Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Michael Jackson's Star Fighter Training

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Re: Michael Jackson's Star Fighter Training

Postby Hero30 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:29 pm

If it is a fake, it would be interesting to see the actual gameplay.. Would it be a hack? And of what game? Or a whole new Mega CD FMV QTE experience. I can just imagine "turn left..turn right Owww! You've crashed.. Who's bad" :lol:
Hero30

Postby T Moleman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Punisher wrote:
shovelthumb wrote:Spoke to my Japanese friend, he said the text is poorly written Japanese and is probably made by Chinese. Appears it is a fake.

aha there you go guys and girls. Just another fake copy!!

I'd still give the OP a chance to respond as you don't really know until they answer questions. They themselves might be the victim of a con and think that the item they paid hundreds for is worth it.

Things to note though, if you've traded on eBay for any length of time (I've been on for about 13 years) you'll recognise certain phrases and word usage.

Yakata wrote:Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I would like to ask for your opinions on an item I recently acquired.
It's a game from Japan from late 1993 or early 1994. It was never released, not in Japan nor elsewhere. The game was cancelled because Michael Jackson was having a lot of trouble with those allegations at the time. Supposedly it was bad publicity for Sega and they cancelled the game plain and simple.
The history I gathered about this project is that it is an extension of a SEGA arcade game that was released in 1992 or 1993, called AS1 Simulator. A bunch of players would sit in a big spaceship simulator and would fly the spacecraft and fight aliens. The cockpit would move around like a real simulator. Jackson was the instructor and people would see him talk to them on the screen and give them instructions.
That game quickly disappeared from game rooms and Sega parks because of the scandal surrounding Jackson at the time.
But the original plan was to expand that concept and collaboration to a regular video game for the SEGA Genesis console. It all went down the drain because of the scandal.
However, the game was actually produced by Sega and was ready for release when it happened.
The copy I have is still sealed.
Still, the person I got it from has a copy and played it. It's a regular flight simulator, with combat, aimed at children, so quite easy. Jackson doesn't sing in the game, he only gives you instructions.
So, having said all that, my question is, what would be the value of such an item ?

Thanks for your comments !

Yakata wrote:Wow, Moleman, way to make me feel welcome !
But I understand where you're coming from. You've never heard of this, so you're suspicious. Michael Jackson would say it's "human nature".

The thing is I'm not a gamer and English isn't even my first language, so when I described the game AS1 as an "arcade" game, that only shows my limited knowledge of adequate vocabulary in this field. I shouldn't have said "arcade game", I should have said "ride". Because that seems to be the appropriate word. But obviously, we're talking about the same thing : the AS1 was indeed a big thing that moved with people in it and some kind of interaction.
I can scan the back of the CD, no problem. However, I would like to avoid opening the plastic wrap unless absolutely necessary.
Is that really suspicious ? Collectors do value a pristine item that is sealed.
Besides, would a picture of the disc really be any proof that this is real? If I was able to Photoshop the box with such realism, I bet I would be able to photoshop the CD inside just as easily, wouldn't I ?
Anyway, since I posted this, I've had some offers, so now I got an idea about value.

Come on OP, wheres the box scans and gameplay footage?
T Moleman

Postby jake74 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:12 pm

I'd call fake on this, for two main reasons.

One, the drop shadow on the obi strip is far too uniform. It's exactly the same raised amount from top to bottom. It shouldn't be raised that much if the disc is sealed.

Two, the rendering of the type on the obi strip is too perfect and clear when zooomed in. Every bit of type, and the icons, sits dead straight on a pixel line. After having scanned 400+ covers for megadrive.me, I know this is next to impossible to achieve!!! You'd also expect to have some 'noise' across the flat areas of colour, picked up by a camera. Look at the MD logo at the bottom, the black/grey has noise in the colour, in fact, the pink/red of the obi strip has noise, but the type does not, you'd expect it in the white area.

And as someone on Twitter has just pointed out, the Katakana dashes haven't been rotated to run vertically, as they should be if it were truly a Japanese original. Thanks Ray Barnholt!

Check this zoomed in pic, so you can see for yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tchg7d6yera27 ... 3.png?dl=0
jake74

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-133.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-133.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/jake74/My-Photos/

Postby skilljim » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Looks fake to me, surely they'd have MJ's name all over the front cover and not just down the OBI strip. Also I don't think the s would be lower case after JACKSON'S <---- just looks out of place. Also I know photos are crisp and clear these days, but to take a photo of a Mega CD case that close, would need very good lighting to not reflect anything, MJ looks too crisp like it was copy and pasted and photo shopped.

I hope it's real though cause i'm a massive MJ fan :D
skilljim

Postby sjgidman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:00 am

you say your friend has a xopy any chance of an upload so we can have a look also more pics would be useful
sjgidman

Postby Noobsaibot21 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Isn't that MJ's '2001 nose' though?

As others have mentioned, I feel more pics are needed or else it should be dismissed as a fake.

On a similar MJ related note, was that Sonic 3 Michael Jackson soundtrack ever found? That'd be something I'd love to hear.
Noobsaibot21

Postby shovelthumb » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:54 pm

It's a fake as i posted before. Can we lock the thread. If the op comes back with something he can tell a mod beforehand and stop the goose chase! :shock:
Supporting my good friend NukoNuko - check out his stuff!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/nukonuko/m.html
https://twitter.com/NukoNukoGames

shovelthumb

Postby T Moleman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:35 pm

GMass wrote:Tbh it looks so fake I'm surrorised about the level of interest really.

The 1st post is very baiting, half truths, vague descriptions, trust me I've seen it running in a mates system... but i conveniently didn't capture any footage...

It's the sort of selling tactic you see on eBay all the time, especially with game bundles.

In the 2nd post they say they've already received offers which i find impossible to believe, that coupled with them not uploading any other scans despite numerous requests really takes away any remaining credibility.
T Moleman

Postby flatapex » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:52 am

T Moleman wrote:In the 2nd post they say they've already received offers which i find impossible to believe, that coupled with them not uploading any other scans despite numerous requests really takes away any remaining credibility.

i wouldnt be surprised if there really were offers from within the mj fan community, they will bid on anything with even the slightest possibility of an mj connection.

'here is a 2p coin, many people have used it, possibly even mj himself (even though it is dated 2 years after his death, he may have used one like it)
Currently playing:
XB1: Forza Horizon 3, Forza 7(completed), Project Cars 2

PSP: Test Drive Unlimited
flatapex

Postby BuckoA51 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:38 am

Hold up guys, could this be in-game footage of the Starfighter take-off? https://youtu.be/b5UgOGNhGCA
Play your retro PC games on your new rig - http://www.play-old-pc-games.com
Videogames are beautiful, play them that way! - http://www.videogameperfection.com/

BuckoA51

Postby KThxsBy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Noobsaibot21 wrote:Isn't that MJ's '2001 nose' though?
:lol: quote of the year.

Hold up guys, could this be in-game footage of the Starfighter take-off? https://youtu.be/b5UgOGNhGCA

Chamone.. lol
KThxsBy

Postby djsteph974 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:14 pm

I have in my possession a Chuck Norris version.

Discover my Gamer's life !!!

djsteph974

Postby Loch and Quay » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Chuck Norris doesn't get wet, water gets Chuck Norris.
Loch and Quay

Postby Flozem » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:37 am

Ooh.... Sent you an offer. Love Chuck Norris... :mrgreen:
Flozem

Collection Stats: www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/ ... ics/Flozem

Postby Don » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:15 am

Probably a fake.
This is a real game though, known for years by hardcore MJ collectors.
A demo disc exists (see link below). No back cover on the case, just a single card on the front with a teaser line.
A commercial version of the game like the one presented, sealed with strip and all looks peculiar. Could be made from the demo disc.
The demo features just parts of the game, not the complete game. Looks like a 16-bit Galaxian Rising of gourb. It's a FPS, not a simulator. MJ does appear in the game as an instructor and talks throughout while you're playing. There's some soundtrack but doesn't sound like MJ.
I won't post ingame footage so don't ask. I'm kind enough to shed light on this as it is :twisted:
http://imageshack.com/a/img903/4137/DGOLCR.jpg
Don

Postby Punisher » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:06 am

Why not??, seems a bit suspect!!
Punisher

Postby Don » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:36 am

You'd be surprised how many unreleased MJ songs are in the hands of serious collectors. Some leak but most don't. Because it takes a lot of efforts and money to get them. People would want us to share for free ! You obviously have no idea how hard it is to get your hands on this kind of stuff.
Don

Postby BuckoA51 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:42 am

That kinda sucks, I'd love to hear some of his unreleased songs. I suppose it's the same when someone has an unreleased game you always hope they will dump it but they don't always.
Play your retro PC games on your new rig - http://www.play-old-pc-games.com
Videogames are beautiful, play them that way! - http://www.videogameperfection.com/

BuckoA51

Postby Schlibbylibby » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:10 pm

These people are called dickheads.
Schlibbylibby

Postby L___E___T » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Don wrote:Probably a fake.
This is a real game though, known for years by hardcore MJ collectors.
A demo disc exists (see link below). No back cover on the case, just a single card on the front with a teaser line.
A commercial version of the game like the one presented, sealed with strip and all looks peculiar. Could be made from the demo disc.
The demo features just parts of the game, not the complete game. Looks like a 16-bit Galaxian Rising of gourb. It's a FPS, not a simulator. MJ does appear in the game as an instructor and talks throughout while you're playing. There's some soundtrack but doesn't sound like MJ.
I won't post ingame footage so don't ask. I'm kind enough to shed light on this as it is :twisted:
http://imageshack.com/a/img903/4137/DGOLCR.jpg

Nope - still fake.
You don't have this disc because it doesn't exist. Why do you bother coming in to this thread to embarrass yourself?

Notice how a quick cut and paste into PS shows that all the text is still added on top - perfectly aligned on a row of pixels.
Click the image and view full size to see how obvious it is...

Also look at that bottom thumb print - notice it's all cut and pasted collage to make it look legit? Nice try, but this is really amateur.
Again, click the image and view full size to see how obvious it is...

Other giveaways - true demo discs for Mega CD tend to say 'DEMO DISC' or 'DEMO CD'. Nobody uses the term 'demonstration disc' - I've never seen that used anywhere. Also, a true proto / demo of a game that was cancelled before finished wouldn't look like that - it would have been a standard burned test disc if it was cancelled before being finished. Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail is a good analogy with the humble grail.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mega+ ... D6If7MM%3A

What's more - a demo disc like your proposed photo would mean that the game was finished. These discs were prepared and handed out to press - to play the game, get some impressions and ultimately write about them in magazines and what not. Had this been the case - you'd have seen at least SOMETHING written up for this game, not the complete lack of information or magazine scans we are looking at here.

So you are proposing that SEGA worked on a game - finished that game, made demo discs and even thousands of retail discs (but didn't do anything with them) - so that no-one in the press, trade, or public has seen this other than a couple new members with beginner photoshop skills? Please.

I wouldn't normally call you out like this so strongly, especially with my first post but I had to chime in in case some poor fool had genuinely made an offer. I also know the old European MD of SEGA, he'd never heard of it either.
L___E___T

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Gaming