Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

The Retro Challenge

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:29 pm

n-g-m wrote:Hi all,

I'm currently in the Netherlands for a week or so and don't have any access to gaming machines - do'h! Therefore I propose to extend the deadline on all current challenges - including the one that was supposed to end last Sunday - for another two weeks.

If that sounds ok, I won't post a new one for two weeks until back in the UK.


Fair enough..ill keep em peeled! Enjoy NL
Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:21 pm

So just to clarify on live challenges and end dates...

1. Marble Madness - ends 11.8.19
2. Kung Fu - ends 18.8.19
3. Contra / Probotector - ends 25.8.19
4. TMHT - ends 1.9.19

So plenty of time to keep those scores coming.

Next challenge will start when Marble Madness ends and I post up the next set of details.
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:25 am

https://www.dizinpix.com/image/fPx0N

Latest Marble Madness score 18990 x24 = 455,760 / 1000 =455,76 rounded up =456.
Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Update...

Marble Madness:
1. cs4mps: 497
2. The Saint: 456
3. n-g-m: 455

Kung Fu:
1. The Saint 37300
2. n-g-m: 27480

Probotector/Contra:
1. n-g-m: 15200

TMHT:
1. n-g-m: 5423

3 different contestants in the gold medal places thus far...

Marble Madness now ends this Sunday. If you're wondering why, scroll down to find out...
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 am

So Marble Madness is now finally done!

Marble Madness:
Image
1. cs4mps: 497

Image
2. The Saint: 456

Image
3. n-g-m: 455

cs4mps, you are the RETRO CHAMPION OF THE WEEK!!!

Yearly...

1: cs4mps - 45 pts
2: n-g-m - 33 pts
3: Fierybirdything - 29 pts
4: Lord Innit - 24 pts
5: The Saint - 9 pts
6: Travesty - 3 pts
7: rollerxcore - 2 pts
8: gingerraccoon - ? pts (awaiting confirmation of Sm64 screenshot)

New challenge details to follow later this evening once I've had a play around ;)
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am

So I lied about getting a challenge sorted for Monday evening! :lol:

Anyway, here it is...

Bart vs Space Mutants.

Clear level 1
Divide your score by time left on the clock. You may need to be quick here though.
Round to nearest whole number.
Any format.
You are allowed to use a maximum of TWO lives - due to the length and difficulty of the level. However, if you are confident in your abilities, you can use this extra life tactically...

I'm planning on the pinball one soon but only have Kirbys Pinball Land in my collection unless anyone can point me in the direction of emulators.
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby JeepSwensonfan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm

n-g-m wrote:I'm planning on the pinball one soon but only have Kirbys Pinball Land in my collection unless anyone can point me in the direction of emulators.


Pinbot on the NES.

Used to play it all the time at my brothers, well into 3am.
User avatar
JeepSwensonfan
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:38 pm

n-g-m wrote:So I lied about getting a challenge sorted for Monday evening! :lol:

Anyway, here it is...

Bart vs Space Mutants.

Clear level 1
Divide your score by time left on the clock. You may need to be quick here though.
Round to nearest whole number.
Any format.
You are allowed to use a maximum of TWO lives - due to the length and difficulty of the level. However, if you are confident in your abilities, you can use this extra life tactically...

I'm planning on the pinball one soon but only have Kirbys Pinball Land in my collection unless anyone can point me in the direction of emulators.


I'll see if I can get a cheap one as I don't own this just now.

Pinball wise I vote Devils Crash. It's on MD and PCE and would be on a lot of the MD emulators
Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:17 pm

The Saint wrote:
I'll see if I can get a cheap one as I don't own this just now.

Pinball wise I vote Devils Crash. It's on MD and PCE and would be on a lot of the MD emulators


I've just had a quick look on eBay and there are buy it nows for £5-7 if that's any good mate.
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Kung Fu is done and here's how it finished...

Kung Fu:
1. The Saint 37300
2. n-g-m: 27480

So The Saint congratulations you are the RETRO CHAMPION OF THE WEEK!!!!

Image
The Saint 3 pts

Image
n-g-m 2 pts

1: cs4mps - 45 pts
2: n-g-m - 35 pts
3: Fierybirdything - 29 pts
4: Lord Innit - 24 pts
5: The Saint - 12 pts
6: Travesty - 3 pts
7: rollerxcore - 2 pts
8: gingerraccoon - ? pts (awaiting confirmation of Sm64 screenshot)

new challenge is about to follow...
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:34 pm

So the next challenge is a long awaited pinball challenge but I've decided to mix it up a bit.

This challenge will be a simple high score challenge but we will have multiple games to choose from. We will have separate leader boards for each one with a bonus point thrown into the mix for the challenger(s) who enter(s) the most different games.

You can choose from any of the following games:

1. Devils Crush / Crash (Multi Plat)
2. Kirby's Pinball Land (GB)
3. Pinbot (NES)

So there will be 3 leader boards here and +1 bonus point to the person who appears in the most of them. If a player takes part in all three they will get another +1 bonus point! So you could get 2 points just for posting crap scores on all three :lol:

There is potentially 11 points up for grabs here if you can win all three games so let's get going! Challenge ends 15th September at the usual time.

Good Luck!
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:38 pm

n-g-m wrote:So the next challenge is a long awaited pinball challenge but I've decided to mix it up a bit.

This challenge will be a simple high score challenge but we will have multiple games to choose from. We will have separate leader boards for each one with a bonus point thrown into the mix for the challenger(s) who enter(s) the most different games.

You can choose from any of the following games:

1. Devils Crush / Crash (Multi Plat)
2. Kirby's Pinball Land (GB)
3. Pinbot (NES)

So there will be 3 leader boards here and +1 bonus point to the person who appears in the most of them. If a player takes part in all three they will get another +1 bonus point! So you could get 2 points just for posting crap scores on all three :lol:

There is potentially 11 points up for grabs here if you can win all three games so let's get going! Challenge ends 15th September at the usual time.

Good Luck!


Fantastic. However is it again a one life score?
Also the PAL release of Devils Crash was Dragons Fury in case people were unaware.
Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm

n-g-m wrote:Kung Fu is done and here's how it finished...

Kung Fu:
1. The Saint 37300
2. n-g-m: 27480

So The Saint congratulations you are the RETRO CHAMPION OF THE WEEK!!!!

Image
The Saint 3 pts

Image
n-g-m 2 pts

1: cs4mps - 45 pts
2: n-g-m - 35 pts
3: Fierybirdything - 29 pts
4: Lord Innit - 24 pts
5: The Saint - 12 pts
6: Travesty - 3 pts
7: rollerxcore - 2 pts
8: gingerraccoon - ? pts (awaiting confirmation of Sm64 screenshot)

new challenge is about to follow...


First time fir everything! Double fugues now. Halfway to catching LI....

Kung Fu was a favourite of mine and I finished it last year. Great challenge though, I learned new things playing this challenge..
Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 am

The Saint wrote:Fantastic. However is it again a one life score?
Also the PAL release of Devils Crash was Dragons Fury in case people were unaware.


I actually didn't think about this to be honest. It can go on a long time if you use all 3 or how ever many balls you have so let's keep it short and snappy and go for 1 ball only.

When playing Kung Fu did you know about the bonus 5000 pts for killing each twelfth enemy? (except knife throwers etc...)

I found it out by re-reading my Club Nintendo Classic magazine from 1990 :lol:
Image
User avatar
n-g-m
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm

n-g-m wrote:
The Saint wrote:Fantastic. However is it again a one life score?
Also the PAL release of Devils Crash was Dragons Fury in case people were unaware.


I actually didn't think about this to be honest. It can go on a long time if you use all 3 or how ever many balls you have so let's keep it short and snappy and go for 1 ball only.

When playing Kung Fu did you know about the bonus 5000 pts for killing each twelfth enemy? (except knife throwers etc...)

I found it out by re-reading my Club Nintendo Classic magazine from 1990 :lol:


I did know about it but found it by accident. On my first few runs I was playing about to see the biggest reward vs risk. I realised after the first section of you go left you get 11 goons before the first knife thrower comes along. So by going back to the right you can get another goon in making it 12, so I aimed to get 3-4 lots of the bonus in before getting to the end.
Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby The Saint » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:24 pm

n-g-m wrote:
The Saint wrote:Fantastic. However is it again a one life score?
Also the PAL release of Devils Crash was Dragons Fury in case people were unaware.


I actually didn't think about this to be honest. It can go on a long time if you use all 3 or how ever many balls you have so let's keep it short and snappy and go for 1 ball only.

When playing Kung Fu did you know about the bonus 5000 pts for killing each twelfth enemy? (except knife throwers etc...)

I found it out by re-reading my Club Nintendo Classic magazine from 1990 :lol:


My longest game is about 20 hours. Did I finish it? Nope... :D
Image

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: The Retro Challenge

Postby fierybirdything » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:09 pm

It's been a while, hasn't it? Anyway, thought I'd get my foot in the door regarding the new pinball challenge, specifically Devil's Crush...

Devil's Crush one-ball score (Wii VC) - 1336300

This could be the excuse I need to play this game more.

EDIT: Update. New score.

Devil's Crush one-ball score (Wii VC) - 2211400
User avatar
fierybirdything
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:02 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/3

Previous

Return to Retro Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests