Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Final Fantasy VII remake announced - opinions?

Found some gaming news and want to share it with fellow retro gamers? Discuss your news in here.

Final Fantasy VII remake announced - opinions?

Postby Stian » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm surprised to see that nobody has started a thread regarding Square Enix' announcement at E3 that they are finally remaking Final Fantasy VII.

It was one of my favourite games back in the late 90's, and I've been wondering why they didn't make a remake until now. It seems like a license to print money!

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on two things:
Why do you think Square Enix chose to remake the game now, and not for the 10th or 15th anniversary?
Are you excited to play it, or has Square Enix let you down too much in recent years?

We'll be talking about this for the next Passion for Pixels podcast, and I would be very grateful for any input from you guys that we can use on the show!
Stian

Re: Final Fantasy VII remake announced - opinions?

Postby Joe Boy 1986 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:55 pm

I think we need to be realistic here, this will be a long while before release. Winter 2016 maybe? If XV is anything to go by, they really will take their time.

I also assume that this will not be a direct remake. Can you imagine some of those crazy scenes in serious graphics? (Cloud dressed as a woman anyone?)

I just hope to god they don't faff about with the battle system, I do miss the old JRPG battle systems...
Joe Boy 1986

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/J

Postby Stian » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 am

Joe Boy 1986 wrote:I think we need to be realistic here, this will be a long while before release. Winter 2016 maybe? If XV is anything to go by, they really will take their time.

I also assume that this will not be a direct remake. Can you imagine some of those crazy scenes in serious graphics? (Cloud dressed as a woman anyone?)

I just hope to god they don't faff about with the battle system, I do miss the old JRPG battle systems...

I believe it will be released for the 20th anniversary in 2017?

Good point regarding it not being a good idea to make it a direct remake. I actually didn't think about that. Some of the dating scenes from the Gold Saucer also spring to mind.

I also hope they don't mess too much with the battle system, but I think the materia system will get a makeover. I think they'll consider it too complicated for a modern game.
Stian

Postby Stian » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:20 pm

For those of you who'd like to hear the episode of Passion for Pixels, our retro gaming podcast, where we discuss the Final Fantasy VII remake, you can check it out in iTunes or right here on our blog.
Stian

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:10 pm

I dont think I could fave playing it all the way through again, although its better than the more recent episodes.
Metroid

Postby retroman123 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:38 am

It is gonna be the game of the century!
retroman123

Postby Cyphster » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:06 pm

I got giddy as a little girl.. and not a shamed to admit i might of got a little tear in my eye at ths sight of the trailer and the music...

though when i calmed down and came back to earth. i am a bit edgy about it. They should of reformed squaresoft and i would be happy. Square enix badge just scares me these days. That being said i hope they take there time with it a 2019 release please.

I been waiting years to play and holding myself for a trophy release. So they better give me the pc port on ps4 this xmas as i was dam excited this spring and it never came. Did ffx again on vita and loved it.
Cyphster

Postby Ogreatgames » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:43 pm

I think that Final Fantasy VII's remake is going to be fantastic and they should pour as much quality into it with the development time they do have!
http://www.ogreatgames.com Hey check out this great website for video games and much more!
Ogreatgames

Postby onehundredrupees » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Ogreatgames wrote:I think that Final Fantasy VII's remake is going to be fantastic and they should pour as much quality into it with the development time they do have!

Better they take as long as they like and make an amazing game than rush and release a questionable game.
onehundredrupees

Postby gamepopper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:30 pm

I would've liked the idea of it being a graphical update, the game itself being mostly unchanged, but with the 1990s being a different time and a different team working on it, it's gonna be much different. :/
gamepopper

Postby wonamik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:27 am

I just dont get why they released the original game last year if they been working on this all along, must hurt sales. or what u guys think?
wonamik

Postby Joe Boy 1986 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:02 pm

As if the remake wasn't good enough, they've now released the original on iOs! Man I'm so happy. :')

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/08/19/fina ... -ios-today
Joe Boy 1986

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/J

Postby Kru-Shack » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:04 pm

Let's see if the hype is coming when the release date comes closer.
Kru-Shack

Postby Kru-Shack » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Let's hope thy don't rush it ...
Kru-Shack

Postby Arkotype » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:27 pm

It was always one of my favourites so I'm glad they're doing it, but I'm not sure I trust Square to do it any justice as a remake.
arkotype.co — Videogames x Graphic Design x Print Projects.
Arkotype

Postby Davegorwill » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:27 am

This still is my fav game of all time!
Spending hours doing everything! Playing the game through just so you can go on a date with redxIII or Barrett at the gold saucer!
I really hope they stick with materia!
Davegorwill

Postby Mortis2deal » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Davegorwill wrote:This still is my fav game of all time!
Spending hours doing everything! Playing the game through just so you can go on a date with redxIII or Barrett at the gold saucer!
I really hope they stick with materia!

I am with you on this one......best game ever.

It was at least a decade or more ahead of its time and I cannot see it ever being beat IMO on terms of value, storyline, laughs, sadness and pure addictiveness.

Unfortunately I think its going to be a very differemt remake and there already taking parts of the Ff13's to make it which IMO os a bad idea and doubt the storyline will be as great......DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING PLEASE (EXCEPT OBVIOUSLY THE GRAPHICS). :D
url=http://www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/users/collection/Mortis2deal]Image[/url]
Mortis2deal

Postby kirbydunker85 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 pm

I may be very interested in this, as I never got the chance to own the original as a child. I always had to watch my friends play it.
kirbydunker85

Postby LucyHastings » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am

kirbydunker85 wrote:I may be very interested in this, as I never got the chance to own the original as a child. I always had to watch my friends play it.

Just so you know, it's overrated as sin; stick with VI or IX. VII and VIII tried to be edgy and gritty in their execution and if you can take those seriously, you are a better person than I am. Who am I kidding though? It's probably just me that thinks VII and VIII are embarrassments; for me, the dialogue is painful, the characters are bland, the music is average and the whole experience sticks around far longer than it should. The experience in these games isn't like Shadow Hearts or the Tales series, or even the earlier Koudelka, Earthbound or Chrono Trigger. I think quite a few people need to take off their nostalgia goggles and look at the games for what they are, rather than what they remember them as.
LucyHastings

Postby Sampanache » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Going over this thread, its surprising to see how long ago this was announced. I'm looking forward to is as I never played it originally properly
Sampanache

Next

Return to Gaming News & Headlines