Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Anybody have thoughts on RetroPie?

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Anybody have thoughts on RetroPie?

Postby rseijas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 am

I know it may sound sacrilegious to say this on a retro collector forum, but I just wanted to know what everybody thought about RetroPie boxes and emulators of the older consoles like NES. Would anybody see a benefit to having their games in one place on one system, or is the original always king?

I was thinking of making a raspberry pi console to play some games and to step my toe into the waters of mini pc building as well. I'm not sure if there are big differences between the two versions of the games, online roms and actual cartridges. Any thoughts on this type of system?

Rob
rseijas

Re: Anybody have thoughts on RetroPie?

Postby HisNHerLP » Sun May 07, 2017 2:40 pm

I got a RetroPie 2 years ago, only set it up late last year and I love it! I honestly think its fantastic, To have everything in one place is great for me as I currently have very little space to own every console I want to play.

The set up I have is just basic RetroPie with only a handfull of games on each system so its not too overwhelming when it comes to picking a game, The games look fantastic on my TV, It takes up no space and Im more than happy with it.

I plan to make a Bartop MAME cabinet with it soon as its somthing I have always wanted to try and its the perfect thing for it.

If your on the fence, I say grab it, for the sake of £30 its great to play stuff which cost the earth now days, great little system
HisNHerLP

Postby Joe Boy 1986 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:38 pm

My knowledge of RetroPie's are sketchy at best. What do they do, where can you get them and what do they cost? Is it emulating?
Joe Boy 1986

Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... atistics/J

Postby rseijas » Mon May 08, 2017 2:01 am

Joe Boy 1986 wrote:My knowledge of RetroPie's are sketchy at best. What do they do, where can you get them and what do they cost? Is it emulating?

Yea they're emulation pcs that cost around $30 for the board and you usually build them yourself. They have their own simplified OS that can run emulation software pretty well and play games that are not 3D very well.
rseijas

Postby Nolivesleft » Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 am

To me retro collecting is all about playing the original software on the original hardware with the original controller. Thats something that emulation can never do. But for I think emulation isgreat for checking out games you might not have heard of or want to give a try. As the cost of retro games goes skyward emulating is the only way to reasonably affordably try out loads of games and the retropi is an amazing build of software to do this, and pretty simple to set up.

To anyone thinking of setting one up I would say definitely use a Pi3 though. And if your planning on trying out PS1 games then dont muck about and get a 128gb card because those PS1 disk images take up a lot of space.

So yes I like the Retropi - I think it has its place in retro collecting as a sort of "retro demo disk" device. But its no substitute for the real thing.
Nolivesleft

Postby Hypochondriac » Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 pm

I have one and it's great but with all those games it's a bit overwhelming and hard to concentrate on just one game.
Hypochondriac

Pi eyed project.

Postby Jack_Neuro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:06 pm

I am mentally chewing on an idea.
I'd like to take a Raspberry Pi, slap some emulators for 8-bit micros (C64, Speccy, CPC, Atari800, MSX etc) on it and starting to collect cassettes and disks from booters for that.
Snag being getting the data from a cassette or disk onto a SD card for the pi.
I don't want to use any rom image that i haven't scored the media for and i really can't deal with messing around with having half a dozen or so micros in my little game room. Not to mention long loading times.
Does anyone know of any hardware for pulling data off of disks and cassettes?

Any pointers would be appreciated. :)
Jack_Neuro

Postby KeyranSolo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:19 pm

I don't mind things like the RetroPie or emulators for that matter, if that's how you wanna play retro games, then go for it. Many times money doesn't allow you to buy an actual console or a really rare game you want to play, and if alternatives like the RetroPie allow you to play these games, then that's amazing IMO.

PRIMARILY COLLECT PS1 GAMES. SEE COLLECTION HERE: http://www.retrocollect.com/videogameda ... KeyranSolo
KeyranSolo

Postby Noobsaibot21 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 pm

There are way better options than Retropie these days - both hardware and software.

Software wise, stuff like Batocera is available on Raspberry Pie, you could stick Android on an X86 based PC (ie: an actual PC) and there are others (including on Windows) such as Launchbox/Bigbox.

On the hardware front, it's better to wait for a Raspberry Pi update if it must be a raspberry Pie. Or just get a micro PC. Or better yet, get a small Windows-based mini PC. In my case, I have a Dell Optiplex SFF's (Small form Factor) are a magnificent alternative. You could get one for next to nothing from local thrift stores, eBay/Craigslist etc... or even from local businesses. I got myself an Optiplex 390 for free (It's about 8 years old now but is still perfectly fine for retro stuff), stuck a €40 GPU in it and have pretty much everything up to Wii going on it without issue. Plus I have proper Windows too so I can play actual PC games no problem too. I mostly use it as a TV/Netflix streaming box as I have a gaming PC to handle everything modern and retro consoles with Everdrives for the retro stuff.

I'd HIGHLY suggest having a look at some vids from ETA Prime if you want to go down that road (He's worth the sub)

PC similar to the one I have:

Same PC playing some games:
Noobsaibot21

Return to Off Topic Discussion