Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

3DO Discussion

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

3DO Discussion

Postby Darkstalker90 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Tinsair wrote:
CD-i wrote:A "few" games for my 3DO collection ^^


Very nice 3DO haul :)

The only longcase 3DO game I have is Space Ace, the rest are single or double cased games.


That's the problem with 3DO collecting. Longboxes were only used in the US so if you have loose jewel cases of any kind then they could be the Japanese/Euro versions of US versions with the boxes missing. Since the machine is region-free, it's also not immediately clear from looking at the games where they are from. You really need to look at the small print and do some research.
User avatar
Darkstalker90
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby Tinsair » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Darkstalker90 wrote:
Tinsair wrote:
CD-i wrote:A "few" games for my 3DO collection ^^


Very nice 3DO haul :)

The only longcase 3DO game I have is Space Ace, the rest are single or double cased games.


That's the problem with 3DO collecting. Longboxes were only used in the US so if you have loose jewel cases of any kind then they could be the Japanese/Euro versions of US versions with the boxes missing. Since the machine is region-free, it's also not immediately clear from looking at the games where they are from. You really need to look at the small print and do some research.


Yeah, it sure is a complicated console when it comes to finding the region of a game. I'm pretty sure most of my games are the PAL version though, but as you say it's difficult so not 100% sure.
Mega Drive: 1 | Mega-CD: 7 | 32X: 5
Master System: 1 Card | N64: 14

My Want List
User avatar
Tinsair
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: Northampton Town, United Kingdom
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-564.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-564.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby gunstarhero » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Tinsair wrote:
Yeah, it sure is a complicated console when it comes to finding the region of a game. I'm pretty sure most of my games are the PAL version though, but as you say it's difficult so not 100% sure.


Nearly started a 3DO collectors unite thread as conscious of going off topic here, but with regards to the last few posts, I still have my 3DO from launch day in the UK and I can remember long boxed games with the USA ratings for sale at UK retailers. Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street, London sold many long box games. However, most UK games were released in jewel cases just about everywhere else.
Image
User avatar
gunstarhero
 
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 pm
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby Darkstalker90 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 pm

gunstarhero wrote:
Tinsair wrote:
Yeah, it sure is a complicated console when it comes to finding the region of a game. I'm pretty sure most of my games are the PAL version though, but as you say it's difficult so not 100% sure.


Nearly started a 3DO collectors unite thread as conscious of going off topic here, but with regards to the last few posts, I still have my 3DO from launch day in the UK and I can remember long boxed games with the USA ratings for sale at UK retailers. Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street, London sold many long box games. However, most UK games were released in jewel cases just about everywhere else.


I've also had US games with UK BBFC ratings stickers on the cases as if they've been imported then had a UK rating slapped on just so they can be sold over here. One of them was The Daedalus Enocounter which has no blurb on the back of the box (like the US versions which have the blurb on the back of the longbox) and also a B&W instruction booklet in the case.

Now usually, US games have loose instruction books that are larger than the jewel cases but this cheap-looking manual fits inside the case but the lack of text on the back makes it look like it was from a US big box. Very strange indeed.
User avatar
Darkstalker90
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby CD-i » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:10 am

Hm, most of my bigbox games have a special bigger manual, but some are only a jewel case inside the big box. the manuas is simply the jewelcase inlay - like Plumbers don't wear ties ^^
User avatar
CD-i
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby Tinsair » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:31 am

CD-i wrote:Hm, most of my bigbox games have a special bigger manual, but some are only a jewel case inside the big box. the manuas is simply the jewelcase inlay - like Plumbers don't wear ties ^^

I played Luciennes Quest for about 3 hours. I'm not the kind of RPG guy I have to admit (thats why I love 3DO and Jaguar :lol: ). It a nice game, and if you're into JRPGs its worth a play. It not very story driven and the encounters happen too often, but it plays nice. The only thing is the high prices (I got mine for around 8€ but it was in a lot).


Would I be right in saying though, that the Double-CD cases (like Mega-CD games) are PAL versions? As they wouldn't fit into a longcase US box. Just a thought maybe?
Mega Drive: 1 | Mega-CD: 7 | 32X: 5
Master System: 1 Card | N64: 14

My Want List
User avatar
Tinsair
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: Northampton Town, United Kingdom
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-564.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-564.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby JokerJur » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:45 am

Tinsair wrote:
CD-i wrote:Hm, most of my bigbox games have a special bigger manual, but some are only a jewel case inside the big box. the manuas is simply the jewelcase inlay - like Plumbers don't wear ties ^^

I played Luciennes Quest for about 3 hours. I'm not the kind of RPG guy I have to admit (thats why I love 3DO and Jaguar :lol: ). It a nice game, and if you're into JRPGs its worth a play. It not very story driven and the encounters happen too often, but it plays nice. The only thing is the high prices (I got mine for around 8€ but it was in a lot).


Would I be right in saying though, that the Double-CD cases (like Mega-CD games) are PAL versions? As they wouldn't fit into a longcase US box. Just a thought maybe?


I think thanks correct, my PAL 3DO games all have Double-CD cases while longboxes have single CD cases.
It's a start anyway!
Image
User avatar
JokerJur
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Netherlands
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-364.html

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby Tinsair » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:56 am

JokerJur wrote:
Tinsair wrote:
CD-i wrote:Hm, most of my bigbox games have a special bigger manual, but some are only a jewel case inside the big box. the manuas is simply the jewelcase inlay - like Plumbers don't wear ties ^^

I played Luciennes Quest for about 3 hours. I'm not the kind of RPG guy I have to admit (thats why I love 3DO and Jaguar :lol: ). It a nice game, and if you're into JRPGs its worth a play. It not very story driven and the encounters happen too often, but it plays nice. The only thing is the high prices (I got mine for around 8€ but it was in a lot).


Would I be right in saying though, that the Double-CD cases (like Mega-CD games) are PAL versions? As they wouldn't fit into a longcase US box. Just a thought maybe?


I think thanks correct, my PAL 3DO games all have Double-CD cases while longboxes have single CD cases.
It's a start anyway!


I was also thinking if any of the single CD cases had an ELSPA age rating printed on the back that would surely make them PAL releases too?
Mega Drive: 1 | Mega-CD: 7 | 32X: 5
Master System: 1 Card | N64: 14

My Want List
User avatar
Tinsair
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: Northampton Town, United Kingdom
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-564.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-564.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby JokerJur » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:09 am

I was also under the impression that PAL releases have the little text on the cover, about PAL display being in letterbox format.
Maybe we shuld investigate our own 3DO collections in a seperate topic to see if we can come up with a way to create a list?
Image
User avatar
JokerJur
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Netherlands
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-364.html

Re: What Retro Games have you bought this week?

Postby Tinsair » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:22 am

JokerJur wrote:I was also under the impression that PAL releases have the little text on the cover, about PAL display being in letterbox format.
Maybe we shuld investigate our own 3DO collections in a seperate topic to see if we can come up with a way to create a list?


Yeah sounds like a good idea, I'll dig my games out after the weekend and post up all the details about them. I'll let you create the topic to get started ;)

I have around 50 or so games so shouldn't take too long to do, and can have the info about them up Monday night hopefully :)
Mega Drive: 1 | Mega-CD: 7 | 32X: 5
Master System: 1 Card | N64: 14

My Want List
User avatar
Tinsair
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: Northampton Town, United Kingdom
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-564.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-564.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby JokerJur » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 am

Seems like it was created for us, thanks mystery mod! :mrgreen:

I'll compile a list of what I've got as well, this is fun! :D
Image
User avatar
JokerJur
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Netherlands
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-364.html

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby gunstarhero » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:14 am

Right then, that's my weekend project too. I'll check out what I've got and share with everyone as well
Image
User avatar
gunstarhero
 
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 pm
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby hydr0x » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:53 am

Here's my list to get things started: .... oh right, I don't own any 3DO games :lol:
User avatar
hydr0x
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby JokerJur » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I made some pics already, first off Road Rash, this game show ELSPA rating and talks about the letterbox format on PAL systems. It's also a Double-CD case. It's my opinion these releases are PAL releases. Also, these releases often if not always show several languages on the back of the game.

ImageImage

The following games have all the same stuff going for them, just like Road Rash:
Image
Image

These following 3 games have all the same marks, but are in a single CD case. This is how I bought them from old stock, so I think they're supposed to be like this.
Image
Image

These 2 seem to be American, but have ELSPA rating stickers under their seal, not sure what to make of them.
Could be that the US and PAL releases are identical?
Image
Image

Then 2 games without ELSPA rating, but they do mention the PAL letterbox format. Text on the back however is not multi-langual. Not sure what to make of them.

Image
Image

Finally, some longbox games. These get interesting!
Image

At first glance, these are US releases, however, Digital Dreamware has ELSPA stickers and other stickers added on the back as well as a multilangual insert manual, this one IS US but was also distributed in Europe?
Image
Image

The other 2 are US releases.
Image
Image
User avatar
JokerJur
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Netherlands
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-364.html

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby hydr0x » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:33 pm

I think what would really help is a way to get access to the old now defunct ELSPA rating database. It must exist somewhere. I'll ask on a game preservation mailing list which has loads of archivists on it if anyone has an idea how to get access to that.
User avatar
hydr0x
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby gunstarhero » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:42 pm

@JokerJur

I thought exactly the same as you looking at my copy of Gridders and Pataank!

I've got that long-box version of Digital Dreamware and this was exaclty the game I had in my consciousness when I said in an earlier post in this thread that I remenber games in long-boxes being sold here in the UK. The copy of Digital Dreamware I have in my own collection was purchased by me brand new at retail when it was released. I can confirm that this game WAS released in the UK with the USA box but ELSPA sticker as you have pictured as I purchased it myself from Virgin Megastroe in London's Oxford Street. I know you have to take my word from it, but nobody will be able to convince me otherwise that it did not get a UK release at a mainstream high-street videogame retailer as I remember purchasing it personally. My copy also has the other sticker that adorns your copy too that says Imported to Europe by Virgin Interactive Entertainment (Europe) Ltd.
This may account for how I managed to purchase it in Virgin Megastore but never saw it anywhere else?

Personally I think we need to go the way of the Jaguar when it comes to establishing what was released where. Nearly all of my 3DO games have either the ELSPA sticker on the case/insert or printed to the actual insert.
Image
User avatar
gunstarhero
 
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 pm
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby Tinsair » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:57 pm

gunstarhero wrote:@JokerJur

I thought exactly the same as you looking at my copy of Gridders and Pataank!

I've got that long-box version of Digital Dreamware and this was exaclty the game I had in my consciousness when I said in an earlier post in this thread that I remenber games in long-boxes being sold here in the UK. The copy of Digital Dreamware I have in my own collection was purchased by me brand new at retail when it was released. I can confirm that this game WAS released in the UK with the USA box but ELSPA sticker as you have pictured as I purchased it myself from Virgin Megastroe in London's Oxford Street. I know you have to take my word from it, but nobody will be able to convince me otherwise that it did not get a UK release at a mainstream high-street videogame retailer as I remember purchasing it personally. My copy also has the other sticker that adorns your copy too that says Imported to Europe by Virgin Interactive Entertainment (Europe) Ltd.
This may account for how I managed to purchase it in Virgin Megastore but never saw it anywhere else?

Personally I think we need to go the way of the Jaguar when it comes to establishing what was released where. Nearly all of my 3DO games have either the ELSPA sticker on the case/insert or printed to the actual insert.


Maybe all the longcase releases in the UK were Virgin made games to start with? Hence why Jammit & Quarentine don't have the imported by Virgin & ELSPA stickers on them, so they could import their own games from the USA to Europe/UK? Kind of like the Mega Drive games like Tony LaRussa etc had just AUS age rating stickers on them to sell in their country :?:

As for The Daedalus Encounter thats' a puzzling one, it's a Double-CD case so couldn't possibly fit in the longcase release that was made :?

By Monday I shall have a look at any games that aren't already listed on here in my collection, which now won't be as many as I have most of the above :)
Mega Drive: 1 | Mega-CD: 7 | 32X: 5
Master System: 1 Card | N64: 14

My Want List
User avatar
Tinsair
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: Northampton Town, United Kingdom
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-564.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-564.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby gunstarhero » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Tinsair wrote:
As for The Daedalus Encounter thats' a puzzling one, it's a Double-CD case so couldn't possibly fit in the longcase release that was made :?



A friend of mine who had a 3DO back in the day (along with myself - 3DO owners were few and far between so you tended to know who else had one!) had a problem with his console and it took some time to repair. When it was retuned by 3DO they included a few brand new games and one of these I distinclty remember was Daedalus Encounter. You are right, the double jewel case does not fit into the long box. Even the long boxed packaged multi-disc games I do have for the 3DO either come in cardboard slip-sleeves within the long box or in a smaller jewel case or two.
Image
User avatar
gunstarhero
 
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 pm
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby Tinsair » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

gunstarhero wrote:
Tinsair wrote:
As for The Daedalus Encounter thats' a puzzling one, it's a Double-CD case so couldn't possibly fit in the longcase release that was made :?



A friend of mine who had a 3DO back in the day (along with myself - 3DO owners were few and far between so you tended to know who else had one!) had a problem with his console and it took some time to repair. When it was retuned by 3DO they included a few brand new games and one of these I distinclty remember was Daedalus Encounter. You are right, the double jewel case does not fit into the long box. Even the long boxed packaged multi-disc games I do have for the 3DO either come in cardboard slip-sleeves within the long box or in a smaller jewel case or two.


Yeah so I'm thinking that game is a PAL release, and maybe they forgot to print an ELSPA age rating on the back cover so quickly did a sticker for the case?

I'm also thinking if there's any longcase games that had long manuals within them, if there's any single case games that are the same game we have with manuals that just fit the single case, if so they must be PAL versions too? As they created a manual special for the smaller case. Or did the longcase games also have a smaller manuals for the single-CD cases aswell as a long manual included too?
Mega Drive: 1 | Mega-CD: 7 | 32X: 5
Master System: 1 Card | N64: 14

My Want List
User avatar
Tinsair
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: Northampton Town, United Kingdom
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-564.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-564.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Re: 3DO Discussion

Postby Darkstalker90 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 pm

What did I help start? :lol:

As for the double/single disc case issue, I have Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Burning Soldier in single-disc jewel cases (amongst others) and both state clearly on the back "Distributed by Panasonic UK Ltd". In the case of SSFII Turbo, it's easy to spot an EU copy since the US version has a different cover for the jewel case (it has Akuma on the cover looking pretty evil it has to be said) and the Japanese version is called Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge.

I haven't bought any 3DO games in a while but this thread is tempting me...so close to Christmas too!

Did anybody else have a 3DO lightgun? I had a bright orange American Laser Games one a while ago it was absolutely awful in terms of accuracy. Just a friendly warning since these things go for quite some money when they surface on ebay because they're pretty rare. Don't buy one!
User avatar
Darkstalker90
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Next

Return to Retro Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest