Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Your thoughts on supposed "rare" games

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Re: Your thoughts on supposed "rare" games

Postby Schlibbylibby » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:16 am

Bee wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Bee wrote:Everyone is free to collect how they want

that's it! fullstop. When I want to collect all trip worlds over the world, it's my own right to do so. that's also a way of collecting

It may be your right to do so, but I don’t think you’re going to make many friends in the collecting world by hoarding as many copies of a rare game as you can
Schlibbylibby

Postby The Saint » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Bee wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Bee wrote:Everyone is free to collect how they want

that's it! fullstop. When I want to collect all trip worlds over the world, it's my own right to do so. that's also a way of collecting

Very easy to use a quote for your own ends.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with anyone collecting variants - that's a thing. Some people like PAL, FRA,AUS,NTSCU etc. That's fine - that's a way to collect and No one should have an issue with that.

But hoarding multiple copies from the same region to have some put in VGA cases to sell at stupidly high prices to protect any perceived 'investment' and to deny others the enjoyment by you owning 8 copies or whatever is a dick move and completely disgraceful. I'll not change my mind either as there is no excuse for it.

So expect to be called out for it.

Currently Playing (November 2018):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Tenchu Stealth Assassins

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
The Saint

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Postby ewjim » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:07 am

His games aren't rare - he's got loads of em!
ewjim

For the love of GOD these are NOT rare games!!

Postby iconoclast12 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm

What is the deal with the insanity I'm seeing in the gaming community the past few years?

That's what it is... Absolute insanity.

I don't care what anyone says, games like Resident Evil and Castlevania SoTN ARE NOT RARE GAMES!!!

Why are the prices of these games so high? Why are people charging over $60 for Resident Evil and close to $100 for SoTN?

It makes absolutely no sense!

These games are just two examples, but they were both part of the million + seller crowd of games, and they have greatest hits versions, which means THEY ARE NOT RARE.

If there were over a million copies of something released, I'm sorry, but it's not rare nor valuable and should therefore not be sold for so much.

Thank you.
iconoclast12

Postby Jack_Neuro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Wanted to get God Hand for my ps2.
Found one for silly money. I think it was 85 quid, might have been 65...can't recall off the top of my head.
I went off the idea sharp when slapped in the face with that.

Maybe the whims and vagaries of car booties and charity shop raids will turn a kind eye to my desires but in the mean time i have many games to play and would rather raid in bulk if i'm going to a store.
As my collections grow i dare say i will find hard picks more compelling and I already get that kinda price a lot with Saturn games.
Might buckle first for a copy of Guardian Heroes or Virtual On.

*5c goes plink!*
Jack_Neuro

Postby n-g-m » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Jack_Neuro wrote:Wanted to get God Hand for my ps2.
Found one for silly money. I think it was 85 quid, might have been 65...can't recall off the top of my head.
I went off the idea sharp when slapped in the face with that.

Maybe the whims and vagaries of car booties and charity shop raids will turn a kind eye to my desires but in the mean time i have many games to play and would rather raid in bulk if i'm going to a store.
As my collections grow i dare say i will find hard picks more compelling and I already get that kinda price a lot with Saturn games.
Might buckle first for a copy of Guardian Heroes or Virtual On.

*5c goes plink!*

Good luck when the car-boots start mate. I'm looking forward to them when they do too...

However, in my recent experiences, the chances of finding hidden gems there are very rare indeed. Unless you're there as soon as it opens and can get in against the crowds of dealers all swapping every new car as the open up, you'll probably not have much look getting those desirables. That said, the dealers tend to overlook the obscure rares as they tend to (in general) not be a knowledgeable as a collector. So you might get lucky there. If that happens, it's more likely to be Xbox and PS2 as there's so many games released for them. The only Nintendo stuff I see is either on a dealers store or stupid prices as the people have "looked on eBay" when what they really mean is the looked at the highest stupid BIN price that the game is listed for (not sold listings).

Nearly two years ago, when I started that collection challenge thread of mine, I changed tactics somewhat though. I decided to look for other treasure at car-boots that I could easily source cheap. I found I could source lots of board games and toys cheaply that could be sold on for profit. I researched some beforehand but I found it much more interesting and enjoyable when hunting around looking for that item that "looked like a rare/expensive gem" without knowing. I found that most of the time, my gut instinct wasn't bad ;)

I then use the profit from whatever I pick up to fund my collection. I've been doing this since April 2017 and I have amazed myself with what I've managed to get and how much it all cost me!

Good luck and happy hunting mate :)
n-g-m

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Previous

Return to Retro Gaming