Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Counterfeit Game

Selling some retro games on eBay? Feel free to share your links with the community.

Counterfeit Game

Postby Laterbot » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:07 am

Hi,
I'm new to this site so I am not 100% how everything is meant to work, and I am not sure if this topic should go under eBay, but I couldn't find a more suitable catagory for it... so here should do fine, unless you can tell me where it should go.

I've been collecting NES games for about a year now, not very seriously... I mainly look for major Nintendo titles like Mario, Metroid and Zelda. I don't know much about all the region codes and stuff, but I do know I look for PAL games, no idea what that means, but I have an Australian NES and it runs PAL A carts.
regardless, recently, I bought a copy of Zelda II for my NES (off eBay) and after less then a days use, its started glitching... not badly, just occasionally the game will slow down, or flicker... I've cleaned my NES before and all other carts work fine in it... but I have heard about counterfeit carts and been told they die quickly, so I'm wondering, how can I tell if the cart I bought is fake? the Label and colour, screw amount and back labels are fine... is there an easy tell? or if I open it up is there anything I should look for?

because the fact that it was working fine and immediately started deteriorating set off alarm bells for me... I've cleaned the contacts with an eraser and stuff, I've done everything you need to do if a cart is glitching normally, but I think this is more then just a dirty cart problem. So in both this case and with future purchases... how can I tell if a cart is counterfeit?
Laterbot

Re: Counterfeit Game

Postby Schlibbylibby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:01 am

You cleaned the contacts with an eraser? That's a new one to me. Not saying it's wrong just I've not heard it done that way before.

The issue is most likely due to a dirty cart. They can be a right pain on the NES. I suggest a good clean of the pins with rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud.

As to whether it's fake, upload some pics on here of the front and back if the cart. The best way to check is the circuit board however. A screwdriver can be picked up really cheap off eBay to open the carts.
Schlibbylibby

Postby Laterbot » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:29 am

Schlibbylibby wrote:You cleaned the contacts with an eraser? That's a new one to me. Not saying it's wrong just I've not heard it done that way before.

The issue is most likely due to a dirty cart. They can be a right pain on the NES. I suggest a good clean of the pins with rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud.

As to whether it's fake, upload some pics on here of the front and back if the cart. The best way to check is the circuit board however. A screwdriver can be picked up really cheap off eBay to open the carts.

Cleaning any computer chip with an eraser usually works fine... rubbing alcohol can damage them which is why i'm hesitant to use it... I already have the tools to open up the cart, but what should I look for to check if its fake?

also, it did improve after cleaning so I may just be paranoid :P
Laterbot

Postby Mayhem » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:53 pm

When it comes to the NES, number one issue for getting a game to work is cleaning dirty contacts on the cartridge slot and the board.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem

Postby Gentlepoke » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Simply take a picture of the circuit board and we can tell you if it is authentic or not.
Currently logging: N64 and 32x, more to be added over time.

Gentlepoke

Postby kirbydunker85 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 pm

I agree with cleaning the contacts to get the NES games to work. Keep us updated on how it goes!
kirbydunker85

Return to Everything eBay