Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Introduce yourself! (Please read 1st post)

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Re: Introduce yourself! (Please read 1st post)

Postby Fancybear » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:24 am

Hey! I'm Fancybear and I live in South East England, Kent and I've been collecting for about 10 years with a couple breaks here and there, I'm younger than most here - I'm 25. I predominately collect for the PS1, GameCube, N64 and Mega Drive. I joined this forum to expand my knowledge and possibly network with other collectors.

Some of my favorite games/series are: Monkey Island, MediEvil, Gunstar Heroes and Super Mario 64.:)
Fancybear

Postby SuperKMx » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Howdy!

I'm SuperKMx and I live in the glorious (?) south-west of England. I've been writing about games for about 20 years for all sorts of publications and sites. Tight deadlines meant that I missed a lot of games during the Xbox/PS2/DC/GC era that I either really wanted to play or just had a bizarre curiosity for.

I've always been up to speed with the latest platforms (I had to, as it's my job!) but just recently, I've really gotten into that 6th-gen era. At the end of 2017, I had 6 boxed games in total - all for modern platforms - as most review code comes digitally now. As of this morning, I've got 175 PS2/XB/GC/DC titles, an OSSC, about eight thrillion HDMI and component switches, remote controls and approximately eleventeen hundred thousand foot of HDMI cable. Finally got to the point where I can play or stream any of my consoles without changing any cables!

I'm not sure I'd call myself a "collector" per say, as I'm not really trying to go for complete sets (or anything like it). I'm mainly picking stuff up to stream. I'm grabbing stuff that I know is good, that I'm curious about, or that I missed the first time around. Or titles that I have absolutely no idea about that could be fun to play blind. Or that I find cheap at a boot sale or in a bargain bin! Or...well...OK, I'm addicted. Send help. :D
SuperKMx

Postby iconoclast12 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Well, I don't really like to talk about myself very much... I found and joined this site/forum after I found it doing some google searches for classic games, and since I love old-school video games so much and enjoy talking about them with others, I figured I would sign up and join the forums here.. As far as my name, location and such, I would prefer to remain anonymous..

What are my favorite consoles? It's pretty much a tie between the SNES and PS1.. I slightly favor the SNES a bit more.. After that, probably the Sega Saturn (as well as some Sega CD games) and the original NES.. I also love classic PC games..

I'm not much of an xbox fan.. Haven't been much of a Nintendo fan since after the N64.. When it comes to newer consoles, I love the PS4 and PS3 a lot, and have quite a few games for them.

As for handhelds, there are a LOT of great games on handhelds.. But, these days, now that I'm older (I'm 33) I do not prefer to play handhelds anymore.. Plus, I only have so much money to go around and can't afford to collect for handhelds as well as everything else.

I'm not a fan of a lot of newer games... There are certain series/companies that I follow, but beyond that, I do not like a lot of newer games.. I like the more unique, indie, and uncommon games (a lot of Japanese stuff)..

I don't like sports titles.. I don't like racing... I don't like bland linear actions games... I typically don't like having my hand held with a huge arrow pointing to where I need to go next. I prefer games with a bit of a learning curve, some depth and something that will last beyond 10 hours.

I don't like online multiplayer much (unless it's cooperative) and you won't find me playing CoD with a headset on xbox live with all my bros.....just not my style..

I LOVE OLD GAMES.. I like a lot of old-school stuff. I love RPG's and JRPG's.. Action RPG's.. I love strategy games.. I love strategy RPG's.. I love old side scrollers (mario, sonic, castlevania, etc). I also like certain first person shooters.. Namely the old ones like Quake, Duke Nukem, Doom, Blood, Shadow Warrior....you get the idea..

As for collecting...?

I wouldn't really say I'm a collector in the sense that most people think of what a collector is...

Collector's...well.....collect. They collect EVERYTHING..

I have quite a few video games, but I only have the video games that I want.. Games that I want to play and that I enjoy playing..

Honestly, I don't want everything.. I don't want every game for a specific system just so that I can say that I have every game for that system.. Why? Because honestly, there are a lot and I mean A LOT of crap games on every system and few gems.. Me? I just want the gems.. I only care about certain titles.. When it comes to the PS1, I'll track down the Konami titles, the Working Designs titles, the Atlus titles, squaresoft, capcom and such.. Games that I know will be good.
iconoclast12

Postby RetroBear » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:09 pm

I am a simple gamer with simple tastes. I should be more refined in what I look for and seek, but to be honest and very much like me, it's all a bit ragged and rough round the edges when it comes to collecting. I just love video games, and it's very much like the kid in the swet shop syndrome in if I see something nice and cheap enough I'm going to want it.

Believe me I've almost lost everything through chasing the dream of getting all the sought after stuff, so I've gone away and regrouped and hopefully now I have found a fair balance. I budget, I aim low and I find what I like. I have amassed quite a bit over the years, and the good thing for me is I find systems that are cheap to collect for without ever setting myself the goal of wanting a full set, or being too bothered if the manual is missing. A nice condition and in working order will do for me.

I should really call myself The Cheap Ass Gamer because in a nutshell that's what I am. If it is you who leaves behind the common or garden titles in charity shops, second hand retailers and car boots then I thank you, for without those I would not be able to partake in this most wonderful of hobbies celebrating a talent and technique to create enjoyment out of computer related stuff I cannot understand

I have a 2600, BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, C64, 128K+2, A500, A1200, NES, SMS, Mega Drive, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, XBox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, Wii, Switch and PS4 as well as Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, GBA and Game Gear. I love them all equally and will always do so. They provide me with joy every time they are switched on, and if you look at my collection stats some give me more joy than others, but they are loved equally

I should know better at my age (42 and a bit), but for anyone out there I am living proof of how you can do this the wrong way, learn from that and do it the way that you can do best. I take my place amongst fellow collectees, devotees and enthusiasts in the cheap seats where I shall always be, but proud to be called a gamer and game collector
RetroBear

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... on/statist
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... /RetroBear

Postby gunstarhero » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:06 pm

^ welcome everyone who has posted here recently, good to read your intro's and hope you enjoy being here.
gunstarhero

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-288.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-288.html
Collection Photos: http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/g ... My-Photos/

Postby workintended » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:29 am

I'm a 36 year old from BC, Canada; my childhood was built upon the NES and SNES. I played a LOT of games back in the day, since I was fortunate enough to live near a place that had cheap rentals, and a large selection. I mainly play SHMUPs and RPGs. I dabbled a bit with the N64, but the SNES is and always was my favorite console. It was painful saving up my allowance for those $120 game cartridges but oh so worth it once i snagged and played them.

Maybe because of this, my recent focus is on SNES/Playstation-like graphic games with good gameplay, and I usually avoid big name/brand/series games. But I'll give anything a shot. Gaming is life for me :D .
workintended

Postby ClarkeyCCFC » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi guys!

Big Sega fan here. as they were the consoles of choice when I was younger. My first was a Mega Drive & I loved it so much, that I stuck loyal to Sega since then.

Went through the teenage years with my trusty Saturn (The only person in my school who had one!) and then Dreamcast.

Collecting mainly the Saturn, but like to have bits and bobs of MD and Dreamcast too. Most of the stuff I own in the original copies I had when I was younger, which is nice when it comes to the memories of certain games. :)

These days, I also play Xbox One - the way Sony destroyed the Saturn still makes me refuse to cave in to the PS hype. :lol:
ClarkeyCCFC

Postby straydog » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Been using the site to track my collection for awhile but not really posting. Grew up on the Master System and its been a favorite ever since. Started collecting somewhat over 5 years ago as there was many games I never heard of or got to play. Started expanding to Mega Drive then PS1/PS2 and Nintendo 8 and 16 bit. Personally thats where I think retro gaming ends. Still play a fair bit at the arcades and for new gen just online shooters. From New Zealand, unsure if theres many Kiwis on here? Our market is quite small so rely on eBay a fair bit as resellers can dominate our market sometimes which is hugely frustrating. Right now trying to finish up collections while culling out filler titles as I am more of a quality over quantity but cant deny having a complete collection would be so badass.
straydog

new to forum longtime Nintendoage member

Postby zach1845 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:19 am

as well as digitpress ebay/amazon.(no longer I just sell for cheap on forums or craiglist) by cheap I mean 50% of ebay value. I have noticed that Atari or Coleco I have not seen and Repros of Rare games. Nes Snes Geneses is flooded with them. Hopefully there will not be thousands of copies of Intellivisons Congo Bongo in the Months to come. I think because there is less collectors for Atari/coleco/intellivion the fakes may not hit them as hard. anyway good to meet you all
zach1845

Postby JimBro » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 am

G'day,

I'm from Australia and somewhat new to the scene, I've been collecting for about 2 years now, anything and everything. I started with collecting VHS and VCR's then moved into CRT TV's. Then that led me to be offered a original xbox cheap an after that I had the bug. I grew up with the N64 an every now and then would get to go to my older brothers who had a master system, megadrive, dreamcast an ps2. Eventually got my own PS2 and original xbox which I played to death.

I now have a Master System, Megadrive, GameCube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, OG xbox, X360 & XONE ( in some cases multiple of the same console/ special editions ).

Cheers,
JimBro

Postby one-string » Wed May 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi

I'm a PS2 owner from England trying to build a small collection for that console, especially RPG titles. Not had the system long so completed only a few games, favourites being ICO, Ratchet & Clank and FFXII (all three purchased cheaply from charity shops).

Thinking of getting a handheld console too - maybe a Vita or 2DS, probably the 2DS as Nintendo will be a new experience for me! :D
one-string

Postby Dotz » Mon May 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Greetings RetroCollectors! (is that how you guys refer to yourselves?)

Let me start by telling you this forum is by far the one which it took me longest to register, it really is a hassle to join your community, but whatever..

I'm a Dutch retrogamecollector and player. I collect mainly for Playstation 1 and 2, but I also have a Playstation 3, SNES and Philips Videopac which I sometimes pick up some games for. I don't care too much for genres. As of yet I do not own any non-PAL games but I'm thinking about expanding my collection with some Japanese PS2-games.

I do not care for any complete collections (like having a full PAL-set, or all Capcom-games, for example). I do am a collector, but in general I won't buy games I do not have any intend of playing at some point in time.
Dotz

Postby T Moleman » Mon May 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Welcome all!

Dotz wrote:Greetings RetroCollectors! (is that how you guys refer to yourselves?)

Let me start by telling you this forum is by far the one which it took me longest to register, it really is a hassle to join your community, but whatever..

What was the issue?
T Moleman

Postby Dotz » Mon May 07, 2018 5:32 pm

You want me to go slightly offtopic and adress it over here? I don't know what's good customs on this community yet..

Well, as it's about a week ago I registered I'm not too sure how it exactly went down; but here goes.
I registered and, couldn't post immediately, one of your admins had to manually activate my account, I believe. While that's just old fashioned, it's not inherently bad. But when I tried to log in after a day or two I saw a message saying ''all passwords had been reset''. So as told I requested a new password with the ''Forgot my password''-link. I didn't receive anything.

Couple of days later I tried again, as I did want to join this community, it seemed nice and there aren't too many alternatives around which mainly focus on the PAL-region. I couldn't log in. So I tried to contact you via the ''contact us''-link in the bottom of your homepage. (I was wondering if I could join at all or maybe because of clicking that ''forgot my password''-link I might have messed up.) After writing my message I couldn't send it because your ReCaptcha was outdated. Then I thought of sending you a message but figured it wasn't really worth the effort and didn't want to lose my anonimity.
Dotz

Postby T Moleman » Mon May 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Yeah don't worry about going OT here, it will keep new users in the loop with a few things.

Unfortunately we're having to manually activate all accounts now due to the number of accounts that are spamming the site. To give you an idea roughly 85+% of all new signups are spam bots.

Again, unfortunately the current version of the site has a few bugs in it which leads to signout/password issues and occasionally throws in a few 'permission' bugs when viewing collection photos. This will be worked out of the new site with the new software when it eventually launches.

If at anytime you're having issues don't hesitate to contact an Admin or Mod, we're here to help and will keep any/all details confidential as required.
T Moleman

Postby Taneleer Tivan » Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for adding me. I've been a collector of stuff for years...coins, currency, comic books and games. I haven't been all the serious about collecting games, though I do own a couple of 2600's, a bunch of sealed and unsealed 2600 games, a Vic 20, an O.G. Xbox that I inherited, a Wii, an Xbox ONE that I bought my daughter for Christmas, and (humorously), a PS2 that I completely forgot that I owned because I bought it just before my kids were given a Wii for Christmas years ago and we used the Wii so much that I just shelved the PS2 and literally forgot I even bought it.

I've come back to collecting games after a short stint with Atari stuff and a long hiatus because I'm really tired of shelling out a lot of money for comic books that I used to be able to get for only a small fraction of what they cost today. Seriously, I'm seeing comics selling for hundreds and thousands of dollars that I used to buy for less than $100. Precisely BECAUSE I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, I'm going after OG Xbox games and PS2 games. I'm really enjoying the fact that I have the potential to find decent stuff at flea markets and second hand shops. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and finding something cool on the cheap is almost impossible now when collecting comic books and coins.

So far, I've been watching tons of youtube videos and learning everything I can about this stuff. After playing some games, I've decided I enjoy the fact that I'm collecting older stuff because I don't have time to play a ton of games and because Xbox games are still new and amazing to me! It's also nice to have the benefit of hindsight from you guys and to learn what's really good without having to buy a $50 game at the store only find out later that it's not that good. Based on what I've found and learned, I've been playing ICO, Ratchet and Clank and the Bard's Tale. I'm waiting to get a copy of Morrowind (an Ebay purchase) since I can't seem to find it locally and it seems like just the kind of thing I'd like. I think I either want to play RPGs that I can pick up and put down/"save" at a moments notice, or something light, like Ratchet and Clank, that's more about fun, and less realistic and serious. I can't play a game several hours at a time anymore.

Anyway, I have a billion questions, and I'll open up a thread here and there. Hope you guys can answer questions and just talk about this stuff.
AKA: The Collector
Taneleer Tivan

Postby Onslaught » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Josh and I'm from US in Charlotte, NC. I'm in my mid 40's and have been playing video games for as long as I can remember. I'm actually building a video game room in my house and that's how I found this place. My endless hours of searching about retro games led me here. I play just about any kind of games like shmups, RPG's, fighting, simulators, racing or whatever. The game room I'm working on will have my

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii-U, Switch
Master System, model 1 Genesis with M1 CD and 32-X, Saturn, Japanese Saturn, Dreamcast
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
X-Box, X-Box 360, X-Box One
PC Engine Duo R

I'll also have my C64C and Amiga 500 on a computer table with another NES and Saturn plunged into the monitor for light gun gaming.
Onslaught

Postby FamicomFella » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:04 am

I don't know any way how to start this post except for a simple "Hello."
I've been collecting retro games since September 2015, and since then, my "retro" collection has amassed over 200 games. My collection logged on this site is a little under the number of titles I actually own, but it's only missing around 5, so I'm not gonna fuss about that.
I don't really have any big goals other than to collect games I'm interested in. I'm really into platformers and puzzle games.
My biggest collection is my Atari 2600 collection; I own around 10% of the library. I know that's not much compared to other collections I've seen here, but I'm pretty proud of it.
Anyway, that's basically me in a nutshell. I'm not the guy with the biggest collection or the rarest games; I'm just a guy who loves retro games and is excited to share my passions with fellow fans. :)
Remember, folks: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start.
FamicomFella

Postby cs4mps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi all.

My name is Chris, I'm 36 and from Peterborough, UK.

I recently starting looking into collecting the old consoles and games that I used to love growing up, at the moment I'm mainly thinking of SNES and Mega Drive, but I also have fond memories of Master System, N64 and Sega Saturn so may well be on the lookout for those as well.

This week I decided to get started and bought myself a SNES and Mario World (easily my favourite game growing up). Loving it so far and can definitely see me continuing in this hobby. The feel of the actual console and the actual cartridge just did it for me, much more than playing on an emulator, as I've done on and off through the years.

So, yeah, that's it... no real collection as of yet, but certainly happy to see what looks like a decent community to get involved with while building one

Cheers!
Chris.

As of 06/07/2019...
Currently playing
Burnout 3: Takedown (Xbox) - going for all golds
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

Recently finished
Portal (360), Portal 2 (360), New Super Mario Bros (DS)
cs4mps

Postby RetroBob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Welcome Chris! I used to live in Peterborough a few years ago (not back in the day I should add). The shop in the indoor market used to be reasonable though not sure what it's like now - a lot of his stock was fading away in the window. Best thing I got there was a boxed NES for a fiver, that was maybe 9/10 years ago.
RetroBob

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion