Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Retrocollect Gamestash Challenge

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Re: Retrocollect Gamestash Challenge

Postby MysterionMunky » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 am

n-g-m wrote: The good news is that deal will form part of my collection challenge blog though and I will update it on Sunday as I've still got an auction and a couple of booties to hit at the weekend ;)

Can't stand it when that happens mate. There's always people out there who want to ruin the deal for other - had it happen to myself on multiple occasions! Although thankfully, in most cases the sellers have been happy to go along with the deal.

Shame that they took the sealed SMB out the deal but still a great price for £80 - were there any stand out games in the bundle mate?

I also just picked up 2x Game Gears and a bundle of 25-30 GG games for £25.00 from a local site but alas I have no money left in my budget so unfortunately won't be able to be part of this challenge also :cry:
MysterionMunky

Postby gingerraccoon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Evening all.

Like most I’ve had some purchasses that are out of my budget to be involved here but do have an official update:

Mortal kombat 4 has sold on eBay. Was worried as next to no-one had even viewed it with an ambitious price of £17.99. Had an offer of £14 so snapped his hand off. Phew. After postage and fees that leaves me with £11.06. I also made a purchase; mario Kart double dash zelda edition via a Facebook game group for £20. Patiently waited with me £20 offer on the table till no1 else bit and he came down to my price from his £26 start. The bad news? Sleeve is pretty tatty and an ill thought out game of ‘who can open their post first’ with my workmate meant in achieving victory I dropped it on a hard floor, seemingly breaking the 2nd disc holders pins that hold it in the case. Doh! Gotta wait for an eBay £1 offer again and hope to get high £20s for it.

Long story short. State of play; Cash: £16.06. Item to sell: Double dash zelda. Keeping: nowt yet.
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:34 pm

All updated :)

@MysterionMunky - There's still some great dealings going on there. Shame it's out of your budget for this challenge but absolutely great to hear none-the-less. Keep it up mate, you're doing brilliant!! There were a few Mario's in the bundle. I'll post some pics in my own challenge thread later on today for you to look at and explain it all on there ;)

@Gingerraccoon
I quite like your idea of building up the cash and then going for the premium stuff - it could be a winning strategy ;)

Very quick one from me - I swapped the DSi for Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PS2 in my mates shop. For now, this is going down as a game in the collection but if I get short on cash it might have to be sold. So I still have £15 and basically got this for a tenner (which I paid for the DSi).

It's brilliant to see all of us sharing some good deals here and I can the winner having put together one hell of a set of games at this rate...
n-g-m

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Postby wappersha » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Finally got started today with these 3 bits.

£5 on the switch game, £2 amiibo and 50p madballs.

Keeping the amiibo and selling the other 2 bits.
wappersha

Postby gingerraccoon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Nice wappersha, welcome to the fray.

Went a car boot for the first time in ages, but was a bust, and talking to a game seller who witnessed several traders sweep up at 5:30am not sure i’ll bother again for a while. Also had a strange experience of buying ocarina of time for 7.50 on eBay, only to be refunded without reason 2 hours later, on an accepted best offer. Odd.
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Wappersha is now off the mark - well done mate, some steals there ;)

I have only added the Amiibo and Switch game though as we are only allowed to deal in video game merchandise for this challenge, so whatever profit you make from that will keep you going. I'd be curious to know what you sell the card game for though as I've never picked up one of those. Might help me in my challenge blog :)

I have been to a carboot this morning and got some bits and pieces, some part of this challenge and some board games that will posted on my own collection blog shortly. Here is my gaming pick ups:

I paid a total of £13.50 for all of these: Breaks down into £2 for the mics, £3.50 for the PS3 games and £1 each for the other 8 games. Going to keep the PS3, DS and Xbox 360 games as don't seem worth selling on at the moment and they have that "potential collectible" look about them. Got all the PS2 games already so they can go, torn on whether to keep Destruction Derby or not but for now it will go into the items for sale pile until I make up my mind.

I now have £1.50 left to my name :lol:
n-g-m

Postby Hooly555 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Wow n-g-m Good haul for only 13.50. I haven't played destruction derby for years. If I remember correctly I wasn't 100% struck by it.
What do think about it?
Hooly555

Postby gingerraccoon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:37 pm

A snappier update from me; took an eBay punt on a stock photo luigis mansion, bit of messaging and I got a description and few quid off, so cost £14.40 and was complete and in decent nick on arrival. Leaves me with mario Kart/zelda, luigis mansion and a whopping £1.66 left. Been adding to my collection separately a lot recently so am worried, with a small and specific hit list, that I might not add much to my collection through this endeaver, as I’m snaffling up good prices as I see them.

gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Like your strategy of buy Luigi's Mansion, sell Luigi's Mansion Gingerraccoon ;)

I'm finding the main difficulty is selling your items quick enough to raise cash to buy. Looks like half of us are stuck on less than £2 at the moment!

I'm considering auctioning off that bundle I bought - minus what I'm keeping and see where we end up. I'll assume it will be less than if I was to sit on them and ask for BIN prices but it could free up funds much quicker and enable me to continue buying. It's a risky strategy but I wonder if it's one that could pay dividends?

That said, we all seem to be doing rather well with the bargains at the moment...

I could do a sale or two tonight as am going car-booting tomorrow. Unless I get lucky, I'm not going to find much for £1.50!
n-g-m

Postby gingerraccoon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:47 pm

I think we’re all doing pretty well ngm, for saying we’re less than a month in too. Much better than I expected anyway.

Luigis mansion is definitely my go to this year for making small profits. Might swap the case but I reckon I can sell that for £23. Running joke at work when I get post, cos that’s probably the 9th or 10th copy I’ve bought this year. I’m a tight sod so gonna sit and wait for an eBay deal for a few weeks at least, play the long game. I reckon I’m close to doubling my money with what stock I’ve got so far. The quick sale small profit approach is very tempting, or taking the full 10% eBay fees hit.
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:30 pm

gingerraccoon wrote:I think we’re all doing pretty well ngm, for saying we’re less than a month in too. Much better than I expected anyway.

Luigis mansion is definitely my go to this year for making small profits. Might swap the case but I reckon I can sell that for £23. Running joke at work when I get post, cos that’s probably the 9th or 10th copy I’ve bought this year. I’m a tight sod so gonna sit and wait for an eBay deal for a few weeks at least, play the long game. I reckon I’m close to doubling my money with what stock I’ve got so far. The quick sale small profit approach is very tempting, or taking the full 10% eBay fees hit.

I agree we are all doing well so far and it's good to see :)

I reckon you're about bang on with a double up on the two games you have - I reckon somewhere between £45-50 after fees possibly?

I said could n-g-m manage to spend his last £1.50 and get anything the other day? Well here is the answer...

They cost 50p each and I'm now officially spent up and have nothing in my budget until I sell some of those items!
n-g-m

Postby MysterionMunky » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:46 am

Brilliant to see everyone's pick-ups this week! I definitely agree that the challenge is going well for us all :D Unfortunately I also echo n-g-m's sentiments that the hardest part of this challenge is raising the cash back from pick-ups quick enough haha!

Been a relatively slow week for myself however I have thankfully managed to sell some of the games. Metroid 2 (GB) sold putting £10.00 back into my budget alongside Super Smash Bros and Mario Party for a combined £40.00.

So as it stands I have £50.50 in the budget and just Mario Golf (GC) left to sell. Hoping I can spend my budget next week on a decent pick-up :mrgreen:
MysterionMunky

Postby n-g-m » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Hooly555 wrote:Wow n-g-m Good haul for only 13.50. I haven't played destruction derby for years. If I remember correctly I wasn't 100% struck by it.
What do think about it?

Thanks mate :)

I played it for about 20 minutes after getting it and I'm absolutely useless at it! The controls seemed quite clunky but that's not an excuse. It's now definitely in the selling pile to stay. I've put it with DD1 which I acquired yesterday for 50p and chancing the two of them at £15. I'll give it a week or so and might change strategy if there's no interest. I am now totally broke for the challenge and need to sell!!!

@MysterionMunky

You're achievements have been updated. I must say you are doing rather well, and in my opinion, have the best stash of games and cash to date. However, the challenge is still young and we are all part of the chasing pack...
n-g-m

Postby wappersha » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Sold the Lego Switch game locally for £15 so i'm £10 up on that.

Haven't' sold the card game, ngm, looks like i'll probably keep it haha.
wappersha

Postby Dury » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:25 pm

Sold Mario party 4 and Pokemon collosuem for £10
Switched the Mario kart game and instructions into the silver case I bought in the bundle and sold for £19
Adventure time, pokémon & GC.
Dury

Postby n-g-m » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Dury wrote:Sold Mario party 4 and Pokemon collosuem for £10
Switched the Mario kart game and instructions into the silver case I bought in the bundle and sold for £19

Did you mean £10 each or both games for £10 altogether mate?
n-g-m

Postby n-g-m » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I've added £29 to your cash total so far Dury, but if it's wrong and I should've added another £10 because you sold each game for £10 and not both for £10 I will change it ;)

I have had a welcome sale to give me some money to now spend. Street Fighter Ex3 went on eBay for £10 so after fees and postage I cleared £7.50 so that's what I have left to spend now for this challenge.

It's a shame I was broke as I picked up some nice bargains this last week or so like MGS on PS1 for 50p :lol: However, they went as part of my own challenge blog so all wasn't lost...
n-g-m

Postby MysterionMunky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am

Finally another pick-up to report! And arguably my best yet :D

To make this sale possible I had to quickly sell my last remaining game - Mario Golf. Sold it through Facebook for £7.50 gifted + post so that put £7.50 straight back into my budget.

Now for the pick-up! Spotted this on Shpock for £12 however I knew that to beat off all the competition I would have to be willing to pay more than that. I offered £55 and the seller thankfully accepted that. When I went to pick it up she said she was initially hoping to get £10 for it :lol:

Into the collection: Jungle Green N64 + Controller, Super DropZone (SNES)

To Sell: Super Mario 64, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Bomberman, Mario Paint, Vegas Stakes, Donkey Kong Country

I already own the six games to sell so i'm hoping their sales will get me back up to around the £50 mark!
MysterionMunky

Postby n-g-m » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:43 pm

MysterionMunky wrote:Finally another pick-up to report! And arguably my best yet :D

To make this sale possible I had to quickly sell my last remaining game - Mario Golf. Sold it through Facebook for £7.50 gifted + post so that put £7.50 straight back into my budget.

Now for the pick-up! Spotted this on Shpock for £12 however I knew that to beat off all the competition I would have to be willing to pay more than that. I offered £55 and the seller thankfully accepted that. When I went to pick it up she said she was initially hoping to get £10 for it :lol:

To Sell: Super Mario 64, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Bomberman, Mario Paint, Vegas Stakes, Donkey Kong Country

I already own the six games to sell so i'm hoping their sales will get me back up to around the £50 mark!

Wow! You keep on getting these great bundles mate - well done! You're making me very green :mrgreen:

All updated.
n-g-m

Postby Bosshogg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:07 pm

MysterionMunky wrote:Finally another pick-up to report! And arguably my best yet :D

Hoping this doesn't count as hijacking the thread (which i'm following, an interesting read) or break the rules of the challenge but if you are looking to sell the Bomberman cart at a reasonable price please let me know. I bought a SNES Hudsonsoft multitap for the grand total of £2 and this is the ideal game to test it with - looking at the multitap price on eBay maybe I should have entered the Gamestash Challenge :P
Bosshogg

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Gaming