Welcome to RetroCollect's Retro Gaming Forum. Here you'll meet a community for both classic game collectors and retro gamers. Should you want to discuss the best retro games or the rarest games around, register now and get involved with the best retro gaming forum online!

Lego fans Unite

Any discussion not related to gaming such as football, anime, music and life in general, belongs in here.

Lego fans Unite

Postby Sturmwind » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Any Lego fans, collectors, builders out there?

I have just finished building that monstrous Slave-1 set.
Sturmwind

Re: Lego fans Unite

Postby Sturmwind » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Here are some pics of the UCS Slave-1. I'd recommend this set to anyone, although my pics don't really do it any justice, in reality the thing feels more like a prop replica than a Lego set (you may have to squint a bit). Especially when propped up in the vertical on its included stand. It's a really interesting build too, lots of interesting techniques used, everything is fully modelled, the interior, the underside, the designer did an incredible job.

Last edited by Sturmwind on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sturmwind

Postby Schlibbylibby » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 pm

I do really like the bigger Star Wars vehicle sets, particularly the UCS sets. I would love get some more (only kits I have is a bigger AT-AT and the emperor is throne room) but I can’t think of anywhere I could put them to display them. They also ain’t cheap!
Schlibbylibby

Postby Sturmwind » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Schlibbylibby wrote:I do really like the bigger Star Wars vehicle sets, particularly the UCS sets. I would love get some more (only kits I have is a bigger AT-AT and the emperor is throne room) but I can’t think of anywhere I could put them to display them. They also ain’t cheap!

Yep, that's the age old problem, space (and dust).

I don't have the AT-AT or the Emperors Throne Room.
Sturmwind

Postby Sturmwind » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 am

A much less complicated build this time (in fact not really much of a build at all). The DC Justice League, Battle of Atlantis mini-set. The classic looking Atlantean guards were the big draw here, for me, those and the relatively rare Sand Green bricks. Has a slight glow in the dark feature, too.
Sturmwind

Postby T Moleman » Sat May 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Pics of the collection:

The 1st set I bought as an adult was the Desert Skiff 9496 about 6 years ago, I was really impressed with the minifigs and how lego had modified the bricks and colour tones to fit the Star Wars setting. It quickly grew.

I'm quite selective with the Star Wars stuff, it has to be from the original trilogy and has to instantly be recognisable as a design from Star Wars. Originally I looked at pics of the Sandcrawler and it looked like a cardboard box on tracks, only when I saw it in the real did I go for it.

I got Orthanc when it was dirt cheap before it went out of print, iirc £70ish, the trucks from Lego City I started as a mini collection to tide me over for the massive gaps in between worthwhile SW buys.
T Moleman

Postby Sturmwind » Sat May 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Oh, really lovely stuff there, Moleman.

You are a true connoisseur.

You are right about marketing pics of Lego sets, too. They don't really seem to do the sets justice, as you say, it is only when you see the things in the light of day.

With SW I try to stick to the original trilogy too, but I do definitely have lapses when something speculative or original trilogy-ish appears.

I really like those tankers that you have, particularly that larger one. Very nice indeed.

So, how do you keep on top of the dust problem? Is it Vacuum cleaner (and its associated risks) or the old rag?

Edit: There is a lot of other good stuff to look at in your pics and I have just noticed that you have that super-cool blue Ford Transit mk1 like van with camper, too.
Sturmwind

Postby T Moleman » Sat May 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Yeah, seeing things in the flesh certainly shows the sets off more. My local Lego store is the one in the Metrocentre in Gateshead, I would have left the Slave 1 set too if I hadn't seen it in the window, it's definitely a very impressive set and possibly my favourite SW so far.

Yup, I like the tankers too. I started the Truck/Lorry set as the Lego City theme isn't licenced and is usually quite cheap 2nd hand, you can pick up a bundle totalling 2-3000 pieces for as little as £60 and if you find sets that haven't been played with they can make decent display pieces. I stopped with these a while back due to space issues.

I don't have that many dust problems but when I do I use a dry, clean, brand new paint brush. Key thing to remember though is to keep it out of direct sunlight, Lego still fades quite quickly if sat on a windowsill.

I was watching this one a while ago, cracking price if you ask me.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-City-Bundle-/273084597646?nma=true&si=34Jk2i%252BTbumM9EocDw2pKr3IXMs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
T Moleman

Postby Sturmwind » Sun May 06, 2018 11:36 am

T Moleman wrote:Yeah, seeing things in the flesh certainly shows the sets off more. My local Lego store is the one in the Metrocentre in Gateshead, I would have left the Slave 1 set too if I hadn't seen it in the window, it's definitely a very impressive set and possibly my favourite SW so far.

Yes, I agree, it definitely looks the most 'right' from almost every angle, (I still can't believe that the designer fully modelled the underside with all the engines etc). The same designer did a version of the E-Wing, too.

T Moleman wrote:Yup, I like the tankers too. I started the Truck/Lorry set as the Lego City theme isn't licenced and is usually quite cheap 2nd hand, you can pick up a bundle totalling 2-3000 pieces for as little as £60 and if you find sets that haven't been played with they can make decent display pieces. I stopped with these a while back due to space issues.

Yes, I am actively looking for some decent tankers, I like the look of the one from the 'Tanker Truck Takedown' set too (though not as real looking as yours), I think that one even comes with an airport windsock!

T Moleman wrote:I don't have that many dust problems but when I do I use a dry, clean, brand new paint brush. Key thing to remember though is to keep it out of direct sunlight, Lego still fades quite quickly if sat on a windowsill.

Yes, I have one of those soft fan shaped brushes, you have to be careful, because you read about people using wire brushes and things to get in amongst the studs and wondering why the sets are all scratched up :) . The same is definitely true regarding the perils of sunlight, At the moment I mostly keep the larger sets in the cool and dark (which is a bit of a shame).

Blimey, it went for a steal! :o

Edit:
I will try to post some more pics of original trilogy SW UCS stuff either this eve or tmrw bank holiday.
Sturmwind

Postby Sturmwind » Sun May 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Here are some of the older UCS sets those that often go under the radar.

Set 10174: Lego UCS Imperial AT-ST. Yes it really is the size of a small child!

Image Image

The Lego UCS Y-Wing Attack Starfighter, set no 10134. This is quite a rare set, as for some reason, I think it was only for sale for a relatively short time, hence the Chinese Lego knock-off company, Lepin, has tried to rip it off continually over the past few years.

ImageImageImage

Technically this UCS is now defunct as Lego have now released a new UCS Y-Wing (last week). I will pick that one up, but it is a shame that they didn’t give us a red or a blue livery, it’s yellow again, but still a nice variation as it has the darker engine pylons (same as the Lepin knock off actually) and it will have landing gear and revised detailing etc.

This isn’t a UCS, but is a bit of an unusual one, it is the Imperial Landing Craft that appeared briefly in theStar Wars Special Edition.
ImageImage

And I’ll include this because I think that this set has aged quite well, at least in terms of UCS Lego design. The UCS Rebel Blockade Runner (Tantive IV) from 2001, set no 10019. It is difficult to properly get the scale of this version across with my camera. But they did release a much much smaller version of the Tantive IV in 2009. The Rebel Trooper mini-figs didn’t come with this set, they were released in much later sets.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Sturmwind

Postby T Moleman » Sun May 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Those are some really nice sets there mate, it's especially nice to see some of the more unusual ones like the Lander and UCS AT-ST. I've been after the Tantive IV for sometime but it's a bit too pricey for my tastes, luckily it's one of the next ones up for a UCS set, same with the Y-Wing but that's just been released, still got the UCS Tie and Snow Speeder to build...
T Moleman

Postby Sturmwind » Mon May 07, 2018 7:30 pm

T Moleman wrote: still got the UCS Tie and Snow Speeder to build...

I can relate to such building backlogs.

Our only consolation, I suppose, is that sets are taking up a hell of a lot less space whilst they remain in their boxes. (which is a terrible thing to say, I know).
Sturmwind

Postby Sturmwind » Sat May 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Good news, a new and improved Imperial Landing Craft set is soon to be released. As well as a new mini Hoth Medical Chamber (A cheap way to get 2-1B :) ).

https://brickset.com/article/36145/thre ... s-unveiled!

https://brickset.com/sets/75221-1/Imper ... ding-Craft

I'll probably leave the stickers off when building, much prefer the printed tiles where possible.
Sturmwind

Postby Flozem » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:08 am

I love seeing these Lego StarWars sets... Though the price is what is keeping me. I'll stick to building with my old Lego's when my daughters feel like playing. ;)
Flozem

Collection Stats: www.retrocollect.com/videogamedatabase/ ... ics/Flozem

Postby rodarkone » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:35 pm

My little corner of joy

rodarkone

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-428.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-428.html

Postby Sturmwind » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 pm

rodarkone wrote:My little corner of joy

You've got some great stuff there, rodarkone.

Is that the Rogue One Tie Striker, on the far left beneath the Resistance Bomber?

I was well impressed with the Tie Striker as a lego model/build (and the U-Wing for that matter, all done very well).
Sturmwind

Postby Sturmwind » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:52 pm

The Voltron release details have been finalised.

https://brickset.com/article/36957/voltron-at-last!

Sturmwind

Postby rodarkone » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Voltron model looks awesome can't wait to buy it :)

rodarkone

View Collection: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/show ... n-428.html
Collection Stats: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/coll ... s-428.html

Postby Sturmwind » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:00 pm

A very well written review of the Voltron set can be found here;

https://brickset.com/article/37332/review-21311-voltron

Sturmwind

Return to Off Topic Discussion