Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Lego fans Unite

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Re: Lego fans Unite

Postby T Moleman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Honestly, that cloud city set looks abysmal and the £300 price tag just amplifies this 10 fold. If they were going to do it they should have done it right and had a multi level design akin to the death star set.

I think this will go down as one of the worst ever.
T Moleman

Postby Sturmwind » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:58 pm

T Moleman wrote:Honestly, that cloud city set looks abysmal and the £300 price tag just amplifies this 10 fold. If they were going to do it they should have done it right and had a multi level design akin to the death star set.

I think this will go down as one of the worst ever.

I think it will.

It's a complete mish-mash, isn't it?

It reminds me a bit of that UCS Hoth Set from a few years ago. Thrown together. I think they should have at least nailed the aesthetic and put a closed roof on the thing, and then had opening compartments or something. I may pick it up though and just do my own thing with it.

This is how it should be done.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/45637a2 ... 3127101c26

Sturmwind

Postby Sturmwind » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:52 am

Just a heads up, I noticed that the UCS Snowspeeder is now marked to be retired soon by Lego. Just in case anyone who wanted one had delayed purchasing this magnificent set.

It really is a great improvement over the 2003 release (even though the angle of the shoulder armour/repulsor housing is a bit off).

This set is destined to be an absolute classic IMO.

Sturmwind

Postby Flozem » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Since I have plenty of (retro) games now and found some nice Lego offers, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a couple of Lego Technic sets to get me started for this winter:

The smaller sets 42065 (x2), 42075 and 42079 to build once with my kids and for the parts (PF, IR, differentials) to use in own creations later on.

The huge sets 42055 Big Wheel Excavator, 42056 Porsche and 42082 Rough Terrain Crane to build on my own. BWE will be used as parts donor afterwards. The other two are too nice display models...

I am amazed to see how much Technic evolved by the way. Studless and nearly none of the parts I have from the 80s/90s sets are used nowadays. I feel old now... :roll:
Flozem

Collection Stats: www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/ ... ics/Flozem

Postby Sturmwind » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Flozem wrote:Since I have plenty of (retro) games now and found some nice Lego offers, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a couple of Lego Technic sets to get me started for this winter:

The smaller sets 42065 (x2), 42075 and 42079 to build once with my kids and for the parts (PF, IR, differentials) to use in own creations later on.

The huge sets 42055 Big Wheel Excavator, 42056 Porsche and 42082 Rough Terrain Crane to build on my own. BWE will be used as parts donor afterwards. The other two are too nice display models...

I am amazed to see how much Technic evolved by the way. Studless and nearly none of the parts I have from the 80s/90s sets are used nowadays. I feel old now... :roll:

Blimey, you have picked up an amazing batch of sets there, Flozem.

That lot will keep you going until Spring, never mind Winter. That is some seriously complex stuff.

The Rough Terrain Crane, Porsche 911 GT3 RS (hoping the designers will turn their attention to McLaren soon) and the Bucket Wheel Excavator are just mega sets, and on an entirely different level. I hope that you have braced yourself. :)

I agree with you too about the way in which the parts have been gradually evolved and refined over time. It can be quite jarring when comparing older sets to new.

These days it's proper working gearboxes, engines with working pistons, advanced hydraulic and pneumatic systems, all embedded within elegant design.

With the current Technic series there is so much good stuff available at the moment, as well as those that you list above, the 42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX land the 42080 Forest Machine have really grabbed my attention too.

You must have a planned build in mind for those donor parts?
Sturmwind

Postby Flozem » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:15 am

Good... I like the challenge. :D

I was thinking of recreating the heli I built back in the days that was slightly too heavy to get lift... (it did wobble up and down a bit though). The orientation of some of the new parts may help building a lighter frame and a better propellor. After that... well I like to experiment a lot and will likely buy a set of four PF L motors and a servo motor too. 8-)

On the topic of evolved parts: nowadays there are these prefab engines. I remember having to build the engine brick by brick on my 8841 set...
Flozem

Collection Stats: www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/ ... ics/Flozem

Postby Sturmwind » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am

Just in case you don’t already have it, for your experiments, Flozem, something that definitely makes life a lot easier these days is the availability of the Lego Digital Designer, LDD. It’s a free and official download and is basically CAD for Lego.

You can quickly put together and test your model virtually, and you are given access to an almost infinite number of pieces (Especially if you load the Digital Designer Extended library at the beginning). This really helps when formulating your own complex designs, you can really refine the required piece count and test out all systems etc. It’s an invaluable tool really.
Sturmwind

Postby Sturmwind » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Yet another gaming/Lego cross-over. Someone has been hands on with the entire new Lego Overwatch sets (due for release Jan 2019).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-iXDVYTW4U

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/2/1805 ... zzcon-2018

Not really a fan of Overwatch, but the 'Watchpoint: Gibraltar' set does interest me a little, the Spacey theme and the classic looking launch pad is nice.

Sturmwind

Postby deathtrappicnic » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm

I knew this forum was the best. AFOL all day. I have quite a few builds upstairs I only have one MOC though. I'll have to take some pics when I get the time
deathtrappicnic

Postby Maik87 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:58 pm

As a passionate Overwatch player I was really stunned when I read about the LEGO Overwatch sets. Right now I have the D.Va & Reinhardt set but I'm planning to buy more. Too bad the price is pretty high for the Overwatch sets which means I can't get them all at a time. Well now you have to excuse me I have to play Overwatch :)
If you want your Overwatch experience to get even more exciting then why not betting on your favorite Overwatch team? Best way to start your Overwatch betting career is to go on https://www.overwatch-bets.com and find the right betting site.
Maik87

Postby Sturmwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:57 pm

T Moleman wrote:I've been after the Tantive IV for sometime but it's a bit too pricey for my tastes, luckily it's one of the next ones up for a UCS set, same with the Y-Wing but that's just been released, still got the UCS Tie and Snow Speeder to build...

You were right about a newer version of the Tantive IV reappearing, T Moleman.

But I'm not sure that this is really what fans were hoping for in 2019?

https://brickset.com/sets/75244-1/Tantive-IV
Sturmwind

Postby T Moleman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:43 pm

It's a shame it's a playset rather than a UCS, way overpriced too, can't see this one lasting long.

Will probably pick it up once it's cheap, will look good next to a UCS Star Destroyer if they ever get round to it.
T Moleman

Postby Sturmwind » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Yep, way over priced. And I was definitely looking for an improved and updated UCS version. They seem to be skimping a bit on value lately.

I have the original UCS Star Destroyer and that one actually came with its own little mini Tantive IV build.
Sturmwind

Postby Sturmwind » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:07 pm

This is the original UCS Imperial Star Destroyer, Set : 10030 from 2002. These are her final pics before she goes off back to the Imperial Shipyards on Kuat, to be broken up, (well…..cleaned, packed up and put in to storage).

Lego have recently released a newer version.

I am a little bit biased, but I think that I prefer this slightly darker Battleship/Cruiser gray colour, it’s much more like an actual maritime Naval Dreadnought (the newer redesign comes in that much much lighter and brighter bluish-gray). I think I also prefer the design of the rear x3 main engine assembly with x4 emergency engines on this older version.

Her internal frame uses a unique system of opposing magnets from which her armour plating hangs, it’s an ingenious design.

Overall she comes in at approximately 1 metre in length, and is roughly a 4-day build. She has an internal hanger space, and there is also plenty of internal space for the creation of individual decks.

She comes with a mini Tantive IV and her UCS plaque. The manual weighs in at a hefty 226 pages.

Sturmwind

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion