby Jack_Neuro » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:13 am

unessential wrote:I got a 3DO for a pretty reasonable price (I thought) last year together with Return Fire which is the only game I knew I really wanted for it. I've never played Gex so now I'm on the lookout for a decent quality copy of that.

Beyond these 2 are there any other really good 3DO games anyone would recommend? Particularly any system exclusives or superior versions? I'm struggling a bit to find any.

Or should I just abandon 3DO, sell it and use the money towards some of the increasingly expensive Saturn games from my long Saturn list? Gotta save enough ££ for Deep Fear and Mr Bones :!: :o

Oh also I didn't see a 3DO Collectors Unite thread, did I miss it or are 3DO collectors a rare breed?

Star Control 2 is freeware with 3DO enhancements for PC now but if you find a hard copy grab it it's ace.
However if you google "The Ur Quan Masters" it's free on PC.

Need for speed is really good as is Road Rash.
Way of the Warrior is okay with a beast soundtrack.
PO'ed is a weird and wacky FPS.
Slayer os a basic first person dungeon hack that I really enjoyed. Bit slow but fun little D&D chop em up.
Wolfenstein is a perfect Wolf3D port but Doom is a little slow with a small window.
Samurai Shodown is excellent as is Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo.
Off World Interceptor is a giggle for a bit and it has a sister game with a space fighter that i can't recall it's name.
Theme Park is good if you don't mind using a pad.
I think Syndicate made it to 3DO as well and that's always fun on any platform.
Jack_Neuro

Postby unessential » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 pm

gunstarhero wrote: I love my 3DO, but much of that is due to the fact that my FZ-1 console was purchased by myself on launch day here in the UK. I think that if you start to compare to the Saturn and other disc based 32-Bit systems, the 3DO does show that it came before. It was a system that didn't enjoy the retail life of a SEGA or Nintendo system of the time for the 3rd/4th wave of software to push it's limits and of course we know that the PS1 came along to finish it off.

From a collector's perspective though, there is much to consider. The 3DO was the console that gave birth to new franchises that went on to enjoy many sequels, such as The Need for Speed; Gex (as you have mentioned) and at the time, the 3DO versions of popular series' of the day (Road Rash; Madden NFL; PGA Tour Golf notably) absolutely blew the previous SEGA and Nintendo versions away. The 3DO also has some extremely difficult to find games. Many of the 3DO's game library went on to find a new home on the Saturn and PS1, but I would argue that it's good to observe that some of these titles started out in their console iterations with the 3DO (The Horde; Wing Commander; D; Johnny Bazookatone; Panzer General; the under-rated (IMO) PO'ed; Space Hulk; the excellent Return Fire (as you have noted) along with many others appeared on the 3DO first).

You may find that the 3DO is a lot more expensive to collect for compared to other 32-Bit systems such as the SEGA Saturn. There are plenty of titles in the library that really do not turn up for sale, which may have some bearing on price too when they do as there is a decent 3DO community.

Couldn't have put it better myself, thank you! I only buy games I'm looking to play, perhaps thats the problem beyond Gex and Return Fire. PO'ed looks like it could be worth a try so I'll add that to the watch list! For context maybe, I also own a Jaguar and Mega CD. I actually really like the Jaguar, I have 5 games for it (including the mentioned Theme Park) which I'm actually very happy with - based on everything I had read I wasn't expecting much from it. The Mega CD on the other hand is the opposite, I expected great things and actually it's pretty underwhelming.
3DO I'm not sure what I was expecting, I never had 1 back in the day, I had heard a lot in recent years and was curious. I'll look up the games you guys mentioned and give it another try, thanks!
unessential

Postby Magnum0ik » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:25 am

Gunstar has said it all really.

I love my 3do - I have the FZ-10 model (I had the FZ-1 back in the day) and it has many of my favourite games of all time on the system, along with some great exclusives. Many games which are not exclusives started as exclusives and were only ported when it was deemed the 3do was failing.

Road Rash, Wing Commander 3, Super Wing Commander, Space Hulk, Star Control 2, Night Trap, Sewer Shark (I am a sucker for the FMV Cheese!!), PGA Tour 96, Demolition Man, Foes of Ali, Syndicate, Theme Park, Starblade, Shockwave.

Prices are increasing now and some go for a few £££. Captain Quazar tends to be one of the pricier games, as does "D" but if you are patient, you can pick up at a reasonable price. Also, being a region free console, you can pick up the Japanese games and give these a try.

Magnum0ik

Postby Jack_Neuro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 am

Magnum0ik wrote:Gunstar has said it all really.

I love my 3do - I have the FZ-10 model (I had the FZ-1 back in the day) and it has many of my favourite games of all time on the system, along with some great exclusives. Many games which are not exclusives started as exclusives and were only ported when it was deemed the 3do was failing.

Road Rash, Wing Commander 3, Super Wing Commander, Space Hulk, Star Control 2, Night Trap, Sewer Shark (I am a sucker for the FMV Cheese!!), PGA Tour 96, Demolition Man, Foes of Ali, Syndicate, Theme Park, Starblade, Shockwave.

Prices are increasing now and some go for a few £££. Captain Quazar tends to be one of the pricier games, as does "D" but if you are patient, you can pick up at a reasonable price. Also, being a region free console, you can pick up the Japanese games and give these a try.

Hell yeah :)
Forgot about Starblade and WC3.
I played the derriere off of both games.
The 3DO is high on my "must get" systems.
It's good to see some love being shared for the system as some people are really down on it.
Next to PSX and Saturn it's limitations seem more pronounced but for those of us who played 3DO when it was the most powerful home system we have when it blew us away in our memories.
Jack_Neuro

Postby Magnum0ik » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:44 am

storm_shadow wrote:The 3DO's two 1996 Olympics based games, Olympic Soccer and Summer Games seem super rare?

Finally managed to get a copy of Olympic Soccer in a bundle of games. 13 games for £70 - Sold the duplicates for pretty much what I paid so was very pleased. I have never seen Olympic Games in the wild - I have the demo and that's it.

Magnum0ik

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Gaming