Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Retrocollect Gamestash Challenge

All discussions regarding classic/retro games belong in here.
No matter which console or system, it's a welcome discussion.

Re: Retrocollect Gamestash Challenge

Postby n-g-m » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:01 pm

gingerraccoon wrote:lol, i'm not taking the mick ngm, i promise, but got another update:

So i had £17.86 in the kitty, and f zero sold and got posted yesterday, leaving me with £15.40 after fees, so a total of £33.26

Then came the scene which played out like a, probably deleted, scene from Indiana Jones; I'd been on the look out for MGS twin snakes for quite a long time, I'd bought one for the obscenely cheap price of £30 a few months ago, only to be strung out by the ebay seller when he realised he'd undervalued and eventually refunded. After the prices seemed to be going up and up, caved in and negotiated a nice copy for £40 a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, yesterday i see a complete copy come up for £35 BIN and i think "aww what might have been". Settle down with t'other half to watch ready player one (very good, with lots of cool references) and just check FB as the credits start. See someone mention 10% off ebay, flick to hot uk deals, there it is. Ends at 8pm, it's 7:55pm, go to ebay, somehow the games still there. Hand. Snapped. Off. Soooo very long story short, got MGS twin snakes for £31.49 on its way. Smash bros has just gone live on ebay too. So to summarise...

Gingerraccoon:
Games added: Crash Bandicoot XS (GBA), Yoshis Story (N64)
Cash available: £1.77
Items to sell: Smash Bros Melee (GC), MGS Twin Snakes (GC)

I love the way you make my job easy :lol:

I watched Player 1 a couple of months ago too and it was pretty good with a lot of hidden eggs.
n-g-m

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Postby gingerraccoon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Been busy ferreting away as ever...

Sold smash bros i think the same day i last posted, bringing in £21.68 after fees etc.which left me with £23.45. With that i bought 3 tomb raider strategy guides off ebay but pickup next to my work for £3 total, a genuine kirbys knightmare in dreamland for gba for £7, all to keep. And bought another smash bros for a stonking £11.40, off ebay again. Will post pics next time round but leaves me like this...

Gingerraccoon:
Games added: Crash Bandicoot XS (GBA), Yoshis Story (N64), Kirbys Knightmare in Dreamland (GBA), Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3 walkthroughs
Cash available: £2.05
Items to sell: Smash Bros Melee (GC), MGS Twin Snakes (GC)

Out of morbid curiosity looked it up and that lot would cost me £126 at cex, and that doesn't include crash or the guides. Not bad. Now waiting for another ebay offer.
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:03 am

All updated now.

So we are pretty much at the halfway stage with 3 months gone and 3 months left. There's some nice stashes developing everyone!

Lets see what Q4 brings :D
n-g-m

Postby gingerraccoon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Me again. So it was an ebay £1 FVF weekend again so all my stuff went up and smash bros sold in a record 12 minutes!!

With my remaining £2.05 last week i bought a disc only copy of Hogs of War (ps1) off a facebook group for a whopping £1.97, leaving me with coppers, but, as mentioned, smash bros went leaving me with £21.55, so total £21.63. This has either been already used for a steal on gumtree. Or i've gotta wait for paypal to eventually reclaim as i've been scammed lol. Oh and I put the wrong tomb raider guides. so...

Gingerraccoon:
Games added: Crash Bandicoot XS (GBA), Yoshis Story (N64), Kirbys Knightmare in Dreamland (GBA), Tomb Raider 2, 3, last revelation walkthroughs
Cash available: £21.63
Items to sell: Hogs of War (PS1), MGS Twin Snakes (GC)
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Had a sale myself today - Mrs NGM accepted a best offer of £15 for those Singstar Mics. After fees and postage I cleared #10 so that's going to be added to my cash total. Not got much else left to sell but now the carboots are drawing to a close it looks like eBay is going to be the main one with some hopeful Facebook bargains to snag if I'm lucky...
n-g-m

Postby gingerraccoon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:24 pm

After having a torrid time of eBay luck recently with things received and sent going awol, had a bit of a break yesterday with metal gear solid finally selling. Was contemplating dropping the price when I sold it for £44.99, £39.90 after all fees and postage etc. That leaves me with a fairly nice war chest of £61.53.

So I’m at:

Gingerraccoon:
Games added: Crash Bandicoot XS (GBA), Yoshis Story (N64), Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA), Tomb Raider Revelation, 2&3 Strategy Guides
Cash available: £61.53
Items to sell: Hogs of War (PS1)
gingerraccoon

Postby gingerraccoon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Me again. Been a busy bee once more...Sold hogs of war for a lovely £10.50, (£8.15 after the usual stuff), then got a cheap copy of mgs twin snakes for the gamecube again for £29.76 and a gamecube bundle off facebook for £35. This included: smash bros, mario sunshine, die hard vendetta, sonic collection, turok evolution and 007 nightfire. Mario and smash bros went straight on ebay with the usual £1 fee promo and marios already sold for a shockingly high £24.99 (£20.58 after fees etc). Not sure what to do with the other games at the mo, all look virtually unplayed in good condtion, but already have sonic, might keep nightfire, not fussed bout the rest but not worth owt really. The mario money has already gone on 'The history of sonic the hedgehog' book. Played on the sellers paranoia of no bids with a few hours left with a couple of offers and eventually got for £20.50, £3 cheaper than starting bid. Oh and i bought mashed for ps2 from cex for £1. So all that tooing and froing looks like this...

Gingerraccoon:
Games added: Crash Bandicoot XS (GBA), Yoshis Story (N64), Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA), Tomb Raider Revelation, 2&3 Strategy Guides, Mashed (PS2), 007 Nightfire (GC), The History of Sonic the Hedgehog (book)
Cash available: £4
Items to sell: MGS Twin Snakes (GC), Smash Bros Melee (GC), Sonic Collection (GC), Die Hard Vendetta (GC), Turok Evolution (GC)
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:49 am

All updated.

Some nice stashes developing with just under two months to go...

I just bought two games this week but not sure which challenge to attribute them to. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do, I'll make up my mind!

A very good Cube score there Gingerraccoon. I've seen a few good deals on Facebook Marketplace but sadly, they're all to far away from me and wouldn't consider posting.

I'm investigating a different tactic at the moment, similar to Gingerraccoon, which is basically look up original Xbox games at auction and sell on as Buy It Now. Eg Simpsons Hit and Run. You can get them for about £6-7 if lucky and they usually sell fairly quickly for £12. We shall see if it works or not see as I still have a respectable budget of sorts...
n-g-m

Postby gingerraccoon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:09 pm

With the number of £1 final seller fee weekends ngm that sounds like a shout. I refined my tactic by chance as it was the games I was initially after; GameCube exclusives largely with mario characters. Totted up I’ve bought 11 copies of luigis mansion this year lol.

But the good news is I weirdly had everything on my eBay sell within a couple of hours and everything going for their ambitious asking prices too. This was mgs and smash bros (and other non challenge games). Also frequented cex and bought a very good condition boxed ‘uDraw’ tablet and game for the wii intended for my 2 year old for a whopping 50p. I won’t bore with fees etc but all in all leaves me with a nice kitty of £63.98.

So the stats look like this and I thought I’d chuck in a pic of what I’ve got at the mo too cos it’s been a while.

Gingerraccoon:
Games added: Crash Bandicoot XS (GBA), Yoshis Story (N64), Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA), Tomb Raider Revelation, 2&3 Strategy Guides, Mashed (PS2), 007 Nightfire (GC), The History of Sonic the Hedgehog (book), uDraw tablet & game (wii)
Cash available: £63.98
Items to sell: Sonic Collection (GC), Die Hard Vendetta (GC), Turok Evolution (GC)

gingerraccoon

Postby gingerraccoon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:01 pm

I know this has to reduced to pretty much my thread but I’m carrying on regardless.

Lots of ins and outs but here’s the headlines: ins: shovel knight for wii u (13.50), twilight princess for GameCube (22), smash bros and starfox adventures (16.45). Keeping shovel knight. Twilight and smash gone almost instantly meaning I basically got shovel knight for 20p. Already spent a load of the profits but will wait till things turn up to report. So...

Gingerraccoon:
Games added: Crash Bandicoot XS (GBA), Yoshis Story (N64), Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA), Tomb Raider Revelation, 2&3 Strategy Guides, Mashed (PS2), The History of Sonic the Hedgehog (book), uDraw tablet & game (wii), shovel knight (wii u)
Cash available: £63.82
Items to sell: Sonic Collection (GC), Die Hard Vendetta (GC), Turok Evolution (GC), 007 Nightfire (GC), starfox adventures (GC)
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:51 pm

You've done really well for 5 months there Gingerraccoon :) And in profit! You should start your own challenge blog one day ;) :D :lol:

Did you go to Doncaster this weekend? It was my first time and to start with it was a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights!
n-g-m

Postby gingerraccoon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 am

Cheers ngm, there’s been more wheeling and dealing but i’ll probably just do an update at the end point to save spamming the forum. I’ve probably been buying and selling for 18 months or so now I guess, pretty much as the only way to be able to justify and afford adding to the collection without taking from family funds. I use my PayPal as pretty much my gaming bank account so have always just gauged how I’m doing by if there’s any money or not in there. This has been a good exercise in really scrutinising and crunching the real cost.

I went to donny in July, picking up a wave bird from the wonderful gunstar, but the combo of me being a more selective collector now and a tight bastard lol meant I came away fairly light. Nonetheless it’s an annual pilgrimage so will be back next summer. I do a fair amount of gaming artwork on redbubble so am seriously tempted to have a stall this time next year. On fb and at other events I see a lot questionable quality homemade merch and am fairly confident my illustrations stand up well against these. We’ll see.
gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 pm

gingerraccoon wrote:I do a fair amount of gaming artwork on redbubble so am seriously tempted to have a stall this time next year. On fb and at other events I see a lot questionable quality homemade merch and am fairly confident my illustrations stand up well against these. We’ll see.

Sounds interesting mate - you'll have to point me in your direction so I can have a look ;)
n-g-m

Postby gingerraccoon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:08 am

Here you go fella if you’re interested: https://www.redbubble.com/people/ginger ... /portfolio

Alas a fair bit has been taken off for copyright lol, and a bit cliche but I’m thinking maybe coasters, multi frames of sonic, tails, knuckles, robotnik etc. Maybe mugs. I dunno, prolly won’t happen. Someone contacted me on redbubble to do some crash cushions and got this cool pic of the set:

gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:44 pm

They're really smart mate :) You might feature in my collection challenge blog next year ;)
n-g-m

Postby gunstarhero » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 am

@gingerraccoon - they look fab sir :D
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby gingerraccoon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Very nice of you both, much appreciated. I might start looking into stuff properly in the new year then. Tbh it was just initially doing a few designs for cushions in my own room (below). But then was a nice distraction from the oft corporate design day job.

gingerraccoon

Postby n-g-m » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Hmmm...Could NGM just have made things interesting with just 2 weeks to go? It looked like a straight shoot-out between Gingerraccoon and MysterionMunky but this little deal which I acquired today might throw a spanner in the works!

My brother-in-law sent me a photo of this saying a guy where he works was selling it and wondered if I wanted it. I was at work and Mrs NGM nearly passed on it by telling him she was unsure if I would want it. I frantically texted him back saying "Buy It!" He got it for £20, and therefore so did I!

I need CTR and have the other Crash/Spyro and Rayman. Actua Golf doesn't interest me and I have a PS2 to play games on so don't need a PS!. Therefore the rest can go!

Stats are now...

n-g-m:
Games added: Marvel vs Capcom 2 (PS2), Vampire Rain (Xbox 360), Dragon's Dogma & A Realm Reborn (PS3), Combat of Giants: Dragons (DS), CTR (PS1)
Cash available: £28.50
Items to sell: - 4 PS1 games, PS1 Console, 2 pads + Crash 1&3, Spyro 2, Actua Golf 3, Rayman and 2 cheat cartridges.
n-g-m

Postby gingerraccoon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Soooo.... you’re telling me I’ve been shunning my friends and family, sitting in a darkened room hammering f5 on ebay for the last 6 months for nothing?! Or have I... (maniacal laugh).
gingerraccoon

Previous

Return to Retro Gaming