Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Seller shipped my game with DHL without my approval - help

Selling some retro games on eBay? Feel free to share your links with the community.

Seller shipped my game with DHL without my approval - help

Postby ShinigamiKiba » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Guys, this is a pretty bad one and I don't know how to handle it.

I bought a DS game, Rhapsody A Musical Adventure supposedly factory sealed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322258768755?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

not that I care if it's sealed or not.
What matters is that, they never mentioned anything regarding DHL anywhere in the item descrption or I couldn't find it. DHL adds insanely high taxes even for the cheapest of items just for delivery let alone if the item stays there. They're a terribly greedy company we never use and the few times we were forced to use them we had an absolutely awful experience. If I knew the seller was using DHL to ship their items I would have bought my game from somebody else.

As you know I live in Europe, in Macedonia.
Now, DHL is absolutely insane here when it comes to adding fees to whatever package you get regardless of its value they ask for exceptionally high fees. I can not afford to pay twice for the game cost just to be allowed to pick it up. Of course with regular mail I don't have these problems.

I don't know what to do right now, if the seller refuses to cover the costs and they will I can't just return the product because guess what, they ask you to pay fees just as expensive for returning a product.
Believe me I've been down this road before, no matter how you look at it you get scrwed over and have to pay up to $50 in total even for cheap goods
ShinigamiKiba

Re: Seller shipped my game with DHL without my approval - he

Postby RetroBob » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 am

If they present you with additional fees then your only option is to return it.

To be fair to the seller, they don't state that they do or do not use DHL and it says, "International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.", you should probably have double checked with them beforehand.
RetroBob

Postby ShinigamiKiba » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:54 am

The problem with this is, that IMO you don't use an expensive mail delivery service by default and not warn your buyers about it.
I can't check with each buyer what service they used, especially when some games that pop up for cheap should be bought as soon as possible before somebody else buys them, granted this isn't one of those games but still.

I talked to ebay chat support and the lady said that if I end up having to pay high pees to file a complaint that the item wasn't as described and go from there, tho she wasn't sure if it would work but she believed it probably will
ShinigamiKiba

Postby Mayhem » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:24 pm

To be honest, the seller is probably worried that the game will get lost in the crappy mail system of an Eastern European country he is sending it to, and is using a method he knows should ensure the game arrives, and the buyer can't claim never turned up.

I'm not condoning his actions, just trying to see it from his side.

There are some countries I try not to ship to, and if I have to ship to them, I always send it tracked to make sure. Italy is one such place.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem

Postby ShinigamiKiba » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 pm

exactly why I always pay extra for tracking, just not through DHL
ShinigamiKiba

Postby ShinigamiKiba » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 pm

The seller responded, he said he didn't use the fast shipping method so he hopes they won't charge me anything extra, he said his shipping method delivers to my regular post office and the regular mailman should bring it to my door, not the DHL people.

So let's see if that's true
ShinigamiKiba

Postby UltraMagnus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:42 pm

ShinigamiKiba wrote:The problem with this is, that IMO you don't use an expensive mail delivery service by default and not warn your buyers about it.
I can't check with each buyer what service they used, especially when some games that pop up for cheap should be bought as soon as possible before somebody else buys them, granted this isn't one of those games but still.

I talked to ebay chat support and the lady said that if I end up having to pay high pees to file a complaint that the item wasn't as described and go from there, tho she wasn't sure if it would work but she believed it probably will

Why would he warn you, how are sellers supposed to know what countries have issues with certain delivery companies. He only knows the cost to send it, he has no idea what happens after he sends it.

If its such an issue, maybe you should have contacted him first.

As for the advice from the chat support, that is shocking and an abuse of the Ebay system and a rep should in no way be advising you to do that. Its a mark against the seller when he has done nothing wrong.
UltraMagnus

Postby grandiloquence » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Is it me or does the op have a lot of crises? Everything seems to be a huge drama!
grandiloquence

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Your concern with the DHL are the custom taxes and the price they take to handle the package themselves through customs. Just refuse to pay and try to clear the customs by yourself, it's much cheaper. Those private couriers are absolute thieves to manage packages through customs.
Willing to export and help people out whenever I can. Just drop me a PM if I can help somehow.
http://advancedcollection.blogspot.pt/
Saturn

Postby ThePony » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:03 am

No need to worry much with import fee's it shouldn't be much.
If the seller was thinking about it they would have marked the value lower than what you payed or prepaid the tax.
ThePony

Postby lastmarine » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Frankly in my opinion it is always the responsibility of the the BUYER to enure they have properly checked they understand and are happy with shipping arrangements. If you failed to organise things prior to purchase then I think it's unfair to pass any blame onto the seller. No one should be held responsible for not knowing what extra charges might be applicable from which delivery service when shipping to foriegn countries. With all due respect, I think it is complaints like these that often cause sellers to refuse to ship abroad. I find it really annoying when a selller in the US wont ship to me in the UK, as 'he's fed up with the hassle it can cause' in other words, buyers moaning about taxes, long delivery times etc. Ergo genuine, no hassle buyers end up losing out. It only takes a minute to email a seller and enquire or respect specifics regarding delivery. Never assume anything, especially when the price is too good to be true.
lastmarine

Return to Everything eBay