Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

What other hobbies do you have outside of gaming?

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Re: What other hobbies do you have outside of gaming?

Postby hydr0x » Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 am

Cauterize wrote:Lots of fish and cars! Stew once again reminds me why I never want to be sat in his car when he is driving ;)

Hah, wait til you come visit me one day. We'll hit the Autobahn so you can learn why Germans automatically become the best race drivers in the world :lol:
hydr0x
Site Admin

Postby nakamura » Mon May 23, 2011 10:00 am

ninjabearhug wrote:Ah, a man after my own heart, some of my fav cars there! I've looked into buying a Supra or a Skyline a few times, and although the cars themselves are cheap enough I just can't justify spending that amount on insurance! Plus most companies want a tracker fitted to the car too, which means another £100 a year! Honda Civic Type R for me next, it'll be getting plenty of Spoon bits thrown in :P.

That is why I haven't picked up another MR2. While it wont cost me a lot to insure, it is the general costs now with petrol being so high and tax over £200 per year. I can afford it but it is a cost I could do without when saving for a mortgage. Will most likely get a bicycle instead!
Wanted Super Play and Total! magazines. PM me.
nakamura

Postby ninjabearhug » Mon May 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Cauterize wrote:Lots of fish and cars! Stew once again reminds me why I never want to be sat in his car when he is driving ;)

I'm a good driver, I may smash the crap out of my cars and destroy the engines and clutches, but never once had a collision with another car/person. A few walls on country lanes have been left worse off I suppose, but that's when I was just learning how to drift :lol: .

hydr0x wrote:Hah, wait til you come visit me one day. We'll hit the Autobahn so you can learn why Germans automatically become the best race drivers in the world :lol:

Been there, done that ;). Driving fast on the autobahns was nothing special to me TBH, it lost some of its fun by being legal :lol: . I'd much rather be blasting down a winding country lane in the Yorkshire moorside 8-) . Maybe the autobahns soften German drivers up a bit, there hasn't been a decent german rally driver since Walter Röhrl ;).
My Trade Feedback Thread

Currently Playing:, Gun-Hed (PCE), Uncharted 3 (PS3)
Last Game Completed: Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (GB)

ninjabearhug

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... on-91.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... ts-91.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/n ... My-Photos/

Postby hydr0x » Mon May 23, 2011 4:26 pm

ninjabearhug wrote:Been there, done that ;). Driving fast on the autobahns was nothing special to me TBH, it lost some of its fun by being legal :lol: .

true true, but I'm sure Adam will be mortified by the speed, tailgating, constant overtaking etc. If you're the fastest guy on the Autobahn you have to have good reaction times. To quote a guide for business travellers in Germany:

Several factors [e.g. population density, excessive rules and regulations that govern many aspects of daily life, the fact rather than relationship orientation of the German character] converge into a typically aggressive "driving culture" on the famed German autobahn. Germans can be extremely impatient and aggressive drivers. Reaction time on German roads is much shorter than, say, in North America, where lower speed limits and plentiful space enable a driver to simply take his or her time and take it easy to maneuver, be this while negotiating for a parking space, reacting to a green light, or permitting pedestrians to pass. Tailgating is very common and quite aggressive, especially on the left lane of the autobahn, where etiquette dictates that slower vehicles give way immediately by moving to the right lane. The absence of a speed limit also means that one is always catching up to the next car out in front and having to pass. Be prepared for much more "chasing" and maneuvering, which can make autobahn driving much more stressful.

I'd much rather be blasting down a winding country lane in the Yorkshire moorside 8-) .

Yeah, our country road are limited to 100 and it's hard to stay in that limit if you love driving fast :D

Maybe the autobahns soften German drivers up a bit, there hasn't been a decent german rally driver since Walter Röhrl ;).

Touché ;) Although we did have Armin Schwarz. Was mainly thinking of Formula racing obviously ;) We also have some very good touring car drivers. Maybe you have the better rally drivers because you still have a lot of unsurfaced roads? Just a theory of course :lol:
hydr0x
Site Admin

Postby RBT » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:04 am

Bushcraft and Birding are my main hobbies and I'm also a fan of Motorsport mostly Moto Gp and F1. and strangely there seems to a lot of fellow Pike fishermen on this forum must be something about retro gaming and fishing :D
RBT

Postby korruptor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 am

Dj-ing for me. When I'm not playing games.

Also run a podcast that's quite popular.
korruptor

Postby Videopac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I've a Classic motorcycle that im slowly restoring. Money is a little tight for that and I've recently made a mistake which could potentially cost me another £70 so not too chuffed about that.

Dabble in a bit of wargaming - would like to buy a new army - but again costs too much really.
Compliance.

Videopac

Postby pandorazellas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:48 pm

korruptor wrote:Dj-ing for me. When I'm not playing games.

Also run a podcast that's quite popular.

Podcast link please ^^

pandorazellas

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-688.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-688.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/p ... My-Photos/

Postby korruptor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:07 pm

korruptor

Postby Tinsair » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't have any other hobbies, unless you count drinking as one :D

I'm a full time carer for my dad, so that takes most of my time up.
Mega Drive: 3 | Mega-CD: 7 | 32X: 5
Master System: 1+1 Card | Jaguar 1 | N64: 14

My Want List
Tinsair

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-564.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-564.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Postby TombRaiderKuchen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:52 am

Other hobbies that don't involve games O.o

Not really. I do spend a lot of my time at university though. Then again, I'm studying Computer Science which is just full of gamers. Which reminds me, when I decided to study that course I thought "Maybe I'll meet some other gamer girls!". I was wrong. Still met some amazing people though! I spend a lot of time on computers and the internet, whether it's attempting to enjoy learning Java or just browsing.

I also like crafts and make geeky plush toys.
Image Image Image
I'm not brilliant yet, improving over time though. Actually the pictures are in the order that I made them in.
I also like cosplay. There isn't any cons around here so I've never been able to go to one. Atm I have a Lara Croft, Klonoa (nearly done) and a (nowhere near done) Bioshock Little Sister cosplay.

I like reading too. Currently reading The Hobbit. I prefer to read books along the lines of The Beach, A Clockwork Orange, 1984, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies etc.

And every once in a blue moon I go skiing. I've been to the French Alps and to Zermatt in Switzerland. Might be heading to Austria next year.
TombRaiderKuchen

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-683.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-683.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/T ... My-Photos/

Postby korruptor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:39 am

Tinsair, drinking is a sport, not a hobby ;)
korruptor

Postby mawa » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 am

my athor hobby is car audio.
I have put allot off time in my systeem so i now have a great SQL car audio setup.
This my setup:
The radio is from Alpine ( dvd screen )
front speakers : compo audio system helon
Subwoofer : Audio sytem X--ION 12-800
amp: 2 X Audio System F2-500
and allot of good cables

in the past i have play with rockford power series and kicker s15l7 with a kx2500.1 on it :)
For all my items for sale : http://www.ebay.com/sch/rklok/m.html?
evry week 75 to 150 new auctions starting at 1.99$
mawa

Postby nakamura » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:21 pm

mawa wrote:my athor hobby is car audio.
I have put allot off time in my systeem so i now have a great SQL car audio setup.
This my setup:
The radio is from Alpine ( dvd screen )
front speakers : compo audio system helon
Subwoofer : Audio sytem X--ION 12-800
amp: 2 X Audio System F2-500
and allot of good cables

in the past i have play with rockford power series and kicker s15l7 with a kx2500.1 on it :)

Never had an interest in this, still don't as a rule but my friend has shown me how to setup audio properly and there is a lot more to it than it seems. The level of depth he goes to pairing up all the different types of amps, speakers, subs and all that. Even the cables are also heavy duty stuff to avoid any kind of buzzing

Done properly, as I am sure you do it makes a huge difference to the sound quality. I knew another guy who just shoved a load of big speakers in his Skyline and it just sounded crap.
Wanted Super Play and Total! magazines. PM me.
nakamura

Postby mawa » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Everything is very well built and have a lot of parts of my car covered with attenuation measurements. ( dampening mats)
( Dont know the worth in english )

50mm power cable and very expansive RCA cables

has cost me much time and money but in my experience all worth it.

I have this all in my audi a4
and i have remove original Bose system for this setup
For all my items for sale : http://www.ebay.com/sch/rklok/m.html?
evry week 75 to 150 new auctions starting at 1.99$
mawa

Postby Videopac » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:33 pm

I had a 205 van which was pretty much bare metal inside but the owner before me had changed the speaker cables and the result was pretty decent. The chassis used to vibrate before the speakers buzzed.

If I wasn't looking to sell my current 205 I'd do the same.
Compliance.

Videopac

Postby Lord_Santa » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:40 pm

well, besides gaming, I enjoy Urban Exploring, adventuring in nature, photographing, writing and drawing

it all depends on time of year and what mood I'm in

photographing is something I can do all year around, whilst Urban exploring and adventuring in nature is something I prefer to do in the Spring/Summer-time

I also enjoy taking walks with my 4 cats
we've a small mountain/forest behind our house, where I usually take them a couple of times/month

3 of them are "outdoor cats", but the 4th is an indoor-cat, who enjoys the occasional stroll outside
then usually the other 3 come running and we walk about for an hour or so, just... enjoying nature

I photograph just about anything I find even remotely interesting, but in particular my cats

I have my own comic-book-character, whom I've drawn for almost 20 years
nothing I have any intention of showing off to anyone, but the closest family/friends, it's my little way of spending time, nothing else

same goes for my writing; I write a lot of poetry and short-novels, but not to try and make a living, merely to keep my mind focused

my main interest is however computers/consoles/games =)
Lord_Santa

Postby Segaseb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Motorcycles are a second passion finally had the money to buy myself a brand new motorcycle last year, i'm also into old cars my dad and i bought a bmw 850 csi together earlier this year to me imo still one of the nicest looking cars ever built. glad he supported my oppion!
I was huge into powerlifting, due to injuries i have to take it easy for now and that scared me a bit to go at it agian but i Still hit the gym 3-4 times a week, just training a little bit different these days. still enjoying weight lifting just not that hardcore as i used to be. it's safer to sit down and play games in the end :lol:
Segaseb

Postby lost ruin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:36 am

I play Sunday League football! I am 36 years old but can still hold my own against kids half my age!
I play for Bournville Celtic Football Club, been with them for over 10 years now! Started off as Winger/Striker, but now in my advancing years find myself playing Centre back or Full back!
lost ruin

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-720.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-720.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/l ... My-Photos/

Postby hydr0x » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 pm

I wouldn't even know where to start really, I have so many interests that I actually don't find the time to pursue them all. I'm actively avoiding a few hobbies to prevent complete overload :shock:

Interested in but not living out for now: Poker, Golf(!) and Comics

Besides gaming I enjoy reading a lot, be it non-fiction (mainly about games, movies, programming, natural sciences and geography) or fiction (mainly Forgotten Realms fantasy but I also love my detective stories from Holmes to Poirot).
As anyone who has seen my movie collection knows I'm also into those big time. I'm especially fond of classical Hollywood studio flicks from the 30s-60s but can enjoy almost everything.
Then I'm also into sports, although I don't find the time to spend on them that I'd like to. I mainly run and used to play Badminton regularly. Currently I'm not able to but try to play Tennis once in a while. I'm also always up for a game of footy if I'm invited ;)
Lately I also bike a lot, not so much as a sport but rather as a pastime, enjoying the landscapes etc.
Contrary to most, music is not a big hobby for me although I have my phases were I listen to some fav tracks all the time. Mainly into electronic and (embarrasingly) pop music. If it has pitched vocals I probably like it :lol:

Yeah, I guess that sums it up nicely unless you want to count self-educating as another hobby. I love to learn about new things, always trying to gobble up as much knowledge about the world as I can.
hydr0x
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion