Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

CEX now selling retro games- the true death of Car Boots?

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

CEX now selling retro games- the true death of Car Boots?

Postby Tedward » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:21 am

So yeah, this has been already mentioned, but CEX have started selling retro games for the past few months, and yeah, it was pretty damn bad news. Luckily, until recently, there was no CEX where I live. One did open though last month, and since it has opened up, there have been almost 0 games at the car boots and charity shops- not even stuff like EA sports games. I was then disgusted to find out from a person at the till after buying a NES joystick that employees from CEX have been buying up literally any games they see at car boots, charity shops, and if there are bargains, gumtree and preloved. Even worse, I have a few long distance friends who confirmed the situation is the same in their neck of the woods. I'm uttlerly speechless at this- CEX are cornering the market entirely. Retro game shops can kiss their sweet ass goodbye to any money. And while they aren't stocking all retro systems, as their website shows, I'm certain that soon they'll be taking in anything, as since they started selling them, NES and Game Boy Advance have been added. Ebay is pretty much my only option, for now, as who knows, maybe that'll dry up at the rate things are going now.
Tedward

Re: CEX now selling retro games- the true death of Car Boots

Postby KThxsBy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:41 am

I'm not surprised, lizards are everywhere now days buying anything gaming related. I see it every week.

on a plus note it has hindered CeX employees to stop giving penny's to customers who wanted to trade in older stuff that originally the company didn't take. this went on a lot from what I hear.

I have giving up finding anything older than ps1 in the wild, I just import Japanese games now days
Last edited by KThxsBy on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
KThxsBy

Postby bobskie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:42 am

Tedward wrote:So yeah, this has been already mentioned, but CEX have started selling retro games for the past few months, and yeah, it was pretty damn bad news. Luckily, until recently, there was no CEX where I live. One did open though last month, and since it has opened up, there have been almost 0 games at the car boots and charity shops- not even stuff like EA sports games. I was then disgusted to find out from a person at the till after buying a NES joystick that employees from CEX have been buying up literally any games they see at car boots, charity shops, and if there are bargains, gumtree and preloved. Even worse, I have a few long distance friends who confirmed the situation is the same in their neck of the woods. I'm uttlerly speechless at this- CEX are cornering the market entirely. Retro game shops can kiss their sweet ass goodbye to any money. And while they aren't stocking all retro systems, as their website shows, I'm certain that soon they'll be taking in anything, as since they started selling them, NES and Game Boy Advance have been added. Ebay is pretty much my only option, for now, as who knows, maybe that'll dry up at the rate things are going now.

Car boots in my area only usually turn up a few Xbox/ps2/wii games, nothing particularly old. Occasionally I find something really good though and that's what keeps me going back. I don't think this will really change things in my area but it sounds like it's not great where you are.
bobskie

Postby Spasho » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:40 am

It's a good thing CeX is selling retro games again because despite sometimes being overpriced, it's a good way of acquiring them. I.e., buy vouchers and then use them to buy whatever.
Spasho

Postby Neontope » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:53 pm

I've never had much luck at car boots anyway. Last time I was at one a guy was trying to sell a well yellowed DMG Game Boy for £30. Comparing some CEX prices to the eBay going rates and they seem fair for the most part.
Neontope

Postby Spasho » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Neontope wrote:I've never had much luck at car boots anyway. Last time I was at one a guy was trying to sell a well yellowed DMG Game Boy for £30. Comparing some CEX prices to the eBay going rates and they seem fair for the most part.

Agreed. I haven't had much luck with Charity Shops either. Now, while they're a mixed-bag they are for the most part fine so you can get your money back and such.
Spasho

Postby LDman95 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Well this whole thing can be a double-edged sword, having retro games on CeX makes it easier to get retro games, on the other hand, getting the popular games will be VERY HARD to get, which will sadden me the next time I go to a Car Boot sale. But I know of a retro shop that has decent prices depending on what you want, I got a Sega Mega CD for £30 but anything could change at this point.
LDman95

Postby RetroBob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 pm

No, but car boots died years ago, there's nothing but chicken scratch these days, a waste of time.
RetroBob

Postby RadioShadow » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:12 pm

RetroBob wrote:No, but car boots died years ago, there's nothing but chicken scratch these days, a waste of time.

I found a GameCube Freeloader and a Sega Saturn Action Replay 4 in 1 (this one had the parallel port and in the box), both a £1 each. Maybe I got lucky?

Speaking of CEX, I checked the one in Tunbridge Wells - Kent, and they had a few Boxed GBA games for £10 - £15. They had Wario Ware Inc for £10, with the box being in good condition. Can't really complain with that price, since Buy It Nows on ebay are asking for much more. Wish I brought Wario Land 4 for £10 as well (I'm going to regret that, aren't I?).
RadioShadow

Postby Spasho » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:52 am

Months ago I got Wario Land 3 for £3 or £4 from Uxbridge CeX just the cart itself but was worth it.
Spasho

Postby RetroBob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:27 am

RadioShadow wrote:
RetroBob wrote:No, but car boots died years ago, there's nothing but chicken scratch these days, a waste of time.

I found a GameCube Freeloader and a Sega Saturn Action Replay 4 in 1 (this one had the parallel port and in the box), both a £1 each. Maybe I got lucky?

That's lucky? 10+ years ago I used to come away with piles of stuff, people just wanted rid of it.
Last edited by RetroBob on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetroBob

Postby lawbag » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:32 am

Because there are no new old stock of consoles or games being made, and the number of people collecting each month increasing, there has to be a critical mass where there are no new finds, no new games/consoles to buy and all that will happen is the games and consoles will circulate between collectors.
Currently Playing - Half Life - PS2, Wave Race 64
Currently Planning - Retro-Gaming (Console & PC LAN) Every Weekend in August 2016 - Dartford/Kent
Currently Tracking - Sega Saturn Bomberman
My Gaming Blog - http://dartford-gamer.blogspot.co.uk/
lawbag

Postby sluffy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:46 pm

CEX selling retro games is a on balance good thing from a buyers' point of view I reckon. Admittedly it will reduce the number of absolute bargains achieved by under paying bootsale sellers who have no idea of the value- but isn't that ripping the original seller off anyway? And how many of us have time to be trawling round car boots and charity shops, turning up almost nothing most times? CEX have to keep their prices reasonable or they won't sell. They're a business based on turning over stock not selling everything at top price.

Charity shops, at least the majority, will check prices of games on ebay or CEX's website anyway.

Also a local used DVD and retro game shop near me does fine alongside CEX, they just price match or beat them and offer better service and discounts for buying more than one game. They have fewer staff, a cheaper location and no website, which allows them to compete.
sluffy

View Collection: [url=http://www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/users/collection/sl

Postby Dannyhfx » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:10 pm

I know a lad from CEX someone brought in Shenmue and Shenmue 2. He told them they were worthless so the guy just gave it to him, obviously he pocketed it and took them home.
Dannyhfx

Postby Tedward » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:16 pm

RetroBob wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:

That's lucky? 10+ years ago I used to come away with piles of stuff, people just wanted rid of it.

Finding one of those action replay carts for the Saturn for £1 is very lucky these days, considering that they're upwards of £30 these days, and that's for the one without the parallel port, which are much rare than the regular ones.
Tedward

Postby Polygons » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Dannyhfx wrote:I know a lad from CEX someone brought in Shenmue and Shenmue 2. He told them they were worthless so the guy just gave it to him, obviously he pocketed it and took them home.

That just isn't right :'(. But also we're in an age where that can be easily checked too! Doesn't excuse the sliminess on the clerk though.
Polygons

Postby gingerraccoon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:49 am

Haven't seen it noted elsewhere but the inevitable has happened; sega on cex. Megadrive, mega cd and 32x. Prices are even more laughable then their other retro stock (the odd bit I thought was alright priced), but the good news is you can offload all your titles no-one wants for an inflated price leaving them with shelves full of unshiftable dross.
gingerraccoon

Postby Pondis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:18 am

CEX are pretty awful, but as a big corporation its safer to buy from them than eBay because returns are much easier.

Plus for shelf filler games you can pick them up for next to nothing. Some other bits are generally cheaper than eBay BiNs.

Carboots/ charity shops are still worth checking because you can find a bargain or two, but its definitely getting harder.
Pondis

Postby cusser » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:12 pm

When I started collecting,CEX @rathbone place was like heaven. Just around corner game focus. I'd make trips to London just for these two.
Cex then opened up a store in kingston. I remember seeing neo geo aes carts there.
So, I know they are not the same as they used to be, but cex were retro.
Some of the prices are pretty reasonable and it's great to see retro back in shop windows.
Don't be surprised to see them full of fifa boxes soon though and all the decent stuff back on the ridiculous expensive former auction/collector site.

Those that are bothered by steep prices on retro games. Remember it's because there are so many collectors these days and it's a popular thing. So demand goes up and so do prices. In any shop.

As for car boot sales. Sod that. I'm not competing with collectors anymore. Just creepy or thuggish ebay sellers.
cusser

Postby chocklo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:30 pm

cusser wrote:When I started collecting,CEX @rathbone place was like heaven. Just around corner game focus. I'd make trips to London just for these two.

I used to do exactly the same thing. Then round the trip off with a trip to the Troc :D
chocklo

Next

Return to Retro Gaming