Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Do you watch any films on VHS?

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby shotblue » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Are there any movies that you prefer to watch more on VHS? Let alone do you have certain movies you re-watch on VHS?
Guess these questions would be geared towards movie collectors more so.

Mine are :

The Goonies
Nightmare on Elm Street
Aladdin
Evil Dead
Spiderman 1

Yours?
Last edited by shotblue on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shotblue
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 am

Re: Best movies viewed on VHS

Postby hydr0x » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 pm

No, there is no such thing imho. Every movie ever made will look better on the most film-like medium on offer, which is currently Blu-ray.
User avatar
hydr0x
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Best movies viewed on VHS

Postby shotblue » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 pm

I edited the titled and question

But yes Obviously. Meant this to be a personal thing.

VHS gives you a certain quality that some might like to watch more often than a better quality version some cases. For many different reasons. Also sometimes VHS releases might offer what the current three might lack in terms of extra features, footage etc..
shotblue
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 am

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby maD_mAN1983 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:25 pm

i like to watch The Wraith and Terminator 2 on VHS
Image
User avatar
maD_mAN1983
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 pm
Location: Norway
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-875.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-875.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/m ... My-Photos/

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby MRCL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Yeah VHS is not like Vinyl, which adds to the experience. I'd rather listen to a Carol King LP on vinyl than mp3, however I don't watch VHS anymore. It adds nothing. And you have to rewind. And the more you watch the more it deteriorates. My VHS are on the attic, stored away. Not even my stoneage parents watch VHS anymore. The only VHS I will continue to watch are Skateboard tapes, since Skateboarding DVDs seem just wrong.
Image
User avatar
MRCL
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Switzerland
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... -1137.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1137.html

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby Lord_Santa » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:07 pm

I have a preference of watching movies made from late 70's to mid-90's on VHS on my CRT-TV, for the simple reason that it feels more genuine to watch them in my game-room/'"The boy-room I never had as a kid'

there's something special about VHS and while it may not be the same as vinyl vs. CD, I still enjoy the little things like a 'noisy' picture, etc.

having grown up with VHS and wasn't introduced to DVD's until 2003, I've got my fair share of love for VHS

add to that, the fact that VHS tapes are basically given away these days, hence I can get all the movies I want at no cost at all

I do realize that DVD's are cheap these days as well, but in all honesty - I've never watched Gremlins on DVD, nor do I care to
I like my old movies very much the same way I like my old games - in original format.
User avatar
Lord_Santa
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby Farzlepot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:57 pm

I haven't touched VHS for years. I didn't think anybody had. Even my parents finally got rid of their VHS player recently after transferring all the old family videos that should never been seen by anybody onto DVD. As I won't even buy DVDs anymore, opting exclusively for Blu-ray, you wouldn't find me going near one of those old tapes.

This isn't like that vinyl versus CD thing either (a preference which I've never really agreed with but can at least understand); it's more like choosing to listen to audio casettes over CDs. I can't imagine any reason for doing so. It's not like retro games either, which often look better on their native platform and worse on modern, upscaled platforms.

I suppose in this case it's sentimental? I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of there being a big VHS community out there, so it's not something I've given much thought to.
Image
User avatar
Farzlepot
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:52 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK
View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-153.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-153.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/F ... My-Photos/

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby Lord_Santa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 pm

I'll admit that to me it's a lot about nostalgia, since I also listen to audio-cassettes on my mono-speaker tape-recorder (also converting music-cd's/mp3's to audio-cassette)

I grew up with cassettes over vinyl, although my parents had a whole lot of vinyls and didn't get a CD-player until the mid 90's
I had a cassette-freestyle until early 2000's

as for VHS, I feel that watching film on VHS (as mentioned late 70's - mid 90's) in the way I did when I first watched them is part of the experience to me

since I have a retro-room, rather than a game-room, I've got a the cassette-player for the nights when I just want to lay on the couch or draw, etc., listening to mix-tapes
the retro-consoles (up until and including the PS2/GC/Xbox1 generation) are also hooked up in here to my 32" CRT-TV, as well as the VHS-player - sound is delivered from a pair of mid 80's speakers and a decent kenwood stereo

I do have newer generations of consoles, as well as a laptop hooked up to my 50" full hd plasma TV in the living-room and have speakers and stereo to match, hence I can at any given time go to the living-room and watch 1080p films on my laptop hooked up to my plasma, or listen to FLAC music on my stereo - but more often than not, I prefer to sit in the retro-room and relax instead

I guess to me it's about the package as a whole - as I would never hook my VHS up in the living-room, but in the retro-room it just fits perfectly in with the rest of the theme
User avatar
Lord_Santa
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby Noobish Hat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:15 am

Bluray looks like dog **** for everything except cartoons.

Laserdisc is where it's at.
Image
User avatar
Noobish Hat
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... -1858.html

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby hydr0x » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 am

Noobish Hat wrote:Bluray looks like dog **** for everything except cartoons.

Laserdisc is where it's at.


Bahahahahaah
User avatar
hydr0x
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby shotblue » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:36 pm

VHS is closer to in many respects to the analog original 35mm film which means the rough quality has uniqueness and benefits as format compared to mostly superior formats like DVD. VHS is really sought after by many retro film fans and its not simply based just on hiss and rewinding nostalgia. I guess it comes to understanding/looking up technical format knowledge to truly understand it better. I have some but don't think it’s the right place to elaborate on this here. Some people are even releasing limited edition new indie movies on VHS tapes. Funny enough VHS movies were still being made as recent as 2004-2005. Movies like the Punisher, Lord of the Rings, Spiderman 2 are all on VHS.

However super 8, betamax, laserdisc and 16mm in their native viewing format offer a far better analog film experience than VHS. But VHS is cool to collect as tons of movies have not been transferred into a digital format anyways, and for other reasons mentioned.
shotblue
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 am

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby hydr0x » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm

shotblue wrote:VHS is closer to in many respects to the analog original 35mm film which means the rough quality has uniqueness and benefits as format compared to mostly superior formats like DVD. VHS is really sought after by many retro film fans and its not simply based just on hiss and rewinding nostalgia. I guess it comes to understanding/looking up technical format knowledge to truly understand it better.


I'm sorry but this is a load of rubbish. VHS is analog yes, but it's not film, it's magnetic tape. The resolution of a VHS isn't anywhere even close to that of a 35mm film, not even a 16mm film. 35mm has no "rough quality". If you watch a pristine or restored 35mm print on good equipment it blows even Blu-ray out of the water. There is no inherent roughness or lower quality of 35mm. Just because we often got to see 4th generation copies that had been played hundreds of times and thus exhibited flaws doesn't mean the film was meant to be that way. In an ideal world we'd all always have been able to watch a new first generation 35mm copy which looks flawless.
User avatar
hydr0x
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby shotblue » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm

I never said it was film. By rough copy I meant the certain aspects of film are similar to most commonly experienced cracking and spots on film and aesthetically similar to the 35mm in contrast to the digitized transfers of dvd. Most movies due to basic copying for commerical distribution have a lot of the crackle and stuff but completely flawless new film is hard to watch. In a way it has become part of what film represents in a way. Most digitally shot movies never suffer from that trait that film is easily vulnerable for and can be spotted when watched..Obviously VHS is it worlds apart from the "resolution" of 35mm.


Refer back:

"However super 8, betamax, laserdisc and 16mm in their native viewing format offer a far better analog film experience than VHS.
for beta and laser i mean it resembles the film quality but obviously not the actual film."

I've seen people argue that vhs is similar to 35mm. I don't know enough technicalities to have a 100 percent solid back and forth argument like I already said . When I watch a dvd is appears to be digital in terms of transfer and vhs being analog tape and closer to the film in terms of aesthetical feel.


Check this out:

http://retroslashers.net/vhs-forever-th ... eo-horror/
shotblue
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 am

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby hydr0x » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 pm

shotblue wrote:I never said it was film. By rough copy I meant the certain aspects of film are similar to most commonly experienced cracking and spots on film and aesthetically similar to the 35mm in contrast to the digitized transfers of dvd. Most movies due to basic copying for commerical distribution have a lot of the crackle and stuff but completely flawless new film is hard to watch. In a way it has become part of what film represents in a way. Most digitally shot movies never suffer from that trait that film is easily vulnerable for and can be spotted when watched..Obviously VHS is it worlds apart from the "resolution" of 35mm.


This is still nonsense. Films do not have crackle, spots or "stuff" as inherent qualities. This is all just due to age and copying. The only actual visual quality/flaw of film is film grain, which is entirely reproduced on good Blu-rays. Arguing that VHS is closer to film because it also deteriorates and reproduces problems of bad film copies is like claiming one should hook up a SNES via RF because that's how most people used it back then, or to have Satellite/Cable receivers artificially add speckles and dropout to the picture because that is what terrestrial broadcasting looked like.

A film is intended to be without speckles and dirt and whatnot. If you asked a director he'd always wish for everyone to see the original copy. So, yes, watching VHS is purely down to nostalgia. Thinking that it looks more like film because you grew up watching lousy quality prints in local theaters is just nostalgia too.

I've seen people argue that vhs is similar to 35mm.


Then tell those people they should educate themselves ;)

When I watch a dvd is appears to be digital in terms of transfer and vhs being analog tape and closer to the film in terms of aesthetical feel.


Again, this is purely down to you being used to lousy quality film copies, it has no relation to what film actually should and does look like. The aesthetic feel of a VHS is worlds apart from that of the actual 35mm copy as seen when the movie premiered.



A perfect example of nostalgia. People preferring horror films to be presented with the same visual flaws as the one's they watched growing up is completely unrelated to the objective quality of the format. It's the same as listening to mono audio tapes. 80s SOV "films" are an entirely different topic anyways as those never looked like 35mm or even 16mm film. But a Blu-ray transfer of a SOV movie will still look exactly like the original tape.
User avatar
hydr0x
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby shotblue » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:43 am

film grain thats the word. I don't think your following or reading enough of what I write... I said I know crackle isn't inherent lol and there are other reasons than that. this is the third time you make that mistake. :P

Using words like rubbish and nonsense is bit silly here. Your free to argue what you want but your tone is a bit offputting.

End of conversation....

There are people including myself who like VHS and think there is a closer asthetic in terms of grain andcolor in some cases and "overall" feel than dvd which is digital. I'm leaving it here.

Obviously 35mm is vastly superior. No question. . I've seen and know others into technical film stuff who can school you on this subject. I see you point and your entitled to what you want. I disagre on merits of basic visual comparison.

End of Story.. Moving on
shotblue
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 am

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby hydr0x » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am

shotblue wrote:film grain thats the word. I don't think your following or reading enough of what I write... I said I know crackle isn't inherent lol and there are other reasons than that. this is the third time you make that mistake. :P

Using words like rubbish and nonsense is bit silly here. Your free to argue what you want but your tone is a bit offputting.

End of conversation....

There are people including myself who like VHS and think there is a closer asthetic in terms of grain andcolor in some cases and "overall" feel than dvd which is digital. I'm leaving it here.

Obviously 35mm is vastly superior. No question. . I've seen and know others into technical film stuff who can school you on this subject. I see you point and your entitled to what you want. I disagre on merits of basic visual comparison.

End of Story.. Moving on


No, I'm following just fine but you're mixing up personal tastes and actual facts. You say people like you who THINK there is a closer aesthetic in terms of grain and color. The magic word here is think. It's objectively, factually wrong. VHS does not look closer to the 35mm print in terms of grain and color than DVD or Blu-ray. You could theoretically even measure that. The rest is "overall feel", which is just voodoo and, as I said, purely down to being used to it.

You complain about my tone and then use an expression like "school" me? Seriously? I am studying media science and have watched a vast number of classic and modern films on all kinds of media, I have also read a plethora of books on articles on this and other topics of film history. So don't suggest I don't know what I'm talking about, or that 80s straight to video horror fans know it better.

If you REALLY want a final word on this, please ask some neutral authority on the subject. Some people that would actually reply to such a question include Gary Tooze from DVD Beaver or, much better, Torsten Kaiser of TLEFilms, who is one of the authorities on film restoration and is actually active on internet forums. An English forum you can find him on is blu-ray.com (see e.g. here http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=887). Please just ask him, he is way more skilled than I am to explain this to you.
User avatar
hydr0x
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby The Saint » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Not wanting into wading into the argument of what is better/worse/like etc...................

However, there are some films/Tv shows etc that you cannot get on DVD and I am someone who wants the originals of everything so......

If I could get it - Hollywood Shuffle with Robert Townsend - hilarious film and have not found it on DVD anywhere, so this would be probably the last remaining one for me.

TV shows - Up Pompeii as simply, you cannot get the series on DVD - which is a mystery to me as it was brilliant!

I do still have VHS recorder in my retro room, so would want to watch these and occaisonally the old videos of my football club from the early 1990s when they were decent!
Image

Currently Playing (November 2018):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Tenchu Stealth Assassins

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
User avatar
The Saint
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby underwaterlevel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 pm

MRCL wrote:Yeah VHS is not like Vinyl, which adds to the experience. I'd rather listen to a Carol King LP on vinyl than mp3, however I don't watch VHS anymore. It adds nothing. And you have to rewind. And the more you watch the more it deteriorates. My VHS are on the attic, stored away. Not even my stoneage parents watch VHS anymore. The only VHS I will continue to watch are Skateboard tapes, since Skateboarding DVDs seem just wrong.


Im same for the skating tapes, just seems wrong on dvd! Old school tapes is the $h7t!!!!! They cant put em all on dvd surely???? :D
underwaterlevel
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby Videopac » Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am

I have Flight of the Navigator on tape.


Compliance 8-)
Compliance.

Image
User avatar
Videopac
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:02 pm
Location: Brackley

Re: Do you watch any films on VHS?

Postby Videopac » Sun May 26, 2013 3:48 pm

I've just bought the Tekken film on VHS for a quid. I heard it's pretty pour but I'll watch and sell it on.
Compliance.

Image
User avatar
Videopac
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:02 pm
Location: Brackley

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests