Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Haven't been on RC for ages...

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Haven't been on RC for ages...

Postby Darkstalker90 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 pm

...what happened? Looks to have slowed right down with nowhere near the amount of posts that used to hit this forum. Most of the "big names" and vocal collectors aren't visible anymore and the market section seems to be dead too.

Has everybody moved to Facebook or has the retro collecting scene died off? I haven't been massively into gaming for a few years now (especially retro) so I feel like I might have missed something.

Anyway, hope everybody is good 8-)
Darkstalker90

Re: Haven't been on RC for ages...

Postby T Moleman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am

Bit of a mix really, loads have gone to Facebook or moved on entirely.

There was a stong core of users that were still very active in 2018 but even they have recently stopped using the site. I still regularly get messages asking about bug fixes, just last week I had 3 different users asking about avatar pictures so I can only assume that the broken code is playing a part in RC's downfall.
T Moleman

Postby Schlibbylibby » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm

No updates to the database in something like 2 years now
Schlibbylibby

Postby n-g-m » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:30 pm

I have noticed a distinct decline in forum posts in particular this year. Then there is also the photo uploading issue that has been going on for 3+ months now so no one can share photos. The site has been taken over by a new head boss but there has been visible radio silence for months - although I hope there is lots going on behind the scenes to improve the site.

Whilst I've been trying hard to keep the Retro Challenge going myself, there have been other regular threads such as Joes 52 game challenge disappear this year and I know he put in a huge amount of effort to run this.

The reasons why this place feel somewhat deserted at the current time could be due to lack of updates and the original site owners moving on to pastures new. Facebook groups seem to be where the marketplace has migrated to. Some of the more regular forumites have made their views on the current retro collecting scene very clear, mainly to do with greed that comes with high prices for selective games / systems.

I can not pinpoint exactly why the site seems to have dried up but can only hope that in the future it turns around as I have been around here since the site first opened but only actively posted much in the last 3 years or so. Ive also had the pleasure of meeting people face to face within the last year too. It's such a great idea and the only PAL resource that comes close in terms of detail on the web IMO. I hope it doesn't go to the dogs...
n-g-m

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Postby Darkstalker90 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:36 pm

So Cauterize and hydr0x are no longer around then?
Darkstalker90

Postby The Saint » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:19 pm

They are but Cauterize is taking a back seat with the new content boss taking over. I know Hydr0x has been doing the best he can but I honestly don't know why there hadn't been more info.

Welcome back Darkstalker - do keep posting as we are all still here

Currently Playing (May 2019):
Xbox: The Haunted Mansion
PS2 : The Great Escape
PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
ZX Spectrum - Bak To Skool (04/01/18), Skooldaze (13/01/18)
The Saint

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... -1474.html

Postby ewjim » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm genuinely fed up by the lack of input from the owner side of things. This has been expressed by myself with mixed results over the past couple of years. I call out hydrox he gets overly defensive about it, then nothing happens.

I'm in the background - always a message away :)
ewjim

Postby The Saint » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 pm

n-g-m wrote:I have noticed a distinct decline in forum posts in particular this year. Then there is also the photo uploading issue that has been going on for 3+ months now so no one can share photos. The site has been taken over by a new head boss but there has been visible radio silence for months - although I hope there is lots going on behind the scenes to improve the site.

Whilst I've been trying hard to keep the Retro Challenge going myself, there have been other regular threads such as Joes 52 game challenge disappear this year and I know he put in a huge amount of effort to run this.

The reasons why this place feel somewhat deserted at the current time could be due to lack of updates and the original site owners moving on to pastures new. Facebook groups seem to be where the marketplace has migrated to. Some of the more regular forumites have made their views on the current retro collecting scene very clear, mainly to do with greed that comes with high prices for selective games / systems.

I can not pinpoint exactly why the site seems to have dried up but can only hope that in the future it turns around as I have been around here since the site first opened but only actively posted much in the last 3 years or so. Ive also had the pleasure of meeting people face to face within the last year too. It's such a great idea and the only PAL resource that comes close in terms of detail on the web IMO. I hope it doesn't go to the dogs...

To which you have done a Sterling job sir. It's ace. Thanks for all the hard work.

PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
The Saint

Postby n-g-m » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks Saint - it's not easy trying to think of fresh ideas for challenges but I appreciate the feedback when posing suggestions that we could do in the future. I like doing it as it keeps me playing retro games and, due to most of us having much less time than we would ideally like to play games, it works quite nicely with short tasks that I can achieve something in half hour or so ;)
n-g-m

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/n

Postby Darkstalker90 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:59 pm

The Saint wrote:Welcome back Darkstalker - do keep posting as we are all still here

I will give it a go :) Sold most of my retro unfortunately and have only really been chipping away at PS4 games here and there so I'm a bit short on things to say.

One of the reasons I came back was to check out peoples wanted lists to see if anybody was interested in a Saturn that I'm going to be selling off (haven't switched it on in years). That was when I noticed the lack of posts and thought I'd ask about what's happened.

Ironically, struggled to make this post as there was a glitch with a big black bar across the middle of the screen and the preview/submit buttons wouldn't work... :roll: Had to keep zooming out until the buttons were above the black bar. Now THAT's some odd code.
Darkstalker90

Postby The Saint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Darkstalker90 wrote:
The Saint wrote:Welcome back Darkstalker - do keep posting as we are all still here

I will give it a go :) Sold most of my retro unfortunately and have only really been chipping away at PS4 games here and there so I'm a bit short on things to say.

One of the reasons I came back was to check out peoples wanted lists to see if anybody was interested in a Saturn that I'm going to be selling off (haven't switched it on in years). That was when I noticed the lack of posts and thought I'd ask about what's happened.

Ironically, struggled to make this post as there was a glitch with a big black bar across the middle of the screen and the preview/submit buttons wouldn't work... :roll: Had to keep zooming out until the buttons were above the black bar. Now THAT's some odd code.

Ironically I'm selling my Saturn collection too. Hardly switched it on this year.

PS1 - Silent Hill

- Completed:
The Saint

Postby Jack_Neuro » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:03 pm

Well i'm new here but i love reading the posts and like to share my adventures in retro gaming and collecting.
Jack_Neuro

Return to Off Topic Discussion