Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Ebay advice needed please

Selling some retro games on eBay? Feel free to share your links with the community.

Ebay advice needed please

Postby alistairthomas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello all, I've been having a second clear out of old games on ebay and a lot of my auctions have ended today.

One of the items I was selling was Mortal Kombat 3 for the Game Gear, boxed and complete but not working (this was clear in the item description). I listed all my items at auction with a starting bid of £0.99, and surprisingly this one shot up to £51.51 as the winning bid. Soon after, I received this message:

"Hi, To be honest I wasn't really expecting to win this I think the high bidder cancelled their bid at the last minute. I'm sorry I would like to retract my bid, can you offer it to the next high bidder?"

I then replied "Why was a bid made 3 minutes before the auction was due to end?"

To which he replied: "Why did the other bidder bid multiple times and edge my original bid from £33 all the way up to £55 then retract those bids right before the auction ended. I guess we'll never know. Either way sorry but £50 for a game that doesn't work is too much for me, guess I got carried away on the heat of the moment. I'll give you £30 for it or you can relist it, raise a case and I'll process it immediately. Cheers."

I then replied "Hello, I'll look into this and see where I stand as I don't want to be scammed. I'm not saying that's what you are doing but I'm still new to this ebay selling. I will leave the situation as is for the time being. I suggest perhaps not bidding for things unless you're sure you want them as it's a waste of everyone's time."

My immediate response is to assume some kind of scam (along the lines of two people pushing a price up so nobody else goes for it, then make an offer far below the winning bid), but I don't know, the guy does have good positive feedback and he has already paid for another item he won. It's a little weird about the other bidder though - he cancelled two high bids stating he entered the wrong amount, and his final bid of £60 was retracted shortly after this guy made his winning bid.

I guess my question is, what's the best course of action to take? I've done a little reading around the subject and that seems to point me towards waiting 4 days before marking the item as unpaid and then eventually relisting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Link to the ended auction: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302417916335?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649
alistairthomas

Re: Ebay advice needed please

Postby The Saint » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:33 pm

First of all:

1) how did the person who contacted you know another seller had a bid retracted? He must know the person who made the other bids - it's a form of reverse shill bidding.

2) did you actually have any retracted bids? You get notified.

If I were you, I'd relist it and add the buyer to the blocked bidders list, I'd also make a note from all bids on the auction to see who did make the bids (I know you can't tell but partial text strings and feedback scores can easily be cross checked from auction to auction.

I reckon what you said is true. I've never had thus happen to me in 15 years but I block people the moment I smell something fishy.

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
The Saint

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Postby Schlibbylibby » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 pm

If you have a bid on an it but aren't the high bidder, and then the high bidder retracts their bid which makes you the high bidder, eBay will send you an email informing you that a bid was retracted and you are now the high bidder
Schlibbylibby

Postby RetroBob » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Personally I would't let them off an sell it for £30, they are trying it on - I would reply back and say that "If you didn't want to pay £50 then you shouldn't have bid that amount, you know what you were doing".

You can raise a case as a non paying bidder but it'll take a while and he still won't pay and even if he does (or not), he might leave you negative feedback out of spite. So, check what the process is for second chance offers (I don't know), as I understand you can do this process on eBay, not sure if they have to request to cancel their purchase first or not? The next bid lower was £50.51 and buyer below that at £45, so those aren't to far off and it sounds like this twat is going to give you the runaround.

Alternatively you can relist and hope it goes that high again - do specify it is relisted due to non paying bidder.

Also noted that you specified the game does not work - have you tried giving the contacts a clean with a cotton bud and some surgical spirit? It'll get you a better price no doubt.
RetroBob

Postby alistairthomas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Thank you for the advice :)

I decided to agree on cancelling the winning bid with the guy and sent a second chance offer to the next highest bidder. This is the correspondence back and forth:

BIDDER: I thought you sold this item dude? As I lost out to it? I'm confused as to why it's popped up again?

ME: Hello, when you retracted your bid of £60 it went down to the next highest bidder. They said they didn't expect to win and didn't want it and asked me to cancel their bid.

BIDDER: Ok then I see,I wasn't expecting it to go for that much as it don't work,now if you can show it me working I would offer you abit more than my retracted bid,it was to much of a chance to take knowing it might not work,if you can understand what I mean

This struck me as a little odd, as quite early on into the auction, this guy asked me if I could test it again as it could just be that the contacts needed cleaning. I replied to him saying that I no longer had access to a Game Gear so it would still be sold as not working, and that was that. Anyways, the correspondence regarding the second chance offer continues:

ME: Hello, I didn't expect it to go for that either to be honest, but perhaps next time you should only bid what you're prepared to go with as you did make 2 bids of £50 (although one was retracted). It did state in the listing that it doesn't work and I believe I confirmed again in a message. Can I take it you're not interested?

BIDDER: Please do not try and pull the wool over my eyes and tell me what to do,telling me the guy didn't want it who won(when he would of got it abit cheaper)that just tells me you got someone to bid up for you or you have another account and no I'm not interested leave alone,also these messages are monitored

ME: Not what I'm doing at all as believe it or not there are some honest people around. Your response does increase my initial suspicions that you and the other high bidder were trying to scam me through shield bidding. I may be new to ebay but I'm not stupid. I'll retract the second chance offer and block you from further bidding on any future auctions of mine, save us both any unwanted hassle in future.

As for messages being monitored, that's a good thing. I have a full record of the correspondence I've sent anx received from both you and the other high bidder.

Thank you.

The bolded part again struck me as a little odd, because if I'm reading the bid history correctly, it seemed to actually be him that was increasing the bid price. As I stated, I've blocked him and the other guy just to be on the safe side. I was going to to a second chance bid to the third highest bidder, but the thought also occurred to me that if this was a shield bidding scam, maybe that's what they were wanting me to do in the first place.

As it stands, I've since relisted the item and if it doesn't sell at auction this time, I'm going to put it on for a BIN. If it still doesn't sell, it can go back in the box of 'things I need to clear out' for the another ten years :D

I think the thing that gets me the most about this is that I am a genuinely stand-up moral person who would treat others as I would want them to treat me. This is my second time selling through ebay (I had a first clear out last year and was able to pay for a new car seat for my little one with the money I made) and I'm not looking to make a fortune, just a bit of spare cash from things I no longer have any use for. Although this is only one instance of it being a hassle, it does make me a little hesitant to use it in future.
alistairthomas

Postby The Saint » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:23 am

I wouldn't worry too much. This is par for the course with Ebay.

It's quite clear to me that both the bidders were colluding so I'd block both and just start over.

I've noticed that people who make the accusation of dishonesty are the ones who perpetuate this behaviour in the first place. So he has actually told you exactly what HE did.

There are always people trying the scam. It's against policy for you to accept money for the item outside of EBay and communication made to that end via Ebay messages you can drag to EBay as the user is being totally dishonest.

Glad you took the correct course of action. Just block them and I'll wager once resisted they will try it on again. Then email you once they can't bid and will ask why!!! :lol:

PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
The Saint

Postby RetroBob » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Did you try and get it working?
RetroBob

Postby paradiesel82 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi!

I was reading through this and my opinion is the same: they tried to rip you off!

It is a rare game, fact. Of course it is a bit of a let down that the game wont work, but at least the original box looks good which is very important for rare games.

That said, i am interested on bidding on your item. Unfortunately i cant, because i am from Germany and your listing says "no international postage". Would you be so kind and let me bid? And if yes, could you give me a quote on postage costs to Germany. I prefer "signed for" sending/tracked delivery for peace of mind.

I will send you a message on ebay right after posting here, please feel free to take a look at my flawless feedback to see that i am reliable and fast paying.

Thanks a lot in advance!
paradiesel82

Postby jamiewbartlett » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 am

Ebay in my opinion is becoming a really unreliable way of selling anymore. There are far too many people out their that are trying to trip you up and make a quick profit.

I personally stick to local/Facebook selling and it seems to do the trick.
jamiewbartlett

Postby alistairthomas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:36 pm

RetroBob wrote:Did you try and get it working?

Unfortunately no. The vast majority of games I'm selling I no longer have the systems for and don't know anyone with them either. It's a shame as I kept them around thinking I'll be able to play them again one day, but since becoming a dad, my PS3 has been untouched (quite literally - it's been packed up in its box in my wardrobe for nearly 2 years!) so I doubt I'll have the time for the retro consoles.

Now handheld gaming on the other hand...

EDIT:

Almost forgot, looks like you guys were right as I received this message earlier:

Hello dude I do apologise for the other week,as that was not me bidding on the old listing for this game,someone else had my phone,as you can see from my feed back I'm a genuine ebayer,I will keep on eye on this listing if that's ok with you

If he wants to keep an eye on it and then try and buy off the winner, fair play to him. If it sells for £10 and he buys it for around that then goes on to make a huge profit, again, fair play to him.

It was never about the fact that I could have got £50-£60 for it. I put it on at auction starting at £0.99, effectively saying I'd be happy with that. It's simply about the moral factor of making a bid, winning, then backing out.
alistairthomas

Postby The Saint » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 pm

I'd still block him. Underhand buyer.
Besides he'll find a way to bid on it - these bottom feeders always find a way...

PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
The Saint

Postby T Moleman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:58 am

Pretty much sums up why I hate using eBay.

As a general rule if I'm bidding on an item and there's retracted bids I'll retract my own and stay clear, while you are clearly innocent in this case the vast, vast majority of sellers are shill bidding their own items when this occurs.

Likewise when I'm selling an item if it's worth more than £20 (the max that can be claimed on an uninsured item with Royal Mail) it will be sent recorded and signed for every single time. Unfortunately this is the reality now, everyone is a potential scammer and given the amount of sweaty, dishevelled del boys that are out to make a quick buck off this hobby you can never be too careful.
T Moleman

Postby gamestechnology » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Typical ebay; 9 times out of 10 things go smoothly, but on occasion you get this sort of nonsense.
I would have cancelled and relisted as it sounds like the bidding was faked.
That's one of the problems with bidding auctions; with buy nows with best offer you at least have a little more choice of who to sell to.
I check the buying feedback and location of best offerers and try to limit potential hassle (I sell worldwide, but certain locations are a nightmare due to VERY long postage timescales).
The worst issue is a parcel going missing in transit and sometimes arriving after the buyer opens a case and gets refuned..
gamestechnology

Return to Everything eBay