Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

LAKERS VS CELTICS PAL (HOW MANY COPIES NOW?)

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

LAKERS VS CELTICS PAL (HOW MANY COPIES NOW?)

Postby Punisher » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:42 pm

I have always kept a close eye on how many copies have been circulating of this game since I can remember. I personally think there are between 10-13 copies now.

Not sure whether people have finally started copying them or they have just been found.

We are closer to finding out how many of these actually exist (exact number apparently). Also finding the reason why there was such a small amount of these games out there.

Be interesting to know who owns them now.

1- Glenn Edwards (bought from Punisher 31/08/18)
2- Gunstarhero
3- Sp1nzoK
4- Glenn Edwards (bought from Adam Hoare ).
5- Manashack (mint condition copy)
6- Someone in Australia (probably gamer, could be same copy as Damiens).
7- Paul (lifelonghobbies Ebay name). MrBads retrocollect. Bought from tbbtb60.
8- Someone in Spain (needs confirmation)
9- A friend in Berlin (I have legitimate proof)
10- Kingdomofcarts
11- Matt Bonney (new copy located).
12- Vincent Gorman - found in a bundle on eBay. (Moltavia on Retrocollect).
13- damien_camilleri - Australia (bought from a collector in Australia)

Il do my research to find the others, but does anyone else know??
Last edited by Punisher on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:27 am, edited 18 times in total.
Punisher

Re: LAKERS VS CELTICS PAL (HOW MANY COPIES NOW?)

Postby flatapex » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:45 pm

there is apparently one guy who wishes to remain anonymous.

who bought the copy off mr wistles?
Currently playing:
XB1: Forza Horizon 3, Forza 7(completed), Project Cars 2

PSP: Test Drive Unlimited
flatapex

Postby Punisher » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:14 pm

flatapex wrote:there is apparently one guy who wishes to remain anonymous.

who bought the copy off mr wistles?

Thats either the guy in oz or Sp1noz
Punisher

Postby sp1nzoK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Yes, my copy is from mr_wistles.

My knowledge was this when I bought it:

gunstarhero
mr_wistles (I bought it)
Punisher
Someone in Spain (mentioned by mr_wistles)
Someone in Australia (mentioned by mr_wistles)
Someone that contacted mr_wistles on eBay

After that I've seen 2 copies sell on eBay, 1-2 are for sale now? and mana-shack has one for himself.

So some of these are maybe re-distributed same copies or each one is unique. So maybe 10-12 tops. 6-9 for certain. I'm talking CIB, I've seen one boxed one sell too.
sp1nzoK

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -2648.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Members-Gam ... on-Photos/

Postby Flozem » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Starting to feel it is not as rare as people made it out to be. Lots of attention makes people aware and generates more supply online of a game many others probably never thought was worth even listing. :roll:
Flozem

Collection Stats: www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/ ... ics/Flozem

Postby kinogomes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Flozem wrote:Starting to feel it is not as rare as people made it out to be. Lots of attention makes people aware and generates more supply online of a game many others probably never thought was worth even listing. :roll:

The game its extremely rare for sure, for sure the rarest PAL game for mega drive.
Its not like there are going to appear hundreds of copys of the game.
kinogomes

Postby Punisher » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:36 am

Its still ridiculously rare. I just hope no one starts copying and mass producing them.

So we are looking at around 9 copies now. A lot of them seem to be coming from France.
Punisher

Postby hydr0x » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:46 am

Punisher wrote:Its still ridiculously rare. I just hope no one starts copying and mass producing them.

So we are looking at around 9 copies now. A lot of them seem to be coming from France.

That's already 3-4 times as many CIB copies then as some other ER games in our database ;)
hydr0x
Site Admin

Postby Schlibbylibby » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:51 pm

hydr0x wrote:
Punisher wrote:Its still ridiculously rare. I just hope no one starts copying and mass producing them.

That's already 3-4 times as many CIB copies then as some other ER games in our database ;)

What games spring to mind Hydr0x?
Schlibbylibby

Postby T Moleman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Why? I'm against repro/piracy when the games are available at a reasonable price but in a case like this I'd support it.
T Moleman

Postby kinogomes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:48 pm

T Moleman wrote:

Why? I'm against repro/piracy when the games are available at a reasonable price but in a case like this I'd support it.

We should be always against piracy, always. If somebody wants to play the game its easy to do with the emulators.
Piracy its the main most people dont trust ebay sellers.
kinogomes

Postby Punisher » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:54 pm

Im massively against piracy, it ruins collecting in my opinion. Imagine you bought a game and it turned up and it was a bootleg. I have had it happen to me and it really pissed me off. I had to then go down the route of getting my money back as the seller said it was 110% genuine!!.
Punisher

Postby Punisher » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:55 pm

hydr0x wrote:

Id like to know as well, The only one I can think of is WCS2. There are thousands of all the other games that are ER

Also Hydrox can you make WCS2 ER please. Thanks
Punisher

Postby Schlibbylibby » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Punisher wrote:Im massively against piracy, it ruins collecting in my opinion. Imagine you bought a game and it turned up and it was a bootleg. I have had it happen to me and it really pissed me off. I had to then go down the route of getting my money back as the seller said it was 110% genuine!!.

Plus, isnt the cartridge really common? So if you wanted to play the game you can easily.
Schlibbylibby

Postby flatapex » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:45 pm

Cart is easy to import. Got one myself. And it is identical to the boxed rare one
Currently playing:

flatapex

Postby Darkstalker90 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:52 pm

T Moleman wrote:

Because repros will just be made to look 'aged' and passed off as originals? It would be nice if all repros were innocently listed as such but we know for a solid gold fact that scammers would love to flog repros of this one at high prices. It's already happened with games like Wily Wars and The Punisher and I can see why collectors are so against it. As far I am aware, the pirates haven't done the same en masse with LvC yet because they haven't obtained the EU manual to reproduce for CIB repros.

Another reason that springs to mind is this: if you are a full set CIB collector, you're likely going to want the real thing or else what is the point? Anybody interested in playing the game itself can just buy a loose cartridge.
Darkstalker90

Postby flatapex » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Punisher wrote:
hydr0x wrote:

Id like to know as well, The only one I can think of is WCS2. There are thousands of all the other games that are ER

Also Hydrox can you make WCS2 ER please. Thanks

wcs2 is only in the er category for the blue box variant, if we did that for everything wouldnt things like air rescue on the master system be er because there is a different cover variant known with only 1 confirmed copy?
Currently playing:

flatapex

Postby gunstarhero » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:18 pm

flatapex wrote:wcs2 is only in the er category for the blue box variant, if we did that for everything wouldnt things like air rescue on the master system be er because there is a different cover variant known with only 1 confirmed copy?

Agree totally, WCS2 blue box is only a variant. The main release was the Classics version that is relatively easy to find. There are far too many variants out there for many thousands of games that it would be an almost impossible task to log each variant by rarity. With regards to Lakers Vs. Celtics, there is only one PAL variant known and there are less than 10 copies known to exist despite some of the biggest Mega Drive collectors joining many other gamers around the world looking to find one over the last 10-12 years. Until I posted a picture of my copy here on eBay 1486 days ago (as I write this), every Mega Drive collectors site and forum had just about come to accept that this game didn't exist. It's nice to see (an albeit limited few) Mega Drive collectors managing to find ones in the last 4 and half years since the first one was shown here, but given how few have tuned up despite many, many people looking for it, the game easily fits the Retro Collect criteria of what constitutes an Extremely Rare game.
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby Schlibbylibby » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Sorry to sidetrack a little here, but something I've wondered. Is the US extremely rare NES game stadium events more or less rare than the extremely rare PAL B games phantom air mission, snowboard challenge and even pro-am 2?

The amount Americans go on about stadium events online you would think its rarer but I reckon the PAL Bs have it beat
Schlibbylibby

Postby Punisher » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:20 pm

@ Flatapex:- Yes but that is the original game. The other version is a classic version which is in effect a variant of the original.
Punisher

Next

Return to Retro Gaming